Zoom Logo

Start Clean: Your Meeting Objectives and Invitation List - Shared screen with speaker view
Kat Jacobs (she/her), City of Tucson
15:35
Collaboration!
Mayra Valdez
15:40
clear next steps
Bobbie (she/hers)
15:40
Clear purpose and engagement with room for collaboration, not just updating.
Tyler Chavers
16:03
totally kidding about lunch......at least since March anyhow :-)
Brenda Chamberlain hmis@ncfalliance.org
16:04
Starting to see more engagement
Kiki Serantes (she/they)
16:06
Diversity in activity types
brian.ricks
16:10
interactive
Matthew Davis
16:14
Clear. Collaborative. Catering.
Matthew Davis
16:19
Are we doing C-words only?
Matthew Davis
16:25
sorry just joined
Shantae, BfZ
16:37
lol, No. Matt, any descriptive word you can think of :)
Eddie Turner, BFZ
16:49
https://www.joinbuiltforzero.org/resources/case-conferencing-tool-bank/
J J
16:59
Will this session recording be shared out?
Eddie Turner, BFZ
17:11
We will share all slides (and session recordings, too)
Seli Perry
17:21
I checked out the tool bank last week...it was pretty cool!
J J
17:27
Thank you!
Eddie Turner, BFZ
17:35
Nice! Thanks, Seli!
Tyler Chavers
19:04
lecture
Ashley Barnes-Cocke
19:05
your going to teach us some stuff
Alexzandra Hust
19:07
Challenge our system!
Caitlin Bayer, BFZ (she/her)
19:07
that was ominous haha
Jessica Lunnemann
19:07
teach
Catrina Peters
19:09
improve skills for having a very productive CC meeting
Debbie Cato
19:10
lecture
Seli Perry
19:12
talk at us
Midori Higa
19:14
create a standard def of what CC encompasses
Isaac Sanders
19:20
Give us best practices
Bobbin Paskell
19:21
Help reset our team
Shida McCormick
19:23
engage us in team communication
jeremys
19:23
align goals with all invitees
Ashley Barnes-Cocke
19:25
ask us to reflect
Jessica
19:25
working to have the 'right audience' in attendance
Chelsey Ramirez
19:26
Have us create an agenda with meeting objectives
M Nelsen (they/them)
19:27
demonstration of conversation faciliation
Jackie Kent
19:27
I expect to receive tools to improve our community meetings
Kiki Serantes (she/they)
19:27
Practice setting objectives
Elizabeth Murray
19:28
Set foundational groundwork for case conferencing.
Cindy
19:29
Give common language for us to you during meetings
Josh Ledesma
19:30
laying a good foundation for case conferenicng
Jennifer Jones-Fremont County
19:32
challenge us to participate
Pam Hutcheson
19:32
Learn new ideas to help our team!
Josh Ledesma
19:33
conferencing*
Kat Jacobs (she/her), City of Tucson
19:34
I think I'm going to understand a lot better of what gaps our CC has and how we can improve.
Lisa Bell
19:38
facilitation techniques
Bobbie (she/her)
19:38
Share effective Case Conferencing ideas you have seen
Michelle Evans
19:38
Enlighten us and ask us the probing questions we need to be asking ourselves and team
brian.ricks
19:41
Help reset your teams objectives
jeastwood
19:42
Discuss how to develop Objectives.
BSantiago
19:45
Brenda Santiago LSS of Northern ca had trouble getting in..
DaveDenney
19:47
guidelines and structure
Eddie Turner, BFZ
19:59
Great to see many of you on cam! We’re alllllmost in a room together
keanna_johnson
20:21
Build a supportive team
Kat Jacobs (she/her), City of Tucson
20:30
Anxiety :)
Lisa Bell
20:30
feel confident in what I learned to walk away with it and DO it asap
Bobbin Paskell
20:33
Draw in the team to better understand why we do this
jeremys
20:35
Create a team that is aligned
Peter Bell
20:35
Get excited about making change
Michele Maynard
20:37
invigorate our process and engagement
Juli
20:38
Inspire
Chelsey Ramirez
20:39
feel empowered to improve case conferencing
Tyler Chavers
20:40
challenge current team to grow, and change
M Nelsen (they/them)
20:40
see data on the importance of timely objective setting
Jackie Kent
20:45
learn how to create achievable goals
Debbie Cato
20:45
create a team that works together
Brenda Chamberlain hmis@ncfalliance.org
20:47
team engagement
Marie Morrison
20:50
You'll share data if what happens if don't
Alexzandra Hust
20:53
Heard voices
Laura Pacheco
20:55
Genuine team engagement
Ashley Barnes-Cocke
20:59
we will leave with tasks
Amber Campman - Open Hearth Inc.
