NOTE: This is a two part event held on two consecutive days, by registering here you are registering for both events but you can attend one or both days.
All undocumented students and newly arrived students CAN go to college! Unfortunately, many of our students and families are not aware of their college options. Do you want to help spread information and create a college going culture at your campus for your undocumented and newly arrived students? Are you interested in learning concrete best practices on how to facilitate a college going conversation for undocumented and newly arrived students?
Join 10,000 Degrees for this two part event - “Best Practices for Supporting Students who are Undocumented or Newly Arrived” - to:
Wednesday, November 16 | 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM | Focus on students who are undocumented
- Debunk common myths about the undocumented community
- Discuss laws and policies directly impacting undocumented students & families in California
- Explore college financial aid opportunities for undocumented students in California
- Learn how to deliver strength based college going conversations with undocumented students through live scenarios
- Learn and share resources to best support your undocumented students & families
Thursday, November 17 | 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM | Focus on students who are newly arrived
- Review laws and policies that impact newly arrived students
- Options for AB540 eligibility
- Learn and discuss what it means to be a "newly arrived" student
- Learn some strategies to foster engagement with students and families
- Increase awareness regarding student experiences and differing educational backgrounds