Zoom Logo

Los Angeles Neighborhood Council Coalition (LANCC) - Gallery view
Elias Najar
19:20
https://streetsla.lacity.org/tree-inventory-schedule
PHILIP ARMSTRONG
25:16
All over the state, trees are dying in the drought and fire danger is increasing. How does that change the conventional wisdom that native trees shouldn't receive supplemental watering?
Steve Twining
41:56
Nc's were devised to avoid the split up of Los Angeles. Not to provide independent consultation to the city.
Pat Bates
44:43
Any deal the city makes that requires community involvement and outreach should mention engaging the NCs, especially for things affecting specific areas - for example consider the LA28 Games MOU. If there is any mention of NCs, I can't find it yet they "guarantee" community engagement.
Bob Gelfand
47:02
Lou — I’d like to talk to you later off line. Interesting email.
Rachael Rose Luckey
49:21
Bill of Rights! Nice!
Bob Gelfand
49:51
Sid — the idea of a bill of rights or a negotiated mou is something that might work. Can you put up on chat the zoom meeting?
Rachael Rose Luckey
50:12
^^^^^
Rachael Rose Luckey
52:14
Mayoral Candidate Debate Forum organized by LANCC?
Liz Amsden
53:26
motion for LANCC to accept the report and direct the group to move forward on coming up with suggestions to address these issues to bring back to LANCC in the months to come
Tony Wilkinson
56:14
Specifically, that is why Doug said we need to consider what we want to ask for. Glenn has a point in saying "be careful what you ask for". We know our challenges. We should also understand the pitfalls of future actions on our part.
David Uebersax
56:42
Rachael, yes, as proposed a month or so ago, having done it in the past with all attending...except Garcetti.
Tony Wilkinson
58:11
Almost EVERY "top down" rule / program has come, in my perception, from loud agitation by a few people in the NC system. We should al be cautious about that. Back to Glenn's "bne careful what you ask for".
Rachael Rose Luckey
59:03
Thanks David :~)
Bob Gelfand
01:01:39
My experience over the years is that the authorities take what a few people say as an excuse that the masses are demanding it. It generally has not been true. One way to make our presence known is to defeat one or two incumbents in the upcoming elections.
kathleen Edwards, NWNC
01:02:08
I bow to my esteemed colleagues in their comments. As a relatively new member, I and others, when reading the mandates and directives coming from DONE and BONC, we see little inclusion or diversity of thought being accepted. When training sessions are held by DONE, the request for comments from NC members seems nothing more than an appeasement toNCs, as none of the Nc comments seem to be accepted or implemented. The new COC and mandated Cornerstone classes create more “fear,” of participating in the NC program. That, combined with the lack of TRUST of DONE and BONC to be non-biased and neutral in their punitive abilities, diminishes NCs faith that our positions exist in a “safe,” environment.
Tony Wilkinson
01:02:09
The reality is that LA (and Calif) invent the nation's future. One reason we need to be very concerned about the health (or lack thereof) in public involvement with government.
Bob Gelfand
01:02:55
How about a public movement to oppose the ambassadorial appointment?
Raquel Beltran
01:04:38
no comment, I look forward to a good process
Tony Wilkinson
01:07:45
BOB! I want a great new ambassador to India AS FAST AS POSSIBLE!!!
Raquel Beltran
01:08:01
thank you for that remark
Bob Gelfand
01:09:15
Tony — I can’t use an exclamation point after your name because you have used all of them. There ought to be some things we can extract from him as part of his leaving.
David Uebersax
01:09:50
Like evidence? Executive Privilege doesn't end after they're gone?
Glenn Bailey
01:10:58
For those who are newer to the NC system, Doug Epperhart was a member of BONC representing the Harbor Area
Rachael Rose Luckey
01:11:35
Well said Doug!
kathleen Edwards, NWNC
01:11:40
Thank you, Glenn.