21:08
Creating an aligned team - where everyone feels like their time is well spent to serve those they are trying to
BSantiago
21:15
team work to effective collaboratively ...
Karen Brown
21:19
Focus the team on being goal oriented
jeremys
22:01
the original unmasked
Bobbin Paskell
22:12
LOL
Amber Campman - Open Hearth Inc.
22:20
I LOVE these dolls.
Rian Watt, BfZ
22:26
Sounds like Garen isn't so objective about objectives. Hypocrisy much?
BSantiago
22:33
perfect example!
Annie McBride
23:25
no
Bobbin Paskell
23:29
Not today... maybe tomorrow lol
keanna_johnson
23:29
Maybe
Nathan Crites-Herren
23:32
Yes I am confident
Elizabeth Murray
23:40
50/50
Brenda Chamberlain hmis@ncfalliance.org
23:42
kinda sorta
Paul
23:45
I think they would be close
Karen Brown
23:50
Possibly
Deborah Patterson
23:50
Yes
Jackie Kent
23:52
Probably
Matthew Brest
23:54
yes
Ashley Barnes-Cocke
24:30
a good reminder that virtually, it is often more likely people need more time/ways of getting clear on the objective than in person
Eddie Turner, BFZ
24:41
+100, Ashley!! Yes
Ashley Barnes-Cocke
24:43
cause we are distracted sometimes :D
jeremys
24:55
yes totally agree Ashley
Jennifer Jones-Fremont County
25:00
getting people housed
Elizabeth Murray
25:01
Knowledge collaboration
Bobbin Paskell
25:04
Identify barriers and strategize next steps
Alexzandra Hust
25:05
Strengths and barriers
Laura Pacheco
25:08
housing retention
jeremys
25:08
Referrals
Ashley Barnes-Cocke
25:08
match people with housing placements
Kelly Hunter
25:09
Housing is our focus
Catrina Peters
25:10
how to get people to be engaged
Kelly Raggazino - Open Hearth, Inc.
25:11
consenus
Karen Brown
25:12
# of housing goals set
Elizabeth Murray
25:12
shared resources
Matthew Brest
25:13
avoid updates with no discussion
Tyler Chavers
25:14
shrink the list
keanna_johnson
25:15
Reduction in numbers
Mayra Valdez
25:15
coordination, connection, collaboration
brian.ricks
25:17
barriers to housing
Peter Bell
25:17
Share resources and collaborate
Paul
25:17
Getting different provides to collaborate
Jackie Kent
25:17
provide a full range of services for all individuals
Meredith Munoz
25:18
out of the box positive problem solving
M Nelsen (they/them)
25:19
collaborate on community resources for partiicants
jeastwood
25:19
To monitor success toward housing
Nathan Crites-Herren
25:21
Overcoming system barriers in regareds to coordinated entry
Julius Henrichsen
25:23
a 0 unsheltered youth houselessness
Deborah Patterson
25:24
increase sped of communication
Josh Ledesma
25:29
consistency in work efforts
Michelle Evans
25:29
Coordination, action, and communication!
Seli Perry
25:30
identify housing barriers
Kat Jacobs (she/her), City of Tucson
25:31
Matching people with placements, and following up on past referrals
Jennifer Jones-Fremont County
25:37
identify next steps
keanna_johnson
25:38
Seeing improvements in the meeting after changes
Marie Morrison
25:39
Opportunities to flex together to meet a need.
