Zoom Logo

Group Orientation for Schools having Virtual Visits - Shared screen with speaker view
Mohammad Khalid
01:43:11
hello?
John Shaheen
02:02:47
Welcome everyone!
Ana van Gilst
02:02:56
Good morning
Emily Devenny
02:02:57
Good Morning, John!
rachelmartinez(she/her)
02:02:58
Hi John!
Kali Veach
02:03:01
Hello!
Glenna
02:03:05
Good morning John
Diane Fischler
02:03:05
Hello!
Ryan Conklin
02:03:12
G’morning!
Mohammad Khair Nawafleh NITI
02:03:14
Good morning
Donna
02:03:27
Will you say something; I cannot hear anythink.
dmartin
02:03:43
Good Morning
Alathea Barks
02:03:58
Hello
Amy Nagy
02:03:59
Hello!
April Lupinacci
02:04:00
Good Morning Everyone!
Stefanie Paganini
02:04:05
hello from Cleveland
Marco
02:04:07
Good morning everyone from Fort Lauderdale
Frank Thomason
02:04:09
Welcome!
Casey Murphy NHI SC
02:04:15
Good morning everyone!
Dahiamyz
02:04:17
Good morning!
Courtney Smith
02:04:22
Good morning everyone!
nfibusinessoffice
02:04:29
Good Morning
John Nolan
02:04:36
Good morning, everyone!
Allison Johnson
02:04:41
Good morning!
Mary Clare DiGiacomo
02:04:52
Good morning all! Just about to get started.
Kerri
02:04:59
Good Morning!
nfibusinessoffice
02:05:11
Good Morning John !!!!
Hollye
02:05:19
Good morning!
waynemizuno
02:09:17
Good morning
Courtney Smith
02:09:41
If you have questions or need help with your ASER please contact me! CSmith@accet.org or 202-695-2605
Courtney Smith
02:10:04
We will have an ASER/BASER FAQ on the website soon also.
Christina Stefanik
02:10:15
Thanks, Courtney!
John Shaheen
02:11:19
https://accet.org/events/accet-conference
Genois Thomas
02:11:39
bad sound
John Shaheen
02:11:45
yes!
Ana van Gilst
02:11:46
very bad
Valeria Pinna
02:11:52
no good sound
Yataka
02:12:09
lol
Ryan Conklin
02:12:09
same
Ryan Conklin
02:12:34
it’s better now
Kaitlyn Gough
02:12:35
The sound is better now!
Ashraf Aljughaiman
02:12:40
Now is good
Ana van Gilst
02:12:41
good
John Shaheen
02:12:58
Thanks everyone!
Joan Hannant
02:13:29
Can we get these slides?
Hussain Malik
02:13:53
Will te slides be available after the Webinar?
John Shaheen
02:14:12
All we *are* recording this session and will post on the website when ready later today.
John Shaheen
02:14:28
Yes, we will share the slides as well (we will post in the website).
Hussain Malik
02:14:30
Thanks
John Shaheen
02:18:16
Mostly the standard Document 8.1 - simplified a bit and re-organized. Not really anything new!
John Shaheen
02:18:48
We've worked to make it more precise and reduced the document load where possible.
John Shaheen
02:20:22
The advanced prep is so important for these visits. That's not new either, but the preparation checklist in particular has to be completed well in advance (2 weeks for the bulk of the items, 5 - 7 days for a smaller selection)
John Shaheen
02:20:44
We'll talk about where this is being uploaded shortly...
Courtney Smith
02:20:52
Second that! Good prep makes for a smoother visit!
AlenBabayan
02:21:50
When we give the ACET team the list of students, what was the turn around time to know which files we need to upload?
Ragheb Milad
02:22:05
For Final Program Approval. The Documents requested is it for the whole institution or is it Program specific?
Mary Clare DiGiacomo
02:22:46
Ragheb, for Program Approval, the list will be modified.