Tony Wilkinson
01:12:26
Also City Attorney
Tony Wilkinson
01:13:42
Yes, and Controller. I dont want Ron Galperins great open data initiative shut down
Rachael Rose Luckey
01:13:45
I will be the most aggressive city council person advocating for the NC system. One of my campaign promises is that I will personally show up to NC meetings within the 13th district at least once a quarter.
Rachael Rose Luckey
01:14:29
i could use everyone’s support to get me into office :~)
Bob Gelfand
01:14:31
The time to get commitments from candidates is now, not after they are elected.
Cindy Cleghorn
01:14:50
Thank you Doug!
Rachael Rose Luckey
01:16:12
Any chance of a forum for council member candidates?
Tony Wilkinson
01:16:49
We have also have forums where only the uncompetitive people came. We can do more that just hold a forum. We may actually want to make recommendations )which is not the impartial forum approach.
David Uebersax
01:16:51
I figured you'd ask...maaaaybe?
kathleen Edwards, NWNC
01:17:21
Yes, thank you, Doug. I know I was shocked when I heard Ms. Beltan say at one of our “training,” sessions, “NC board members DO NOT have the same First Amendment rights as others.”
Tony Wilkinson
01:17:43
Oppose in person meetings because we already have issues of fair participation. Zoom has proven its ability to get more and broader participation.
David Uebersax
01:18:17
Hybrid? We can be a Proof Of Concept for the system overall...
Tony Wilkinson
01:19:25
Hybrid is expensive and complex to execute. That is what GM Beltran found in the group )where she DID ask for NC input on the issue=.
Tony Wilkinson
01:19:50
Sry, my special characters are acting up.
Tony Wilkinson
01:21:19
YES. We need to show up at ALL appearances and forums for Mayor and make points about the expectation for support for Neighborhood Council empowerment.
Bob Gelfand
01:22:08
NCs are good at spinning off private organizations that can support candidates all they want. We have done that.
Tony Wilkinson
01:22:48
AGREE on rating candidates for all elected offices. Just like the LA Times editorial board does 'under the current owner, always supporting what I call the °corporate wing° of the Democratic party.
Raquel Beltran
01:23:26
Can we receive a list of the working group members and how they were selected? thanks
Tony Wilkinson
01:23:41
YES, we need to have wide by in to WHAT WE WANT for it to be effective.
Tony Wilkinson
01:23:47
buy in
Cindy Cleghorn
01:24:38
The meetings held at L.A. City College were great. Topics / Speakers and everyone showed up to hear directly. Its sad at the distancing of NCs and the City representatives from all areas.
kathleen Edwards, NWNC
01:25:12
Right on, Cindy!
Glenn Bailey
01:26:20
A previous spin off group dealing with City elections and candidates was called "Clean Sweep" -- this was at least ten(?) years ago
Tony Wilkinson
01:26:40
Raquel, the group was not selected. It was assembled from people who chose to participate. Doug has a current list. It is a fairly eclectic group, including new as well as older NC members.
Myrra Bolla
01:28:29
why are small loud minority imposing their demagoguery on us.
Tony Wilkinson
01:28:53
Lauren, you are welcome to choose to declare not using pronouns as hostile. I cannot judge for you. However I am able to observe that is is performance art. My pronouns do appear on my Twitter account.
Lauren (she /they) Echo Park NC
01:30:11
Being welcoming is not a choice but a responsibility. This loud minority is part of the Zeitgeist of inclusivity. You are welcome to join us in being on the right side of history.
Bob Gelfand
01:30:43
Lauren — you are doing some mind reading if you read the lack of pronouns as being a hostile act. I would guess that for most of us, it is just our way of speaking and writing English going back to elementary school.
Lou Caravella
01:30:55
I recall the the LANCC vote to establish the ad hoc committee from today’s agenda item #2 was 15-1.
Myrra Bolla
01:31:20
Lauren what is YOUR responsibility in relation to the council?