Nathan Crites-Herren
25:42
creative solutions to housing - bridge housing
jeastwood
25:43
Share resources
Elizabeth Murray
25:45
reduction in time between access, assessment, referral, move in
clayjl
25:49
Increasing housing supply
KeKe Cody
25:51
coordinate and collaborate with other providers who may be working with specific clients
jeastwood
25:57
Provide information to Case Managers
Brenda Chamberlain hmis@ncfalliance.org
26:04
not allowing lack of funds to be the reason people are quite in the meetings.
Chelsey Ramirez
26:10
collaboration, resource sharing, target move-in dates, discussing barriers and strategies to house clients
Lisa Bell
26:17
accelerate that housingggg yassssss
Eddie Turner, BFZ
26:30
MAKE THE MEETING ABOUT HOUSING PEOPLE!
Jackie Kent
26:32
making sure every client has access to the services they need and everyone is working to house all clients
Eddie Turner, BFZ
27:27
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xfBythGrnrighWLUEEzrtQAJQX_Q07APsiTC-mgOi-g/edit#gid=0
KeKe Cody
28:12
How do you increase housing supply? One of the struggles in our region is a lack of "actually affordable for clients" housing
keanna_johnson
28:33
Ooooo I love this!!
Bobbin Paskell
30:37
Eddie, I think that may depend on community, although good in theory.
Bobbin Paskell
30:59
Some conference are population specific, and the concept is same, but team/population is different
Eddie Turner, BFZ
31:16
Absolutely, Bobbin! Everything is adaptable for your local context
Midori Higa
31:44
I'm with Bobbin! That's a challenge, but I think the differences outweigh the overlap
Eddie Turner, BFZ
31:46
The self-check could be: If there is overlap, is it intentional and productive?
Carmen Pineiro
31:53
Am I the only one that lost audio?
Chela Schuster
32:05
I have audio Carmen
jeremys
32:05
I can still hear the meeting
Caitlin Bayer, BFZ (she/her)
32:06
I still have audio Carmen
Yareli Salgado - Lake County, IL
32:08
I still have audio
Bobbin Paskell
32:19
@Eddie - right!
Sandy Colts
32:44
Experiential objectives = Garen superpower
Carmen Pineiro
33:01
I will check my equipment . Thank you
Karen Brown
33:39
I think you should check in after each agenda item
Cindy Chambers
34:12
Every time
jeremys
34:18
yes all the time
Pastor Berny
34:19
That's me doesn't always work well
Paul
34:20
That's us
BSantiago
34:20
I have seen that... very organized
Melissa Baker-She/Her - CFTH
34:33
We break it up between that and "who is in front of us right now?"
Nathan Crites-Herren
34:45
We have moved far away from this model unless it is necessary and requested by the group
Paul
34:46
I agree!
Bobbin Paskell
35:33
So there's more group buy in
M Nelsen (they/them)
35:35
engagement!
Brenda Chamberlain hmis@ncfalliance.org
35:36
It gets everyone talking to each other.
Amanda Fowler
35:37
more perspective and buy in from others
Cindy Chambers
35:37
If you don't need me to contribute, then why am I here?
Rebecca Ackerman
35:37
there is more buy in
Alexzandra Hust
35:38
Allows for accountability and responsiblity
Carissa Theis
35:39
get them active and involved
Kathryn Primas (she|her), Cook County
35:39
Everyone needs to contribute so they don’t feel like they are wasting their time.
Midori Higa
35:41
Because some folks dominant the conversation
jeremys
35:42
to get feedback
Maria
35:42
Engagement
Amber Campman - Open Hearth Inc.
35:43
Because otherwise what is the point of spending time in the meeting?
Tyler Chavers
35:46
hidden treasure
Paul
35:47
It can make them feel important and empowered which leads to more participation
Bobbin Paskell
35:48
Sparks ideas across the board
Melissa Baker-She/Her - CFTH
35:50
That is the reason why we are all at the table. To share access and resources
Kat Jacobs (she/her), City of Tucson
35:52
Why bother going to a meeting where you can't contribute?
Kelly Raggazino - Open Hearth, Inc.
35:52
fullfillment
Bobbie (she/her)
35:53
Hear from those who tend to have good ideas but may not speak up as often.
