Owned by obstetrician Dr Eily Elaine Gurr (1896–1996), 84 Symonds Street was designed as her home and consulting rooms. Next door was another doctor, Dr Alexander Henderson Kirker (1899-1970), who had his own home built by the same architect in a sympathetic style.
Known today as Rationalist House, 64 Symonds Street was built for Dr James Hardie Neil (1875-1955), a leading ear, nose and throat surgeon who designed medical instruments and had a distinguished army career across three wars.
At 25-29 Symonds Street are terraced houses built for John and Ellen Endean. In 1894 Ellen was the first woman to stand for Auckland City Council. This place was popular for specialists’ consulting rooms throughout the twentieth century and was also the home of the magnificently named Dr George Thomas Humphrey De Clive-Lowe, an ophthalmic surgeon and founding member of the Auckland Automobile Association.