Cindy Cleghorn
01:31:28
Lou — I thought it was 16-0-1
Lauren (she /they) Echo Park NC
01:32:05
I read behaviors, not minds.
David Uebersax
01:32:06
That included a phone aye
Lou Caravella
01:32:18
Hi Cindy, it could be. It was a near unanimous vote.
Bob Gelfand
01:32:25
It’s a little weird that a city department that acts in such gross secrecy is now demanding the names of members of an ad hoc advisory committee. Shall we recount the Hollywood Blacklist story?
Cindy Cleghorn
01:33:05
Lou — double check me on it. Thanks!
David Uebersax
01:33:29
I apologize for the rebuilt Word agenda which skipped item #3, we'll return to it
David Uebersax
01:33:36
Thank you Lou!
Tony Wilkinson
01:34:02
I want to support Lauren in speaking about the importance of pronouns. In in'person meetings, it is an offer for people who may use an identity that is not obvious to also share their own preferred form of address. We just have different levels of priority in doing it in large open online meetings, where it is not so much a personal welcoming gesture.
Max Kirkham (he/him) - GWNC
01:34:54
Thank you Tony
Tony Wilkinson
01:35:18
Thanks to you and Lauren for you input as well.
Tony Wilkinson
01:45:33
The focus on filing Community Impact Statements as an effectiveness measure originated in the MAYORs department. In my opinion it is less effective than some measure of how many local people are introduced and helped to take their own actions to affect civic issues.
Tony Wilkinson
01:49:07
I would love to have some specific asks in advance of any invitation for candidate statements. Those statements should respond to our requests.
Tony Wilkinson
01:50:28
Doug is spot on about LANCC communications. We should have at least a monthly email that goes to everyone 'board members and others who volunteer'.
DavidRockello(hey/you)RVNC
01:52:46
The pronoun usage should be a voluntary choice as this subject of pronouns is a generational identifer & not an intentional insult to the new generation of folks attending LANCC, let's make it fun & safe to address the pronoun usage as a personal choice, not a challenge to be on the correct side of history...We just have to look at the acceptance of the term: "Defund the Police!" as a generational divide on the meaning & acceptance of whatever is new & not fully understood when it is first brought to a group for application on an atlarge basis.
AdrianaDeLaCruz(she/her)
01:52:50
LANCC@EMPOWERLA.ORG
Tony Wilkinson
01:53:48
Glenn has a good idea for everyone. Feel free to send notes to LANCC officers through lancc AT empowerLA DOT org.
Tony Wilkinson
01:54:56
I thought we have a YouTube °story° that includes many of the individual sessions
Sid Gold
01:55:15
Presentation by Melina Abdullah
kathleen Edwards, NWNC
01:56:06
To Sid: Oh, please Lord, No!!!
Tony Wilkinson
01:56:09
Yes, Sid. We need to get that up. I know you are waiting for it. She was fairly well behaved.
AdrianaDeLaCruz(she/her)
01:57:26
https://neighborhoodcongress.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=43b7b6fc1838a6a8765dc0347&id=fa6094418c&e=671e87b00f
AdrianaDeLaCruz(she/her)
01:57:37
Congress Agenda
Glenn Bailey (he/him)
01:59:08
The Congress Planning Committee monthly meeting is after this meeting at 1:30 p.m.
AdrianaDeLaCruz(she/her)
02:00:32
Websitehttps://www.neighborhoodcongress.la
kathleen Edwards, NWNC
02:01:43
I do hope the Congress will be more transparent as to posting minutes, member voting, etc. If their intent is to politicize the Congress, members need to be individually and collectively accountable.
Tony Wilkinson
02:02:34
We had 90 minutes of listening on the LANCC Doug issues with the system. We had a session called Beyond the CIS to discuss doing more community rabel rousing. I think it is incorrect to say we did not discuss issues like we discussed today.
kathleen Edwards, NWNC
02:04:19
Perhaps people did not attend as a measure of protest of where new Congress members are going with their politicization of the Congress.