Johnny
35:54
community engagement
Karen Brown
35:56
each individual has something important to give
Maura Williams
35:57
Everyone contributes their expertise
BSantiago
35:58
sometimes someone will have something that one did not think of...
Michele Maynard
35:59
inclusion
jeastwood
36:00
Everyone has ownership
Elizabeth Murray
36:04
Every attendee brings value to the table and if they don't, they shouldn't be in attendance
S. Evans
36:05
all different ideas...
brian.ricks
36:07
it allows people to hear different ideas
Karen Brown
36:23
introverts might not speak up
keanna_johnson
37:05
No
jeremys
37:05
no
Kaylee Coulter
37:07
no
Annie ACEH
37:07
Probably not
Brenda Chamberlain hmis@ncfalliance.org
37:08
no
Susan Moore
37:12
no
Elizabeth
37:12
no
Cindy Chambers
37:17
Depends on structure
Cindy Chambers
37:19
of questions
jeremys
37:28
should be a circle with pie charts
Kathryn Primas (she|her), Cook County
38:15
We discussed long stayers a couple months ago and generated a lot of conversation. More than usual.
Bobbin Paskell
38:16
Depends... less engagement on the concept of "our clients". Only participate when it's his/her client in discussion
cprovencio
38:36
This has been more challenging, since we've gone virtual
jeremys
38:44
like iclouds space
Bobbin Paskell
38:46
Yeah, virtual is tough...
Habiba Rotter
39:01
We have a NEW agenda building kit in the resource bank y’all! It will get you 1000 steps closer to meeting your objectives
Eddie Turner, BFZ
39:03
That’s so common, Bobbin: People only pipe up when the meeting focuses on their clients! In tomorrow’s facilitation session, we’ll talk about how to effect some culture change on that point
Eddie Turner, BFZ
39:16
Haha me and Habiba both doing heavy promo :)
Bobbin Paskell
39:28
LOL
Habiba Rotter
39:29
#shamelesspromomode
Bobbin Paskell
39:46
You're drawing on your screen lol
Quinn C. Moerike
39:55
You are using the whiteboard function?
Brenda Chamberlain hmis@ncfalliance.org
40:03
That is the hard one, no they won't. They are scared they will be asked to do something they are not paid for, or their agency will not allow.
Tyler Chavers
40:15
celebrate successes
Bobbin Paskell
40:25
@ Brenda - RIGHT!
Paul
41:03
Express gratitude to all of your team mates when we celebrate successes
Habiba Rotter
41:05
The red dots are a beautiful and artistic touch
J J
41:06
good joke lol
Peter Bell
41:16
Its the markup in Zoom I believe.
Kaylee Coulter
41:22
yes
keanna_johnson
41:23
Yes
Tyler Chavers
41:23
zoom glitch
Jackie Kent
41:23
yes
K.O. Campbell
41:24
YEs we can see them
Anna
41:24
yes
Summer Garcia-Northern Colorado
41:24
YEs
Elizabeth
41:24
yes
Michelle M.
41:25
Yes
Julius Henrichsen
41:25
yes
Paul
41:25
yes
dora.cantu
41:25
yes
Ramonia M
41:26
yes
Midori Higa
41:26
yes
Meredith Munoz
41:28
Yes they are visable
J J
41:31
yeah but it’s not bad
Hilary Haake
41:31
Yes, but you can erase
Pastor Berny
41:34
You did say you wanted to make everyone laugh
Quinn C. Moerike
41:35
You definitely did that.
iPad
41:36
yes
Charmin Alston
41:38
yes, but it does not look bad
jeremys
41:42
it doesn't bother me
Tyler Chavers
41:48
no worries....adds flavor
Summer Garcia-Northern Colorado
41:59
Same here, Garen
Charmin Alston
42:02
We can still see the information, which is most important
jeremys
42:03
adds character
Kaylee Coulter
42:06
Gone!
Eddie Turner, BFZ
42:15
Great supportive vibes in the chatroom
Summer Garcia-Northern Colorado
42:16
Phew!!
Charmin Alston
43:06
making progress towards housing
jeremys
43:34
finding out what their goals are and how action oriented they are
Kelly Raggazino - Open Hearth, Inc.
