Sean McMannon, Winooski School District
David Epstein, TruexCullins
The Winooski School is a Pre-K thru 12 facility serving one of the most diverse communities in Vermont. To create an engaging, inclusive, and equitable learning environment, the project team designed an inclusive process that invited input from a wide variety of stakeholders. It started with establishing guiding principles that embodied community DEI values. During the process, the project team was sensitized to many DEI concerns and learned many lessons. This workshop provides methods of integrating a DEI lens into the design process, examines important factors to consider, and explores design solutions which address those concerns.
1. Learn about the value of an inclusive process in creating a welcoming facility for all stakeholders.
2. Learn how meeting facilitation techniques can help with participation from historically marginalized groups.
3. Learn how safety and security initiatives impact different groups.
4. Learn how community and a sense of belonging can be fostered through architectural design.
5. Learn from your peers about challenges and successes they have experienced in making their facilities