Often, individuals and systems feel overwhelmed at the magnitude of the problem of racism, with a sense of not knowing what to do. As behavioral health clinicians, administrators and executives, we have a unique skillset that has prepared us to impact health disparities experienced by Black communities by driving ourselves, programs, organizations and systems towards equity in behavioral health services. This webinar will conceptualize racism as an addiction and trauma, and posit discreet interventions used in addiction treatment and trauma-informed systems that can be applied to health equity work in the behavioral health space.
1. Describe the parallels between racism and addiction
2. Understand racism as a trauma
3. Understand the impact of racism on health
4. Apply evidence-based strategies from addiction treatment and
trauma-informed care to mitigate the effects of racism on health and
5. Initiate conversations about racism and health