Ragheb Milad
02:22:58
Thank You
Mary Clare DiGiacomo
02:23:00
We will get that information to you.
John Shaheen
02:23:09
Good question Alen. Expect to receive the file selection relatively soon after the Prep checklist deadline. The CR will set up a meeting with your team to go over this specifically with you.
Nova Training Center Therapeutic Massage School
02:23:15
what if the school has less than ten active students
John Shaheen
02:23:33
Also, the agenda today has a timeline for you so you can tape it to your refrigerator!
Scott Faulstick
02:24:14
Nova Training - That means we can review all active student files.
Nova Training Center Therapeutic Massage School
02:25:23
can you record class before the site visit
John Shaheen
02:25:31
Small cohorts are not a problem (Nova question). No worries.
John Shaheen
02:26:23
We're not suggesting that you record classes in advance, but you can mention this to your assigned CR to share ideas if you think it will be helpful.
John Shaheen
02:26:42
For example, a class that is not being offered on the days of the visit.
John Shaheen
02:28:40
Here's the link to the regular, old, tried and true, Document 8.1: https://s3.amazonaws.com/docs.accet.org/downloads/docs/Dec+2019+Updated+Final+Docs/Doc+8.1+Final+12-19.pdf
John Shaheen
02:29:10
The customized 8.1 for fall visits will be available on/about August 6. It needs final Commission approval before we can publish.
John Shaheen
02:29:35
Enjoy today's introduction to this Virtual Visit 8.1!
John Shaheen
02:29:43
Call it a sneak preview...
Joan Hannant
02:30:19
What about students on a LOA?
John Shaheen
02:30:32
No surprises! Let your students and faculty know that the survey (and visit) is coming.
John Shaheen
02:30:47
Joan, do you mean for surveys?
Joan Hannant
02:30:54
yes
John Shaheen
02:31:14
They will be on the usual student lists for the Prep checklist, but no specific worries for the survey.
Joan Hannant
02:31:27
thank you John
John Shaheen
02:31:51
To be reviewed by the Commission during the upcoming meeting. Full release expected by August 6.
Christina Stefanik
02:31:55
Will the student survey be written in ESL-friendly language and/or made available in a variety of languages?
Joan Hannant
02:32:07
Are you contemplating how Covid-19 emergencies will be handled?
blairbourassa
02:32:09
Lesson plans need to be delivered 2 weeks before, or only a few days before? Since sometimes in ESL what is covered in a session depends on how quickly or slowly the instructor was able to go through previous material, which varies class group to group, more than a week in advance might mean observers do not see exactly what the teacher needs to teach at the time of the visit…
Christina Stefanik
02:32:22
Thank you!
Joan Hannant
02:33:07
Shut downs? Employee illness?
john abdallah
02:33:32
Can we get a sample of the survey questions that will be sent to the students?
John Shaheen
02:34:08
Tough questions there Joan, for a strange time. We'll all be doing our best.
Thamys Gaertner [Lumos]
02:34:17
Would the team prefer a sampling of lesson plans or all lesson plans?
Kate
02:34:44
How far in advance can we get access to the dropbox for our individual submissions?
blairbourassa
02:35:02
But 2 weeks in advance?
John Shaheen
02:35:07
Kate, Res will answer your question shortly.
blairbourassa
02:35:46
Ok, we can add adjusted LPs if needed =-)
Joan Hannant
02:36:01
If classes are suspended during the virtual visit what is the plan?
John Shaheen
02:36:06
For sure on the LPs!
Joan Hannant
02:37:04
Yes - I am referring to a total shut down. Thank you.
Joan Hannant
02:37:33
Will do - thank you.
