Media That Matters is a ministry of The Congregational Church, UCC in Tryon, NC, open to all. We discuss and view films, tv shows, or listen to podcasts that speak to issues of faith, community, and the world.
We will be discussing "1619", an audio series from the New York Times on how slavery has transformed America, connecting past and present through the oldest form of storytelling. You can listen on the New York Times website or your favorite podcast platform.
Our discussion schedule is:
- August 18: 1. The Fight For True Democracy
- August 25: 2. The Economy That Slavery Built
- September 1: 3. The Birth of American Music
- September 8: 4. How the Bad Blood Started
- September 15: 5. The Land of Our Fathers, Part 1 & The Land of Our Fathers, Part 2
Please note that The Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, in Tryon, is an Open & Affirming congregation that welcomes persons of all ages, races, social and economic circumstances, sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions, abilities and church backgrounds to participate in the life and ministry of our church. We strive to create a safe and inclusive space at all our events for those who choose to attend, and ask that all participants honor this spirit of welcome and hospitality.