The live remote Synchrony Dysphagia Solutions by ACP demonstration will provide attendees with an overview of how sEMG (surface electromyography) visual biofeedback enhances assessment and treatment for patients with dysphagia. It will include the following:
• Discussion of sEMG and its role in evidence based practice for dysphagia rehabilitation
• Education on clinical resources and support available
• Operation and navigation of software
• Demonstration for set up of patient use
• Demonstration of assessment and intervention options
• Showcase variety of graphic and virtual reality visualizations
• Description of parameter setting and objective data available
Valerie Middleton, MA CCC/SLP is a Clinical Program Consultant for Accelerated Care Plus (ACP). She graduated from Appalachian State University with a Bachelor of Science degree, Summa Cum Laude in 2006 and with a Master of Arts degree in 2008 in Communication Disorders with a concentration in Speech Language Pathology.
Since 2008, Valerie has practiced speech-language pathology in skilled nursing facilities (SNF) and has worked as the director of SNF rehabilitation services for OT, PT, and SLP from 2012-2016. Valerie holds certifications and competences in the McNeill Dysphagia Therapy Program, NMES, sEMG biofeedback for dysphagia, and myofascial release and manual stretching techniques in dysphagia rehabilitation. ASHA recognized her passion for continued learning with an ACE (Award for Continuing Education) in 2015 and 2018. She is a member of the ASHA Special Interest Group 13, Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders and Special Interest Group 15, Gerontology.