Valeria Pinna
02:37:55
can uou please speak with louder voice? thank you very nuch
blairbourassa
02:38:07
Sounds good
Scott Faulstick
02:38:08
I hear you
Valeria Pinna
02:38:18
thanks!
mgaskins
02:41:40
So there should be one computer set up for the group zoom meeting, intro and exit and then each team member "zooms" at their prescheduled time?
kimberley wong
02:41:41
Are we sharing our dropbox with you or are you sharing your dropbox with us?
kimberley wong
02:41:55
Thanks!
mgaskins
02:43:05
thanks
Hairo Rodriguez
02:43:24
same doubt about dropbox account
Hairo Rodriguez
02:44:07
ty
John Shaheen
02:48:24
The dropbox will have the 8.1 template integrated.
John Shaheen
02:48:28
Easy peasy!
Mary Clare DiGiacomo
02:49:06
And it includes instructions for naming convention, etc
John Shaheen
02:49:38
Think of it like the milk crates usually used for the preparation checklist. Same deal.
Pamela Trandahl
02:49:46
Wow - this is really impressive - thank you for taking it to this level!
Ryan Conklin
02:50:02
Yeah, this looks organized and easy to use. TY
John Shaheen
02:50:08
We're getting dizzy Pamela...
Pamela Trandahl
02:50:21
I can imagine! We all appreciate it!
Mary Clare DiGiacomo
02:50:45
It's an electronic milk crate!
John Shaheen
02:50:59
You are not restricted to the folders in the template. You can add subfolders as needed.
Christine Wong
02:52:09
For schools with multiple campuses, is it 10 students per campus or 10 students total?
M O
02:52:15
whats the size limit for files
David Maxon
02:52:20
Drobox set up seems really helpful
John Shaheen
02:52:39
Christine, it will be 10 students per campus for multi-location schools. Thanks for asking!
Kate
02:52:41
Are the dropbox folders up for approval in the same meeting as the 8.1?
Christine Wong
02:52:55
Thanks!
John Shaheen
02:53:10
No particular size limit - but we don't need EVERYTHING in the student file. We have a template for that too.
John Shaheen
02:53:21
Kate, sort of....
Thamys Gaertner [Lumos]
02:54:25
Will it be a separate dropbox for multiple campuses?
Kate
02:55:01
Got it, we are mid-September, but that's okay we can get our PDF's ready to go!
Carlos Montes de Oca
02:57:01
Do you need any recording of the classes at all? If so, how far behind?
User
02:58:04
Hello all ACCET team. It has been very informative so far
Jim Cussen
02:59:04
Is it recommended that all files be password protected
Valeria Pinna
03:00:02
sorry I cannot hear very well. Accet will send us Dropbox thst then we share?
Mary Clare DiGiacomo
03:00:36
Yes, that's correct.
Mary Clare DiGiacomo
03:01:32
ACCET will send an invitation to the Dropbox. You will be hearing from your Commission Rep.
John Shaheen
03:03:16
Orange juice cans and a long string
Valeria Pinna
03:03:18
thanks
mgaskins
03:05:28
Will the FaceTime classroom observations be for a specified amount of time?
Thamys Gaertner [Lumos]
03:05:46
Just to be clear - student files selected for review are selected 14 or 7 days before?
nfibusinessoffice
03:05:58
Thank you Scott
John Shaheen
03:13:16
Maybe not quite as much fun Musa!
Thamys Gaertner [Lumos]
03:13:29
Do we get to see the survey ahead of time and will it be drafted only in English?
Linda Rikli
03:13:36
Does "everyone" must be available include ALL of the instructors? Many have a variable schedule based upon class coverage, and keeping their hours to 40.
John Shaheen
03:14:41
Linda, a great discussion for you and the CR. Same as a regular visit, the team will expect everyone to be available. That said, some of these interviews can be scheduled in advance.
Linda Rikli
03:15:13
Thanks.
John Shaheen
03:15:26
The survey is planned to be in English. It will be about 10 questions. Nothing over the top.
John Shaheen
03:16:21
Let me check on if the survey will be available to the schools in advance. Good question.
