Zoom Logo

Valley Alliance of Neighborhood Councils (VANC) Meeting - Speaker view
Chris Rowe
01:28:10
Can we please get the contact information for the Chief and the Deputy. I had wanted to thank them and send them other messages please.
scott munson
01:33:39
can we request Moore or Hamilton come back soon if the need help with the budget, cuts, etc ( VANC could pass a motion if needed)
Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton
01:34:24
The 9:30 Commission Meeting can be accessed at lapdonline.org under the Commission tab. Please call in PRIOR TO the public comment period otherwise you will not be able to speak during public comment period.
Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton
01:34:45
I can be contacted at 27393@lapd.online via email and the phone number here at Operations Valley Bureau is 818-644-8080. I welcome everyone's involvement in making our neighborhoods safer and more welcoming.
Jamie York she/her
01:35:12
I’m looking forward to the townhall
Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton
01:36:31
I am always available to the group for every meeting and would love to come back on to address any concerns the Alliance may have regarding the Department or the budget process. I am always available for the Alliance.
Corinne Ho
01:37:18
Thank you DC Hamilton.
Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton
01:39:01
Any time Corinne. Great to see you. We need to catch up!
T Taylor
01:39:17
@Tony Wilkinson, could you please repeat which groups host the effective Neighborhood Watch meetings you mentioned (Mission, Foothills?) - thank you.
Tony Wilkinson
01:39:18
LAUSD has a great understanding of local students with unhoused families. Sepulveda MS in my NE Valley has an EXTENSIVE program to feed and support those unhoused kids.
Corinne Ho
01:39:56
Absolutely! Stay safe out there!
Deputy Chief Alan Hamilton
01:40:04
Thank you everyone! Have a great evening and thank you again for inviting the Chief and I tonight.
Tony Wilkinson
01:41:00
I'm Bd Pres Kelly Gonez. Still, I'd love to get those stats. Tony Wilkinson, Panorama City NC, tonyw.civic@gmail.com, 818-212-5384 (mobile)\
Pat Bates Encino NC
01:52:10
just curious (we pick our battles) how do the policies for NC members compare with applicable policies for city council members? After all most of us are elected.
Chris Rowe
01:54:31
This is Chris Rowe - could I please get the Homeless / Food Insecure stats sent to me from the LAUSD - Chris Rowe - CRWHNC@gmail.com
marianne king
01:58:17
good point Joy, thanks!
Tony Wilkinson
01:59:49
YES!!! Thank you Commissioner. (1) NC participants need to be VERY CLEAR when they are speaking as INDIVIDUALS, and (2) not do (1) if they have a pending agenda item on that issue.
Jamie York she/her
02:03:53
3 minutes city council. 1 for general public comment. 2 for agenda items
Tony Wilkinson
02:04:02
The place for public discussion needs to be COMMITTEES. It is unreasonable to START a controversial item at the Board agenda level.
Tony Wilkinson
02:04:52
SPRA: The entire Board is responsible for failing to respond. That means YOU (and me).
Tony Wilkinson
02:05:08
Re CPRA
Tony Wilkinson
02:10:50
Bless GM Beltran for the statement about pre-approval by the Board of all NC public communications! Let's not forget that the City Clerk actually wrote that requirement into their Treasurer's Handbook. (For all I know, it is still there.) Exampple of our problem with THREE rule-makers (DONE, BONC, Clerk).
Glenn Bailey
02:11:37
The NC Budget Advocates Town Hall with the seven City Controller Candidates will be held Sunday, April 10th at 3:00 p.m. virtually via Zoom. Registration will be opening soon. Details will be posted on the NCBA website: www.BudgetAdvocates.org, under the Town Halls tab
Chris Rowe
02:12:38
Tony W. , not everyone can attend every committee of every NC. There are committee meetings of NCs tonight. We all have to make choices of where we feel it is most important to be.. For example, I choose to attend VANC meetings while they are virtual. Respectfully, Chris
Tony Wilkinson
02:14:54
Honestly, Chris, we only have ONE business meeting each month. It is not realistic for us to allow it to become an unlimited public comment forum and last until 11 pm at night. If you care about issues and want to affect what happens to them, a committee is the right place to talk about it.