43:44
Helping those in need with the most appropriate resources
Tyler Chavers
44:19
faster isn't always better.....so, "properly & faster"?
Habiba Rotter
44:19
People need to understand WHY faster matters, I personally didn’t when I worked on the frontline
Bobbin Paskell
45:11
Also, to create shift to accept that Diversion as a viable and realistic outcome for some.
Ashley Barnes-Cocke
45:14
very true Habiba it isn't necessarily a universal
Ashley Barnes-Cocke
45:21
* a given
Kathryn Primas (she|her), Cook County
45:25
How often do y’all have case conferencing?
Emma Beers, BFZ (She/Her)
45:32
Who Is the Brene Brown of this session
Bobbin Paskell
45:34
Biweekly, during pandemic
Midori Higa
45:55
<3 @Emily Beers!
Brenda Chamberlain hmis@ncfalliance.org
45:57
And this is how my meetings go, lol
keanna_johnson
46:11
@Brenda LOLLLLLLL
keanna_johnson
46:19
FRFR!!!!
Nathan Crites-Herren
46:27
our community does this periodalcly in case conf
Kelly Hunter
46:59
I agree
Eddie Turner, BFZ
47:00
Like Bobbie is saying—without a lot of work, gravity will pull your meeting time back to updates
Michelle Evans
47:11
We continue to case conference weekly
keanna_johnson
47:18
Agreed Eddie! It happened to us!
Nathan Crites-Herren
47:43
in person it is a lot easier
Nathan Crites-Herren
47:58
zoom meetings are harder to have that engagement, but we are getting there
Eddie Turner, BFZ
48:10
YES! How many of you are in updates modes today, even if you weren’t on March 1?
Midori Higa
48:28
Do folks present objectives/goals at the beginning of each CC meeting?
keanna_johnson
48:55
@Midori I try to remember to have it on my agenda so it is always visible
Eddie Turner, BFZ
49:19
Love that method of putting them right on the agenda. Can’t miss em or forget em there
Eddie Turner, BFZ
50:18
ARE YOU SUCCEEDING IN YOUR OBJECTIVES? Come to tomorrow’s measurement session, and we’ll figure it out together :)
Bobbin Paskell
50:33
Also, the pandemic is having a real emotional impact on staff that needs to be acknowledged. Tensions are high at times
Paul
50:49
@Bobbin absolutely
Emma Beers, BFZ (She/Her)
50:51
Very true, Bobbin!
Shantae, BfZ
51:04
@Midori, I find it helpful to do so. That way folks enter the meeting with a clear line of sight and not so much "in the air/go with the flow"
Eddie Turner, BFZ
51:07
Totally, Bobbin. Interesting to think about how to engineer the meeting activities to speak to that tension
Shantae, BfZ
51:20
Bobbin, +1000
Bobbin Paskell
52:26
We have also noticed tension between outreach/shelter staff and PSH staff... who "should" be doing what activities, and then different agencies having different policies around what they're allowed to do during the pandemic
BSantiago
52:53
we do this... called huddles by phone...
jeremys
52:53
I noticed that also Bobbin
Cindy Chambers
53:00
Do you mean a representative from each category or could there be several workers from each category?
keanna_johnson
53:03
@Bobbin, I have found that at this point some are using the pandemic as an excuse to not do some things
Bobbin Paskell
53:16
@keanna - sadly, correct
Shantae, BfZ
53:29
@Keanna, that's interesting. Would you be comfortable elaborating on that a little more?
Elizabeth Murray
53:40
How do you have that conversation with someone would doesn't need to be in the room? As in, how do you tell them not to come?
keanna_johnson
53:53
So some staff may say they can't transport clients, but others from the same agency are doing so
Kathryn Primas (she|her), Cook County
54:25
Most people in Cook County would love to be uninvited to case conferencing.
Shantae, BfZ
54:25
That makes sense and also is very interesting
Bobbin Paskell
54:37
@Kathryn - LOL
Kelly Raggazino - Open Hearth, Inc.
54:53
What if the participant's role is to be an expert on let's say D/A... but 2 meetings go by and no one is presenting with a D/A issues. How do you keep that participant involved?