Ryan Conklin
03:17:04
audio issue is back
Scott Faulstick
03:17:07
Your sound is messing up again.
Marco
03:17:55
audio issue
Joan Hannant
03:18:32
Cant hear her
John Shaheen
03:18:35
Yikes, sounds good for a second then breaks up again.
nfibusinessoffice
03:18:40
Crackling sound
John Shaheen
03:18:53
Yep, Mary Clare is almost finished. Let's power through!
Frank Thomason
03:19:07
Yes, it’s not the worst, we can still make out what she’s saying
John Shaheen
03:19:23
Thanks Frank.
blairbourassa
03:19:55
It’s understandable
blairbourassa
03:19:58
no problem
John Shaheen
03:21:22
C&P - document review only this fall. No calls to employers this round.
kimberley wong
03:22:27
Is this two day visit for each campus, if we have more than one campus? And is it consecutive? For example M/Tues campus 1 and Wed/Thurs Campus 2?
John Shaheen
03:23:32
Hi Kimberly, more likely spread out a bit more than usual. Great logistics to work out with the CR.
Linda Rikli
03:23:49
Will the times be set to our local time zone?
John Shaheen
03:23:52
You are correct, full two day visit to each campus.
Scott Faulstick
03:24:06
Linda - yes.
John Shaheen
03:24:10
Time zone issues for sure will be worked out with the CR.
John Shaheen
03:24:32
West Coast we never begin before 11 am EDT, but can be later as well.
John Shaheen
03:25:01
Is there such a thing as virtual jet lag?
mgaskins
03:25:35
Haha
kimberley wong
03:25:40
And to follow up on that question with our CR, is it one CR or possibly 2 different CR (one for each campus)?
John Shaheen
03:26:08
Could, indeed, have more than one CR if multiple campuses. This varies by school.
Amrin Malik
03:26:29
will the Zoom meetings during the visit be recorded? especially the exit briefing, so that the team will know what to work on.
George Carter
03:26:58
9 am - 5 pm is based on the institution's time zone. Team members could be in different time zones. An East Coast school starting at 9 am requires a West Coast volunteer to be available at 6 am. Is that right?
Scott Faulstick
03:27:03
You aren't permitted to record the exit briefing.
Joan Hannant
03:27:07
John can you please speak up
Scott Faulstick
03:27:31
George - yes.
Joan Hannant
03:29:45
Will decisions be made before on site visits?
kimberley wong
03:30:03
Is there a new fee structure for those institutions that paid the accet visit fee pre-covid vs the virtual visit fee?
Mary Clare DiGiacomo
03:30:09
Judy will address that now.
John Shaheen
03:31:23
Kimberly, the virtual visits were discounted, but also *include* the cost of the one-person, one-day verification visit. If a school paid on the original invoice, a refund will be issued in the normal course for the difference.
John Shaheen
03:32:27
Note that the Commission could/might/will when necessary, require a larger team follow-up verification visit. Like most things we 've talked about today, this is always a Commission option.
Shaun Setzler
03:32:44
Will schools be in deferral status until the verification visits?
John Shaheen
03:33:15
Good question Shaun. Let's see if Judy addresses this.
jackobrien
03:33:16
Are commission determinations in December contingent then on the subsequent verification visit?
Hussain Malik
03:33:16
Will the final approval of reaccreditation be held up till after the site visit?
John Shaheen
03:34:30
"Clean" visit (doesn't mean perfect) the Commission can award a grant as always.
Joan Hannant
03:35:00
would deferral be counted as an action?
Joan Hannant
03:35:48
Thank you - makes sense
John Shaheen
03:36:17
Good question Joan. We don't think the Commission will vary from normal practice
Genois Thomas
03:36:25
what about payments that have already been made for 2-3 team members that was to visit before COVID19?
John Shaheen
03:36:26
Hope springs eternal!
Joan Hannant
03:36:44
Always!