Tony Wilkinson
02:18:57
Once a stakeholder is a member of an NC committee, every member of the Board becomes responsible for their behavior in public.
Tony Wilkinson
02:19:29
No different from each of us being responsible for the actions of other BOARD MEMBERS.
Tony Wilkinson
02:20:15
We are responsible for managing our ouw city agency so that it is lawfully operated. It is not DONE's duty to be the policeman.
Chris Rowe
02:22:23
Tony W. - There were four meetings last night. I had to choose which ones were more important to attend. I chose the LAHSA Blue Ribbon Commission on Homelessness. After that meeting, I went to the WHWCNC which was still going. I missed the other two meetings including one Committee meeting that I used to Chair when I was on the WHNC in 2012.
Tony Wilkinson
02:22:23
Agree with Gary! If, as Len and GM Beltran say, these "policy" rules are just the law, then we ONLY NEED THE LAW. This is reinforcing my call to make these "policies" into strongly recommended "guidelines".
Tony Wilkinson
02:24:14
Essentially this is an admission that both DONE and BONC are essentially REWRITING AND ADDING COMMENTS to the existing state laws. That does not help. It adds confusion.
STEVE RANDALL
02:27:33
In the current version of the Ethics Training, under "Social Media" is stated "The Brown Act prohibits members from responding in any way to another member's social media posts" "Posting, commenting, sharing, liking or using an emoji on another member's post are prohibited" Can anyone clarify this?
Tony Wilkinson
02:28:35
Committees are real public meetings on behalf of the Board. That's why public comment in a committee is useful. It is also typically more "conversational" (at least in Panorama City). Committees are the kind of input that many stakeholders seem to value.
Jamie York she/her
02:31:20
Have lung issue also do no want to die
Chris Rowe
02:31:46
Tony W - you can't be six months from 80? Maybe six months from 60?
Pat Bates Encino NC
02:32:53
Need to go to state to get modification for advisory boards!!
Chris Rowe
02:33:41
I also don't want the VANC meetings to be in a hospital in the future please - I like these ZOOM meetings for VANC.
raquel beltran
02:34:12
Here is the clarification about to whom the the Digital Comm.Policy applies: “3.2. This policy applies to all individuals appointed, elected, or assigned by a neighborhoodcouncil as responsible for the neighborhood council’s Digital Communications accounts,platform, and tools.”
Tony Wilkinson
02:36:24
The so called "hybrid" meeting under the original Brown Act I problematic because each remote location must be publicly accessible. (That means it cannot be your home.)
Chris Rowe
02:36:58
I think that this should fall under ADA - can our attorneys like Len discuss that? Is the fact that many seniors are at risk an ADA issue for public meetings?
Tony Wilkinson
02:38:26
This should not a fraught POLITICAL discussion about in-person or not. I support a return to normal interactions. The problem is the SPEED of return, and we are NOT READY.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:39:11
Other Government entities hold meetings with a camera AND live at the same time. NCs were showing their meetings on Facebook or YouTube pre-Pandemic. In today’s technology I think there are solutions.
Tony Wilkinson
02:41:08
Truthfully, I see not reason for the city needing to inspect our facilities. For nearly @) YEARS we have done our own ADA inspections, including for the many places we may hold committee meetings. This "city must approve" is from the CITY CLERK's obsession with pre-approving everything, I think it is full employment for civic service wworkers.
Tony Wilkinson
02:41:34
nearly 20 years
Nina Royal
02:42:40
I seem to remember that the city is supposed to let NC’s to have first use of city facilities that are available, ahead of other organizations and they are help facilitate
Cindy Cleghorn
02:42:44
In our community — our Councilwoman spent $4million on improvements to our North Valley City Hall but she (her staff) are not favorable to our NC at this time. When a new board is next elected “maybe” this will change. Moving on to the LAUSD — DONE did in the past set up the Beyond the Bell applications so NCs could meet at the schools. This is something DONE staff could do throughout all the schools. DONE has more time and resources to do this.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:43:31
For those who don’t want to wear masks or be vaccinated then those board members join via Zoom.