Lauren (she /they) Echo Park NC
02:04:49
I found a lot of topics that interested me were scheduled against one another. On balance, I learned a lot. As for difficult topics confronting our beloved City, we have to be brave leaders in discussing these crucial challenges.
Tony Wilkinson
02:06:59
The Congress belongs to everyone in the system. It does not belong to a group that won an election last year. The way to have a Congress that responds to current needs is for people to PARTICIPATE.
Tony Wilkinson
02:07:48
People who did not participate Bob are complining. Participating is how you change things.
Lauren (she /they) Echo Park NC
02:08:27
One area I hope we can specifically improve on is outreach to 3 really critically underserved communities: Youths, Immigrants and Seniors. We can and should do better with workshops that serve these groups.
Tony Wilkinson
02:09:04
YES YES YES. Thanks Lauren.
Myrra Bolla
02:09:19
I agree with Lauren. I am immigrant and know how it feels when it comes to many issue.
Tony Wilkinson
02:10:12
And especially Neighborhood Councils are open to EVERYONE who lives in a neighborhood. Documentation status is not relevant.
Tony Wilkinson
02:12:34
Glenn, her inbound audio is not working. Ms. Beltran cannot hear you.
Tony Wilkinson
02:13:56
Thanks fo elevating Vanessa. It is a loss to the NEA team. Still, she can affect more coucils now.
Bob Gelfand
02:14:43
I’ve been to at least 8 or 10 congresses over the recent years, and put on sessions in a number of them, ranging from emergency preparedness to international trade to the idea of giving real power to neighborhood councils. A few years ago, close to 40% of all of the session time was devoted to people from the planning group who had taken the time for themselves. There are several crucial issues that were missed in the last few congresses. On the other hand, I would like to thank Daniel Perez for the excellent job he did in creating our alternative thread a few years ago.
Lauren (she /they) Echo Park NC
02:16:54
The survey multiple outreach contacts commitment was much appreciated, GM Beltran.
Tony Wilkinson
02:22:24
Honestly, i LIKED the opportunity to fill in written comments. Truthfully, though, identification with the NC combined with my comments is probably enough to guess who is filling out the survey. Maybe have two surveys. First a simple choose the answer survey with geographic location ' NC region perhaps. Second a more in depth survey with written answer where people who are less sensitive about anonymity can participate.
Tony Wilkinson
02:24:30
Encumbering funds is indeed a great advance. DONE deserves credit for fighting for that in the past. Hope it comes back.
Tony Wilkinson
02:27:50
Actually Lou there were some surveys at the start of the current DEI effort where I identified as multiracial or other or some such because I considers VIKINGS as a separate European race. In surveys that really count, that is not kosher. However the possibility that people lie is real.
Lauren (she /they) Echo Park NC
02:29:00
Demographics can be important -- even crucial -- fact finding tools. But I hear and share some of the concerns expressed here. It is a BIG concern on EPNC as we consider doing our own survey canvassing. DEI is not a side issue but a challenge we must meet. Just how is the sticky wicket.
Tony Wilkinson
02:29:48
Again, DONE should get credit for speaking up against the Cornerstone contract. They have done this for a long time. Brava
Tony Wilkinson
02:29:59
doing this
Lauren (she /they) Echo Park NC
02:30:50
Re: Cornerstone? 🤦‍♀️ So flawed, so frustrating. Is their a RFA we should send to someone / Department?
Tony Wilkinson
02:30:58
Octo0ber for the template is NOT EARLY
Cindy Cleghorn
02:33:32
Regarding the required Planning 101 Training. I’ve taken it several times. I personally have no problem with repeating it. I do have a problem that the City doesn’t have a record that I’ve taken it. On another note, we have long time land use committee members who refuse to take the training. They have extensive knowledge of land use. I don’t like seeing these folks quit because of the required training. Since the “taking” of the training is cumbersome this makes it difficult to encourage them to take it. How can DONE help with this ?