Valeria Pinna
03:36:51
PLEASE speak louder thank you
John Shaheen
03:37:37
The survey will not include any trick questions. It will be sweet and simple.
John Shaheen
03:37:42
:))
Damon Fugett
03:37:55
will we get to see the questions that are going out?
Jim Cussen
03:38:13
if a decision is made by the commission but the on-site visit does not go well - what happens
John Shaheen
03:38:16
Damon, this is pending.
Amrin Malik
03:38:27
Aser Question: Will schools need to submit any Aser amendments?We submitted our Aser in March, before COVID, and now we have made changes due to COVID.
Damon Fugett
03:39:03
NO. Just questions
Hussain Malik
03:39:47
Are the surveys going to be standard for all institutions?
John Shaheen
03:40:04
You will not resubmit your ASER. But upload the changes as part of Doc 8.1
kimberley wong
03:40:10
This is a pretty straight forward question - however, with our president trying to push in person classes during a pandemic, I just want to double check. In person visits are only happening if it’s completely safe correct?
John Shaheen
03:40:21
Hussain, yes, standard questions will be used.
Hussain Malik
03:40:33
Thanks
John Shaheen
03:40:54
Agreed Kimberly. ACCET is not pushing any school to return to in-person visits until it is safe.
John Shaheen
03:41:10
The temporary flexibilities continue until 12/30/20
Scott Faulstick
03:41:12
Kimberly - all visits this cycle will be virtual, even if you have in-person classes.
Musa Rabba
03:41:21
I suggest you pick up items from each school's survey which is normally translated in the students language in addition to English. That will make it easy. They are already submitted in the ASER.
Joan Hannant
03:41:40
Thanks Judy. Good analogy
kimberley wong
03:42:12
Thank you! Are there flexibilities past 12/30/2020 esp if the pandemic continues?
John Shaheen
03:42:15
I meant in-person classes. sorry Kimberly!
User
03:42:15
If there is a subjective part in the survey, students use of language may impair the message they intend to deliver being non native speakers.
John Shaheen
03:42:26
All ACCET visits this cycle are virtual.
Joan Hannant
03:42:33
Not sure what “reasonably practical” means any more
Joan Hannant
03:43:41
Many students, as a general matter, are concerned about the efficacy of remote learning - especially when they didn’t sign up for these.
Damon Fugett
03:43:53
The issue with the survey was that last time:
Damon Fugett
03:44:16
we didn't know it went out and students thought it was a phishing scam, it created a nightmare on phones/email
Thamys Gaertner [Lumos]
03:44:36
Sorry another survey question - how long do the students have to complete them and will they be considered during the virtual visit?
Damon Fugett
03:44:50
k
Joan Hannant
03:44:52
Thank you John.
john abdallah
03:46:07
Can we get access to the questions on the survey ?
Stefanie Paganini
03:46:19
Thank you everyone. Stay Safe.
Cinnamon Jones
03:47:14
For ESL students can we have translators go over the survey questions with them?
Pamela Trandahl
03:47:17
Thank you - this really answered important questions - very detailed!
Hollye
03:47:41
You stated that during the placement portion of the visit, no phone calls to employers will be made. Will student phone calls be made?
Ana van Gilst
03:47:43
Thank you everyone. Stay safe.
John Shaheen
03:48:18
The team will not be doing any placement verification calls to grads or employers.
John Shaheen
03:48:27
Any other questions?
Misty Pitman
03:48:29
You all have done a great job through all this! You are much appreciated.
Hollye
03:48:30
thank you!!
Ragheb Milad
03:48:31
Thank You ACCET Team, this is very organized and well thought out!!
John Shaheen
03:48:39
We'll stick around for a few minutes for stragglers.
Regina Lima
03:48:45
Very clear and helpful orientation, thank you!
John Shaheen
03:49:01
Thanks all for joining us! We had 225 online today!
Jeane Anderson
03:49:03
Thank you, everyone ...