Elizabeth Murray
55:02
Thank you!!
BSantiago
55:11
If I am asked to meeting and the meeting has nothing to do with my role I announce "why" I am in meeting and usually it is because the staff who was suppose to be at meeting can't make it.
J J
55:12
good question kelly
keanna_johnson
55:24
@elizabeth we just created a committee compact so everyone knows what is expected and if they aren't following through we have agreed on a system before we ask someone to leave the meeting
Amber Campman - Open Hearth Inc.
56:37
I second Kelly Raggazino's question. We are currently meeting weekly - maybe that is part of the problem with continued engagement?
Emma Beers, BFZ (She/Her)
56:38
@Kelly - when you create a team culture of "our client" everyone has the chance to be resourceful and help with creative problem solving, even if they can't offer a direct resource. It may be time to uninvite them, or it may just be time to work on making space for everyone to contribute beyond their individual expertise.
Kelly Raggazino - Open Hearth, Inc.
57:10
Good feedback! thank you Emma
Amber Campman - Open Hearth Inc.
57:16
Thanks Emma!
Elizabeth Murray
57:21
Thank you for the insight, Keanna!
jeastwood
57:44
Health care Navigation is missing
Bobbin Paskell
58:03
We have health care navigation which is working pretty well
keanna_johnson
58:03
You're welcome! If you want a copy PM me your email address and I will send you the rough draft
Alexzandra Hust
58:12
Challenge more outreach organizations to take on a facilitators role
Nathan Crites-Herren
58:14
doing more action items in case conf
Melissa Baker-She/Her - CFTH
58:17
Identify and clarify the roles of each person at the table and who else could be there.
Christiana Osawe
58:22
regular check ins to make sure we don’t revert!
Paul
58:22
I think rebuilding that sense of community is what we need to do more of
jeremys
58:29
action items for individuals
Kathryn Primas (she|her), Cook County
58:35
We need a system for updates so we don’t have to use case conferencing to do them.
jeastwood
58:35
re-assessment of objectives
Bobbin Paskell
58:37
Next meeting to discuss objective/ commitment to objective and "culture"
Bobbie (she/her)
58:38
I tend to review those roles presented and think through our current meeting participants and how they do/do not fit.
Nathan Crites-Herren
58:38
maybe smaller workgroups for case conf
Deborah Patterson
58:38
Seek help of active partners to bring missing people to meetings
brian.ricks
58:39
include more action items
Jackie Kent
58:42
discuss with service providers on call how they feel meetings are going and what they would like to see differently
Midori Higa
58:42
I want all of our meetings to start with goals/objectives and i'd like to use the terminology from the 'next steps' slide so folks understand their role(s)
Amanda Fowler
58:43
not ignoring the structure of meetings which is easy to do now that they are all virtual!
keanna_johnson
58:44
I am looking to grow into my role as the facilitator even though I have been doing for a few years now
Tyler Chavers
58:47
ask more questions
Elizabeth Murray
58:49
Shorten my invite list, spice up the agenda, create more actionable items
Yamhill Community Action Partnership
58:52
is it best to share the BNL electronically before each meeting
J J
59:01
what system are people using for updates
Amber Campman - Open Hearth Inc.
59:12
I think for us, getting people more engaged and not just in their own wheelhouse. More time to build the team at first, even if that means less direct client discussion.
Gerry McCafferty
59:13
Have the conversation about objectives and define why everyone is there
Bobbin Paskell
59:21
We don't share full list. We have a target list
Nathan Crites-Herren
59:24
Yes it helps our community
Cindy Chambers
59:24
Sometimes we focus on improving relationships/connections with agencies outside of homeless services (e.g. Adult Protective Services, Recovery programs, Crisis stabilization programs). Should that be a separate meeting? The conversation is meant to improve our housing processes for the given clients
Jennifer Jones-Fremont County
59:25
check in at the next meeting, clarify objectives and reset if necessary. Make sure we have everyone around the table to best help our neighbors experiencing homelessness to get housed faster
Yareli Salgado - Lake County, IL
59:31
We share a password protected list.
jeastwood
59:35
provide success feedback at each meeting
Megan Morales (she/her)
59:40
Set objectives and determine clear next steps during the meeting.