Pat Bates Encino NC
02:44:17
When was Zoom phaseout communicated?
Glenn Bailey
02:44:37
How much will each Zoom license cost per NC?
Tony Wilkinson
02:44:38
We can also act AS INDIVIDUALS to co0ntacft state legislators directly. The "file a CIS" is less practical in urgent situations. NCs need to start acting as individuals in almost every case where a government entity other that the city is involved.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:44:57
So, is DONE asking for budget money to cover the Zoom licenses ? It would be great to do this.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:45:28
A Council person’s Office Holder account could likely cover this too ?
Jamie York she/her
02:46:28
This month was one of the deadliest months since COVID began
Pat Bates Encino NC
02:46:35
IMHO times to bring the Brown act into the 21st Century
Glenn Bailey
02:47:27
The Zoom announcement was in the March Monthly Profile, Page 4 entitled ZOOM Account. Cost stated as approximately $200
Tony Wilkinson
02:47:38
A young woman in my family, 26 years old, has gotten the bug 2X. This is not a big issue for people under 65,
Cindy Cleghorn
02:48:00
Thank you Glenn….so NC budgets need to be increased to $32,200.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:48:06
Easy fix.
Pat Bates Encino NC
02:48:39
Regarding N 95 s they are becoming available in surplus contact me, I will forward
raquel beltran
02:51:21
Thank you Glenn
Tony Wilkinson
02:51:29
City account purchase would be VERY helpful. I bought a 1 year low level license (about $20/mo), but it does NOT include cloud storage or real time transcripts.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:52:52
Tony — I think having the DONE Zoom account is good. We have one other account as well for committees but the DONE account is good for future board members.
Glenn Bailey
02:53:11
I thought the annual cost of our Zoom account would be about $600 so I think $200 is a bargain!
Cindy Cleghorn
02:54:13
😀
Tony Wilkinson
02:55:31
GoToMeeting is $19/mo with unlimited cloud storage and live transcripts. However it is more funky with fewer reaction tools (and Glenn HATES it).
Chris Rowe
02:56:53
I receive the LA County Department of Health reports daily. This is the header of today's: Media Contact: media@ph.lacounty.gov - (213) 240-8144For Immediate Release:March 10, 2022Public Health Reports 1,372 New Positive Cases and 40 New Deaths Due to COVID-19 in Los Angeles CountyThe Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) today released the latest data on COVID-19.1,372 New COVID-19 cases (2,808,409 cases to date)40 New deaths due to COVID-19 (31,178 deaths to date)632 people currently hospitalized with COVID-19More than 11,500,000 individuals tested; 22% of people tested positive to date
Glenn Bailey
02:58:16
@Tony - A $200 Zoom account works out to $17 per month
Pat Bates Encino NC
02:59:30
My Zoom account with cloud recording is a little under $600/year. It is limited to 100/ meeting. A group discount would be great.
Tony Wilkinson
03:00:33
We should turn the City Clerk into our fiduciary fund holder for grants (with an ordinance) and REMOVE them from daily management of our city funds, which is a big pain. The fiduciary work will give them work that keeps them off our backs (for example, in the EVENTS management agrea).
Tony Wilkinson
03:03:32
Keren, 18 years ago IT WAS DIFFERENT. If you love these rules, you will run off all of the capable people who want to spend there time getting things done. What is left is a system that only attracts the people who want to be big fish in a small pond. There are expected but unintended results of the recent (last five years) HUGE INCREASE in rules and busywork.
Tony Wilkinson
03:03:47
their time
Jamie York she/her
03:04:40
I want to be able to apply for outside grants for community improvements
Jamie York she/her
03:05:02
There are many small grant programs available
Chris Rowe
03:05:32
I think we had roll over funds, and we had a lot more money to roll over back when I joined the NCs back in 2008.
Pat Bates Encino NC
03:05:36
Joy Atkinson thank you!
Tony Wilkinson
03:06:06
YES. City Clerk as fiscal agent.
Tony Wilkinson
03:06:38
I am sure that Marqueece will want to help.
Chris Rowe
03:06:51
Why couldn't the NC work with the Council District to get community improvement grants?
