ONE HEALTH, ONE WELFARE: FOOD SYSTEMS OPPORTUNITIES FOR BETTER HUMAN, ANIMAL AND ECOLOGICAL HEALTH AND WELL-BEING
An Independent Dialogue as a contribution to the UN Food Systems Summit.
Convened by: Compassion in World Farming International with speakers from organisations including World Organisation for Animal Health (OiE), Planetary Health Alliance and One Welfare.
Alongside a human and ecological health crisis we confront an animal health crisis: approximately 70 billion animals are farmed for food worldwide every year (60% of all mammals on Earth), the majority reared in industrial livestock production systems.
This independent dialogue aims to:
• Ensure better animal health and wellbeing outcomes are at the heart of the Food Systems Summit highlighting how animal health and welfare are intrinsically interlinked with human and ecological health and wellbeing.
• Explore potential opportunities presented by a ‘One Health’ and ‘One Welfare’ approach and what this would look like in practice.
• Create support for an integrated, holistic approach to policy reform and coordinated action across food sectors to benefit human, animal and ecological health and wellbeing.
During the dialogue we will hear several experts and practitioners working at global and local levels before going into breakout sessions exploring 'one health' opportunities for food systems policy and practice. The outcomes of this dialogue will be documented and submitted as a contribution towards the Food Systems Summit.
Convenor: Philip Lymbery, Global CEO of Compassion in World Farming and UN Food Systems Champion
Curator: Mark Driscoll of Tasting the Future
• Doreen L. Robinson, Head of Biodiversity & Land, Ecosystems Division, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
• Dr Matthew Stone, Deputy Director General, World Animal Health Organization (OIE)
• Dr Sam Myers, Director, Planetary Health Alliance
• Dr Rebeca Garcia Pinillos, Director and Founder, One Welfare CIC