Bobbin Paskell
59:53
We also shift between the "not engaged" list vs the full BNL/target list
Shantae, BfZ
59:53
Here in Phx, they would share it beforehand (in a secure doc). That way folks came prepared to speak on the folks prioritized to speak on during the meeting.
DaveDenney
01:00:02
? BNL can be long. Should there be an amount each meeting to focus on? Just chronic? 10? 15?
Shantae, BfZ
01:00:14
It also allows space for all who aren't able to attend to also chime in on
Nathan Crites-Herren
01:00:17
top ten focus is a good idea
Emma Beers, BFZ (She/Her)
01:00:33
@Dave - there's a session on this tomorrow! It's called "Pick Clients to Discuss"
Bobbin Paskell
01:00:49
We use target of 15 or so, and alternate between that and not engaged list to promote identification
jeremys
01:00:56
prioritization list per their vi spdat scors
Matthew Brest
01:01:06
we have 3,000 people on our bnl in Phoenix, it's overwhelming to experience all at once
Emma Beers, BFZ (She/Her)
01:01:22
There's also a resource here that can help: https://www.joinbuiltforzero.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/How-do-we-decide-which-clients-to-talk-about-in-case-conferencing_-.pptx
Paul
01:01:53
we sort our list by VI-SPDAT score, considering coupling that with the length of time on the list as well
Shantae, BfZ
01:01:54
Matt Brest, +1 (Shout out to the Phx Home team)
Emma Beers, BFZ (She/Her)
01:01:56
We <3 filtering lists by priority!
Nathan Crites-Herren
01:02:04
We don't have a BNL but rather a database with lots of different buckets we break those buckets down to our clients that are in housing process and/or hardest to house population
DaveDenney
01:02:09
Thanks everyone...
Matthew Brest
01:02:22
Shantae!!!! <3
Bobbin Paskell
01:02:27
Don't forget those who are identified, but not engaged! And COVID Vulnerable
Brenda Chamberlain hmis@ncfalliance.org
01:03:38
We look at the clients that normally are not assigned out with our community's policies.
jeremys
01:03:57
love the formation aspect
Brenda Chamberlain hmis@ncfalliance.org
01:04:00
So that they are not falling through the cracks
Eddie Turner, BFZ
01:04:19
Also tomorrow’s Buckets Bootcamp session will deal with this question about who to discuss. Preview: We think you should discuss MORE than just your most vulnerable on the list!
Holly LeMasurier
01:04:27
YEs!!
Yareli Salgado - Lake County, IL
01:04:30
How to onboard new staff? Get them to drink the case conferencing Kool AId?
Bobbin Paskell
01:04:32
YES! Eddie!
jeremys
01:05:07
onboarding is important
Eddie Turner, BFZ
01:05:12
Yareli, yes, onboarding! Written objectives are a good tool for that. What activities are other communities doing to onboard individuals to an ongoing meeting?
Elizabeth Murray
01:05:19
^Agreed!
Kiki Serantes (she/they)
01:06:17
Thank you!!
Jackie Kent
01:06:19
thank you!!
megan kahn
01:06:20
thank you!
Megan Morales (she/her)
01:06:21
Thanks!
Peter Bell
01:06:22
Thank you!
Laura Pacheco
01:06:22
Thank you!
jeremys
01:06:22
that was awesome
Bobbin Paskell
01:06:23
Thanks all!
Amber Campman - Open Hearth Inc.
01:06:25
Thank you!!
Gerry McCafferty
01:06:25
Thank you!
Melinda Williams
01:06:25
Thank you
Michelle M.
01:06:25
Thank you!
Debbie Cato
01:06:26
Thank you!
Paul
01:06:26
Thank you!
keanna_johnson
01:06:27
Thank you!!!!!!!
iPad
01:06:27
thanks
May/LSS
01:06:27
Thanks!
BSantiago
01:06:28
thank you!!! awesome!!!
Tyler Chavers
01:06:30
tanks
Michelle Evans
01:06:30
Thanks!