Jamie York she/her
03:07:23
Can we investigate the mechanism that the police commission currently uses?
Tony Wilkinson
03:07:28
Chris, the challenge is how to manage the funds over fiscal years. It needs an ordinance to implement.
Len Shaffer
03:07:36
Link to Ad Hoc committee's draft code of conduct submitted to BONC dated Feb 2, 2022 https://empowerla.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Red-lined-Draft-Code-of-Conduct-2-2-22-1.pdf
marianne king
03:08:30
Ginny, your issue got pushed aside I think- I just want to say I think it's good to do qualitative assessments on this training- what is critical, helpful, what is not.....
Tony Wilkinson
03:09:31
Truthfully, I have not seen many NCs that have the CAPACITY to manage significant projects with grant funds. The better answer for most NCs may be to partner with non-profits in the community who have experience and provide staff help with the project.
Chris Rowe
03:10:04
Tony W - If I recall, the Winnetka NC was making major improvements with their funds when I visited them back around 2009. We had bigger budgets then. I went their when I was a member of the LADWP Advocacy Committee and the NCs were No on Measure B. I know you will remember those days.
Chris Rowe
03:10:21
Tony - I meant there.
Tony Wilkinson
03:10:40
The Valley Disaster Preparedness Fair is a good example of an NC project that rolled into a separate non-profit, with (I think) very good results.
Tony Wilkinson
03:11:59
What is the status of the city's Equity Policy? Would BINC consider a separate Equity policy for NCs?
Cindy Cleghorn
03:17:52
Its great to have discussion on all these items. Everyone’s comments whether complaining or otherwise are great.
Chris Rowe
03:19:17
Tony W. - Are you suggesting that all NC members will need to sign their names as he/ him; she / her; they/ them; et al?
Jamie York she/her
03:19:40
For section 5 it lacks any mention of social class. Ie homeowner or renter status
T Taylor
03:20:49
A few points to consider about DONE and policy-setting:
Tony Wilkinson
03:20:52
Then the discussion should be AT BONC. This is NOT a public venue. This is an extra opportunity for us to hear Commissioners and the GM because of THEIR COUTESY in coming here.
T Taylor
03:21:03
1. I can’t think of ANY organization wherein staff appears above elected officials. NCs are lawfully elected representatives, and DONE (and BONC) should not be construed as having authority over our process. They should administer, support and facilitate, help ensure NCs remain in compliance with applicable laws, and not rule over or police NCs which is outside the scope of their authority.
T Taylor
03:21:18
2. Keep due process in this and in all policies. Paragraph 6 in current Code of Conduct draft removes due process. Putting decision to suspend in only one person’s hands is not good.
Tony Wilkinson
03:21:20
courtesy
T Taylor
03:21:31
3. When DONE fails to comply with its own policies (such as its board seating policy), do we want them to promulgate and enforce even more? Ensure compliance with existing laws, that’s it.
T Taylor
03:21:39
4. I submitted a CPRA on November 24, 2021 (#21-10300) that DONE has inexplicably delayed seven (7) times. Why? I’m still waiting.
T Taylor
03:21:51
5. I appreciate the chat function, which is always deactivated at DONE meetings and trainings.Tess Taylortess@narip.com
Tony Wilkinson
03:22:13
Who should be on a committee is NOT a behavior issue. It is a Board policy issue. DEI issues should be brought up.
Chris Rowe
03:23:20
To Tony - I also will say that I have family members at all levels of my extended family that are a part of the LGBTQ et al community. I support this community completely.
Sharon Brewer
03:29:20
Citywide Workplace Equity policy heard in Personnel, Audits and Animal Welfare Committee on 03/02/22 CF22-0200 agenda item #13 CAO report and attachment to report. )3/03/22 report from Personnel, Audits, and Animal Welfare on CF22-0200 with recommendations for Council action.
Tony Wilkinson
03:32:13
Thank you Sharon!
Cindy Cleghorn
03:34:42
Elections next time: Live and VBM. We have neighbors who are just not going to go online. Offer both. The City Clerk’s Tech for registering voters and candidates will be 95% better next time (leaving out 5% just because nothing is ever perfect). All these methods are GREAT opportunities for communities, NC outreach and voter turnout for all.
