Family Business Employment Guidelines
Hiring family members in your family business is both an opportunity and a challenge of family business. It is very important to clearly delineate between the family member relationship and the employee relationship and to define clear expectations.
Join us in a discussion of best practices when employing family members including:
* Will family members seeking full-time employment be encouraged to work in an outside business venture before joining the family business?
* Should your family business have a "no in-laws" policy?
* Should a job be created for a family member when no openings are currently available? What is the rationale for this decision?
* How to go about establishing boundaries and ways of avoiding favoritism of family members?
* Do family members have to adhere to behavior and performance standards established for other associates?
Generously sponsored by Morgan Stanley
It is never too early to think about succession planning in a family owned business! This dynamic monthly peer group is facilitated by Bea Wolper of Emens & Wolper Law Firm, and Meredith Sugar of Taft Law. They provide a forum to discuss all aspects of succession planning - from inter-family dynamics to strategic planning - in interactive sessions that will provide the foundation for transitioning your family business to the next generation. This program is not just for founders/owners – attending together with successors or next gens is very important and beneficial.