1h 30 min: Large Crowd and 1 on 1 Nonviolence & De-escalation Training (short ver.)
Nonviolence is one of the core principles which is non-negotiable for everyone who wants to take action under the name of XR. De-escalation is a key skill for anyone involved in any action. It helps maintain nonviolent interactions and atmosphere.
XR's nonviolence has both a strategic and ethical dimension: Strategically, nonviolence is an effective tool in mass mobilisations, as evidenced by social science research. Upholding nonviolent tension means actively creating a respectful culture and basis for trust whilst also exposing and confronting injustice. Ethically, XR takes the view that by undertaking the conscious, often challenging work of removing violence from the way we act and interact, we can connect more deeply and positively with each other and the world around us. Through this deliberate practice we can model, or 'prefigure', the future we hope to create.
This training will provide:
• a deeper understanding of nonviolence
• practical de-escalation skills for maintaining nonviolence with small groups and individuals
• practical de-escalation skills for large crowds.
• a brief introduction to Non Violent Communication
• one-on-one de-escalation with a range of different scenarios