Joan Hannant
03:49:21
Thank you for answering all our questions. Appreciate the support.
jose
03:49:27
Thank you for the orientation, stay safe all
Amrin Malik
03:49:33
Thanks to the entire ACCET team for this very helpful orientation. We can tell that a lot of time and energy went into making this. We greatly appreciate it!
Melanie Galati
03:49:44
This was very helpful. Thank you!
Ana van Gilst
03:49:45
Thank you
Jim Cussen
03:49:47
Thank You
Emily Devenny
03:49:49
Thank you!! So helpful.
Joan Hannant
03:49:50
Stay safe all!
Ana Ehler
03:49:55
thanks!
nfibusinessoffice
03:49:57
Thank you ACCET Team !!!!
Shaun Setzler
03:49:57
Thank you!
John Shaheen
03:49:57
We have such great schools. Thanks all for what you do every day.
Sandy Vann
03:49:59
Thank you!
Roberto Quintans
03:50:06
Thank you!
Res Helfer
03:50:13
Thank you all. Best wishes for successful visits!!
Mary Clare DiGiacomo
03:50:19
Thanks you all for joining us!
jackobrien
03:50:26
This was very helpful and encouraging. Thanks ACCET team for your time in preparing and presenting it.
Donna
03:50:51
We really appreciate all of our institutions and you commitment to your students.
TLC Teacher
03:51:08
ICE Guidance is just hot off the press!
Cinnamon Jones
03:52:57
Can translators go over the survey with ESL students
Linda Rikli
03:53:14
So very helpful. Thanks.
Cinnamon Jones
03:53:29
Thank you
Joan Hannant
03:53:33
I would love to know more about how our institutions are handling clinicals. Can we set something up?
Marcio Beltrame
03:54:14
Florida had an IDL deadline of July. 29th and we couldn’t confirm with department of education if that has been postponed, do you know something about that?
Joan Hannant
03:54:36
This is a huge issue for many of us. Would love to hear more ideas - what works and what isn’t, etc
Miia Rasinen
03:54:58
We have a virtual labs & capstone session
Marcio Beltrame
03:55:09
Nobody at FL department of education could confirm that to us, neither if there was a deadline nor if it was postponed
Joan Hannant
03:55:13
Illinois won’t permit virtual labs
Miia Rasinen
03:55:16
August 14th: 12:15-1:15 pm ET
Joan Hannant
03:55:47
Thank you Miia
Marcio Beltrame
03:55:49
I’ll, thank you very much
User
03:55:55
Are you going to waive the exra curricula acvtivities as this can't be possibly done for covid 19. Under student services of the ASER
Marcio Beltrame
03:56:00
What is your email, pls??
John Shaheen
03:56:14
jshaheen@accet.org
Marcio Beltrame
03:56:25
Thank you very much
blairbourassa
03:56:43
Suggestions for surveys for ESL schools might be: (1) simple English language, (2) pre-prepared translations for common ESL demographics: Chinese, Japanese, Spanish, Portuguese, (3) a pre-prepared translation for any specially notable demographics for a specific institution - based on received student lists, and (4) an optional response of “I do not understand” on questions.
Christine Wong
03:56:59
For anyone who is interested: https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/ice-continues-march-guidance-fall-school-term
Dr. Mike NITI-TUV
03:57:27
And Arabic, please
Ashraf Aljughaiman
03:57:45
Thank you ACCET team. It was very helpful and informative session
Alathea Barks
03:57:52
thanks
Emily Devenny
03:57:57
Thanks!
Marcio Beltrame
03:57:59
Thank you all
Daniel Fitzgerald
03:58:01
thank you!
Joan Hannant
03:58:02
Stay safe
Courtney Smith
03:58:04
Thanks everyone!
blairbourassa
03:58:07
Thanks a lot
Lupita Laney
03:58:07
Thanks!
Gonzalo
03:58:13
Thanks
Yataka
03:58:14
Thank you