The elevenses are a series of 60 minute webinars around the themes of Youth Work Week 2020.
Running each day through Youth Work Week from 11am to 12noon (except Thursday 9am to 10am)
COVID restrictions across the UK have negatively affected young people in many ways including their mental health, their employment opportunities, and their support networks. The NYA Time Out report highlighted some of the effects of young people not being in school during March and we know that the situation has got worse since then.
Schools can be important safe places for young people. A space where they can belong to gain knowledge and skills for their future and a place to build social connections and relationships.
The closure of schools had a fundamental effect on young people’s lives. Now that schools are open again, but schedules are challenging, we want to explore with other youth workers how youth work could support and work with schools.
Have a look at our reflection questions below that we could cover in the webinar:
1) How do we strengthen the professional relationship between teachers and youth workers to give a more collaborative approach to meeting young people's needs?
2) What as a sector can we do to support collaboration between schools and local youth work organisations and services?
3) How can we create open listening spaces in schools for youth workers to listen to young people’s needs?
4) Do we feel that schools are doing enough in response to young people and their mental health? How could youth work support this?
5) This is a casual discussion between youth workers and those interested in education so feel free to join us and ask questions, tell us your reflections or just listen to others.