Tony Wilkinson
02:34:41
Suggestion for everyone. Consider eliminating the 30 day posting requirement for bylaws changes. With narrow windows for bylaw changes that just hurts US in changes WE want to make. We should also work to STOP the moratorium on bylaws revisions. There should only be a moratorium on bylaws revisions that AFFECT THE BALLOT VOTING MODEL. All other bylaws revisions should be open 12 months of every year. The moratoriums were and OVER ASK by the Clerk for their own convenience.
AdrianaDeLaCruz(she/her)
02:35:30
Agree
Lauren (she /they) Echo Park NC
02:35:31
GREAT question @DavidUbersax!
David Uebersax
02:36:38
Need to check if the mandatory (deferred enforcement from last year) Planning Committee Member training is working in Cornerstone now.
Tony Wilkinson
02:36:50
NC Land Use committees do NOT engage in hearings. We are not Zoning Administrators and do not have hearing power. Just a note on wording.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:37:08
Sometimes having discussion helps find solutions. PlanCheckNC would be happy to host at a PlanCheckNC meeting a Planning 101 session. Other alliances could help too so the training could make its way around the City.
David Uebersax
02:38:38
Thanks Cindy, I figured that this hobby horse belongs mostly to y'all!
Cindy Cleghorn
02:41:14
Let’s have a Ham check-in for NC hams !
Raquel Beltran ( she / they)
02:41:44
I am happy to respond
Tony Wilkinson
02:42:04
The land use training requirement is a CLASSIC case of inappropriate over regulation. Just as many cases are deliberately withheld from Neighborhood Councils by Mayor and City Council effort to go to Directors Determinations vs ZA hearings, the city issues a training requirement for a function that is less and less used. Land Use committees should be moving to add other issues like transportation because they have fewer and fewer land use cases to consider.
Lou Caravella
02:42:42
I’m not looking to get into an argument with Ms. Beltran, so I will resend you all the email I sent regarding the facts of the website breach. I strongly caution DONE representatives against continuing to misconstrue matters of fact at public meetings.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:43:00
With regard to the Code of Conduct — How did we get here ? I see such a crossover in different areas.
Raquel Beltran ( she / they)
02:43:21
ready
David Uebersax
02:43:44
Cindy, when my dad worked at White Sands, my brother worked with a ham friend to stage an alien invasion for my benefit.
Tony Wilkinson
02:43:58
Also, the demand for Land Use training was an ask from a small number of vocal Neighborhood Council members. Again, we should not blame BONC and DONE for responding to a loud minority. Or maybe we SHOULD.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:47:03
With regard to websites — Has anyone or DONE looked into how other National or State organizations offer structure ? It would be another choice.
Tony Wilkinson
02:47:11
The rule that is being discussed is a terrible restriction of the rights of Neighborhood Councils to do their work. If Land Use committees cannot vote on land use issues, DONE is now saying that the BOARD cannot vote on land use issues. Why is this offensive effort to limit the power of NC BOARDS not on anyoneàs radar___
Bob Gelfand
02:48:00
Tony — it’s the same question as all the others
Cindy Cleghorn
02:48:52
Like the Code of Conduct. RE: Planning 101 training requirement. How did we get here ? What is the purpose / point ?
Tony Wilkinson
02:49:51
This is NOT jn the same level as Ethics and Open Government. That is a STATE law. In front of us, we are hearing GLENN BAILEY demand that the requirement for Land Use training be enforced, and therefor the prohibition on BOARD action given the lack of the same training. This is a classic example of NC MEMBER DEMANDS generating rules that we then blame BONC and DINE for creating.
Tony Wilkinson
02:50:14
DONE
David Uebersax
02:50:29
Oooh...I like DINE!