Tony Wilkinson
03:34:55
Too late for this election, but we would need an ordinance that allowed "live there" residents to include block groups that overlapped NC boundaries. I would support that. However, there are some prefect is the enemy of the good Board Members who STRONGLY oppose that idea.
Tony Wilkinson
03:35:55
Prior comment was re using existing voter rolls and precinct lists as source for NC "live there" voters.
Jamie York she/her
03:37:43
It’s extremely easy thru the county!
Tony Wilkinson
03:38:15
On election outreach, the use of the funds was probably really poor. However we should be talking about MOVING FORWARD and how we partner to make good use of the money that EmpowerLA has requested on our behalf.
Cindy Cleghorn
03:38:47
Yes, Tony, great opportunities are ahead for all !
Tony Wilkinson
03:39:12
WE will NOT be able to exactly match registered voter rolls with NC boundaries. Everyone who advocates that (including me) need to deal with that objection.
Jamie York she/her
03:39:46
When will the work group be formed?
Cindy Cleghorn
03:41:39
I think to partly answer Pat Bates — the NC system doesn’t choose the County Voter rolls. The NC system reaches for those who are not on County Voter rolls. A few years ago they did get the voter data for us and even provided the Nation Builder platform for NCs. It went well for some and not for others.
Tony Wilkinson
03:42:06
It is TRUE that the GM has been telling the Mayor and the city that DONE needs an ONGOING, annual outreach fund and that it is an ALL THE TIME issue.
Glenn Bailey
03:42:12
That's alright -- start the outreach on July 1st rather than in November just before candidate filing....
Jamie York she/her
03:42:37
The survey you commissioned and ran showed data that 73% of respondents are aware of us. Is that data incorrectv
Pat Bates Encino NC
03:42:43
Should we be spending on this now??
Tony Wilkinson
03:43:58
In fact, the GM only got the outreach funds after the City Clerk agreed to share part of THEIR funds with DONE. So it was LESS THAN a regular budget cycle.
Cindy Cleghorn
03:44:29
It will be great to share our thoughts on Elections outreach in your meetings. I do think the one on one meetings should be open to all. I know that’s challenging but maybe there’s a way at least for folks to listen in.
Glenn Bailey
03:44:30
Can we wrap up after this? Thanks.
Pat Bates Encino NC
03:44:33
Why on earth would the County voter Rolls not be used? Respectfully - try it again.
Tony Wilkinson
03:45:27
Pat, the precinct boundaries do not match the NC boundaries. The county is not about to redraw all of its precincts to match the city's NCs.
Cindy Cleghorn
03:45:35
Pat — good idea. The County has Town Councils and they have voters turn out to vote their volunteer council members from Voter rolls.
Cindy Cleghorn
03:46:27
Tony — we got this info through Nation Builder a few years ago.
Pat Bates Encino NC
03:46:33
Precinct boundaries are one thing and addresses are another. Can we not analyze by address?
Jamie York she/her
03:47:24
You can get extremely detailed data fromThe county and even private data brokers
Chris Rowe
03:47:32
Thank you to Brian Allen. I agree with you.
Tony Wilkinson
03:48:01
Pat, we still have the boundaries issue. There are still people in the NC system who hate the idea of "close enough" sets of "live there" stakeholders.
Chris Rowe
03:48:10
I also want to thank GM Beltran for her last respectful comments to work with EmpowerLA. and VANC.
Nina Royal
03:48:38
Brian is right IMPO!
Corinne Ho
03:48:48
Thanks Brian. We need to revisit Sec. 900
Cindy Cleghorn
03:49:33
Neighbors (stakeholders) want to know how their voice can matter. We work hard to try and share how to do that because some of our elected officials only listen to their supporters which makes it hard for those most impacted by a decision. We help so their voice is heard.
Tony Wilkinson
03:49:51
I spent the middle of my career as the marketing services director for a national insurance company, and $40,000 is trivial, even for Panorama City with 78,000 stakeholders.
Cindy Cleghorn
03:50:34
People come out for issues.