David Uebersax
02:51:27
Dining In Neighborhood Eateries!
Bob Gelfand
02:51:53
BONC should say no and should have said no
David Uebersax
02:52:20
Bars On Neighborhood Corridors?
Tony Wilkinson
02:53:06
Agree Bob. It is high ti9me for BONC to start speaking up for NC freedom from over regulation rather than being a complicit coregulator with DONE.
Bob Gelfand
02:55:43
Public officials instead of government officials? What is this — not volunteers and not employees
Tony Wilkinson
02:56:41
In all cases, elected officials or public officials or gvernment officials, I think NC members are looking for a title that they think will somehow empower them. Real power is taken not granted. I personally do not think that the exact term is that big a deal.
Bob Gelfand
02:58:08
I personally never cared all that much about the official title, but I do care about being treated like an unpaid employee
Tony Wilkinson
02:58:45
Agree with Bob. It is more important that NC Board Members are NOT volunteers or employees
Rachael Rose Luckey She| Her
02:58:52
It matters Bob when we talk to stakeholders.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:59:14
As a prior DONE GM (who later went to work for a Council member) said to us. NCs are just another group. There are other groups out there who have their voice too. Through the years NCs have gained more opportunities for a seat at the table. We are not those individual groups, nor should NCs be those groups. They may be specialized, have specialized knowledge and contacts. Its important that we know and we work respectfully with everyone regardless of political choice.
Tony Wilkinson
02:59:49
Thank you for NOT sharing the screen!
Garry Fordyce
03:00:02
DULY ELECTED PRO BONO CITY OFFICIALS 😉
David Uebersax
03:00:26
Thank you for moving through the agenda
Rachael Rose Luckey She| Her
03:00:33
Public Official :~)
Raquel Beltran ( she / they)
03:00:57
have to go everyone - enjoy the day
Tony Wilkinson
03:01:19
Thanks for spending time with us this Saturday!
Cindy Cleghorn
03:01:49
Thank you !
Tony Wilkinson
03:02:31
Ms. Beltran has left
Cindy Cleghorn
03:06:11
The Anti Bias training — Its going to take time to understand it all. Some of you may be faster with it. But, I’m utilizing some of the words in my day to day. Overall…. we are a diverse City.
David Uebersax
03:06:15
Cindy, having been on the Redistricting Commission hearing for the County, there's a lot of orgs that chime in--through what Members recognized as multiple script reading members of the public. At least the City/LAUSD version knew to recognize us as genuine reporters.
Glenn Bailey (he/him)
03:06:51
For future reference, you should be able to minimize a Screen Share by moving to the left the three vertical lines between the Share and the Gallery View.
Max Kirkham (he/him) - GWNC
03:07:21
I need to hop off. Thank you.
David Uebersax
03:07:38
Thanks Max
Cindy Cleghorn
03:09:10
David — Yes. That’s popular. Even within NCs. I did hear multiple times in the County redistricting refer to Neighborhood Councils.
David Uebersax
03:10:06
I'ts now 1pm
Glenn Bailey (he/him)
03:10:59
We need a break before the Congress Planning Committee meeting that starts at 1:30 p.m......
Tony Wilkinson
03:11:03
Again, it this really important_ The effort the DONE GM put into researching it is an indication of how the priorities are misplaced.
Myrra Bolla
03:15:55
Trainings are informative, but they all one sided.
Tony Wilkinson
03:16:01
Iàd like to hear from Len who has his hand up
Cindy Cleghorn
03:16:04
Great discussions today. Thank you all. All training is good. That’s what the NC Congress worked to achieve and to bring people together and network. All respectfully.
Tony Wilkinson
03:17:13
This wa for REGIONAL
Myrra Bolla
03:17:19
Thank you all for interesting discussions
AdrianaDeLaCruz(she/her)
03:17:25
Tuesday 12/7 at 6pm meeting ID: 82041875556