Tony Wilkinson
03:50:52
Every carrier rount in EDDM mailing will cost nearly $1,000, and the ONE route would need to be mailed at least6 times a year to get proper exposure.
Corinne Ho
03:51:31
There are NC's who fund community events for $5k and no ROI at all. Considering that the only ways for us to fund is public schools and 501 (c3), we fund those by default because those are the only entities we could fund.
Pat Bates Encino NC
03:51:39
I have used voter data to do outreach of the beginning of the pandemic (besides other things), it covers everything and we got it from the City council - I can look at those lists and verify every voter in our area. People do not know we are here!
Tony Wilkinson
03:52:13
When we were forming the Panorama City NC, we distributed a printed newsletter through schools. For a decade afterward, everyone remembered that regular newsletter.
T Taylor
03:53:12
@Steve Randall, please drop your contact details in the chat - thanks!
Cindy Cleghorn
03:53:36
I do find it interesting when its said NCs not doing their job. The job tasks are ever changing. The competition is ever changing. Many don’t want to be burdened by the rules NCs have so they’re out on their own. That can be good. Its more of us working together toward improving community.
Tony Wilkinson
03:53:50
Pat, the voter rolls would need to AUTOMATICALLY register every registered voter in the NC election. Many of those would be OUTSIDE OF BOUNDARIES. How will you deal with that?
Pat Bates Encino NC
03:53:51
Many of our residents are terrified releasing their information to get a ballot.
Cindy Cleghorn
03:54:10
Well…Sunland-Tujunga is a documentation council and we had the 2nd highest voter turnout in the Valley.
Pat Bates Encino NC
03:55:45
Tony how on earth would a voter roll automatically register anyone?? It would be a checkbox and someone verifies it.
Cindy Cleghorn
03:56:16
Yes — Glenn !
Jamie York she/her
03:56:33
All of this!
Tony Wilkinson
03:57:35
YES. Elections have NEVER worked as well under the City Clerk as the did when we ran them under DONE. (Admittedly, I was an Independent Election Administrator - which included OUTREACH, including for CANDIDATES - two election years.) In my last year, in Southwest Valley, 5 of the Region's NCs had the highest turnout in their ENTIRE HISTORY.
Chris Rowe
03:57:41
When we had to vote in public for the NCs, we did have to provide documentation.
Jamie York she/her
03:57:56
If we kept up with inflation we’d have 75-80k
raquel beltran
03:58:05
Glenn’s point is significant. That is why we are asking to have the City Council understand that awareness and engagement is year-round. There is no such thing as an off-year when it comes to this point. We must work together.
STEVE RANDALL
03:58:07
Steve Randall, 818 340-4700 stevekr2000@aol.com
Cindy Cleghorn
03:58:21
Yes Tony — NC leaders working together!
Tony Wilkinson
03:59:09
Prime rib dinners at our new in-person Board meetings!
Chris Rowe
03:59:41
There should have been a lot more money spent on our non-profits that help the food insecure, the unhoused, etc.
Cindy Cleghorn
04:00:38
Linda is correct — Thank you Linda!
Jamie York she/her
04:02:58
Our outreach chair is newly elected to our board. This is very good point
raquel beltran
04:02:58
You decide which person or committee you want the NEA to meet with. It is YOUR choice.
Pat Bates Encino NC
04:03:09
Lydia youy are right!
Tony Wilkinson
04:03:16
In Panorama City, the Rules Committee did the election outreach.
Tony Wilkinson
04:03:48
Thank you for Len, Joy, and our GM for all coming tonight.
Tony Wilkinson
04:04:18
Agree on not leaving important NC issues untile the END of the agenda.
Cindy Cleghorn
04:04:50
Yes, its good they are here to hear from all. Not sure it all matters but we try to share our voice. Thank you!
Sharon Brewer
04:04:56
One on one meeting with NEA e-mail all NC board members.
Chris Rowe
04:04:59
I agree with Lydia. There are many previous elections that new Board members may not be aware of the issues.
Joy Atkinson
04:05:22
I have always enjoyed VANC meetings because I learn so much from an area besides the one I represent - South Central. Good to get different viewpoints.
John and Michele Hales Northridge South NC
04:05:25
Great Meeting!