Zoom Logo

Valley Alliance of Neighborhood Councils (VANC) Meeting - Shared screen with speaker view
Corinne Ho
32:22
Reeyan Raynes and Brad Vanderhoof
Cheri Derohanian
56:39
Commander, may we have your email address, if we have some young candidates interested in becoming an LAPD officer. Thank you!!
Commander Alan Hamilton
57:09
27393@lapd.online
Cheri Derohanian
01:05:11
Thank you Commander, for all this great information.
Tony Wilkinson
01:25:59
There are NO PROMOTIONS. That's why we have rotating command officers, etc.
Tony Wilkinson
01:38:14
NO No No -- low income communities of color NEED the police. The radicals among the post modern elite are arguing for people they do NOT represent
Corinne Ho
01:43:31
Thanks for mentioning that Commander. Yes, our officers were really out there during those times!
Jeff Mausner
01:45:15
VALLEY ALLIANCE OF NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCILS (VANC) RESOLUTION REGARDING THE WEST VALLEY ANIMAL SHELTER, passed unanimously on September 10, 2020Whereas the Los Angeles Animal Services (LAAS) Department has submitted a draft Proposal dated June 26, 2020 to turn the West Valley Animal Shelter into a privately run Community Resource Center; andWhereas this draft Proposal would result in significant loss of City services for the people and animals of the West San Fernando Valley; andWhereas it would result in overburdening the only other city animal shelter in the Valley, the East Valley Animal Shelter; andWhereas it would be inequitable because the entire burden of the LAAS budget cut is being visited on one area of the City, the West Valley; andWhereas the draft Proposal is overwhelmingly opposed by the residents of the West Valley and the City; andWhereas there are alternatives to the draft Proposal that would maintain the West Valley Shelter as a fully functioning municipal shelter;
Jeff Mausner
01:45:21
Now Therefore, the Valley Alliance of Neighborhood Councils (VANC), representing all 34 Neighborhood Councils in the San Fernando Valley, opposes the LAAS draft Proposal for the West Valley Animal Shelter dated June 26, 2020, demands that the West Valley Shelter remain open as a municipal shelter, and urges Neighborhood Councils to file Community Impact Statements (CIS) in support of this position in City Council File 20-1114, entitled West Valley Animal Shelter Long Term Plan.Proposed addition to this resolution:“… opposes the LAAS draft Proposals for the West Valley Animal Shelter dated June 26, 2020 and January 28, 2021 …”
Tony Wilkinson
01:51:54
Please do not forget Kaiser Permanente. They are HUGE in the Valley. For example, facilities in Sylmar, Woodland hills, Chatsworth\
Glenn Bailey
01:52:33
Here in the Valley, please don't forget about the CSUN mega site
Tony Wilkinson
01:52:47
YES, thank you Glenn
Aaron M Quantz WHWCNC
01:54:43
letting people know is all well and good but we MUST register for mail-in. NC Balloting
Tony Wilkinson
01:56:22
Actually KP East Valley is in SYLMAR site
Asaad Alnajjar-PRNC
01:57:43
This is the website to check the candidates filing https://clerkappsele.lacity.org/NCElection/nccandidates
Aaron M Quantz WHWCNC
01:58:18
or the drop boxes?
Aaron M Quantz WHWCNC
01:58:47
what time does it end? 5pm?
Tony Wilkinson
01:59:27
The ballot drop off l,ocations will be by NC REGION (NE, NW, SW, SE)\
Tony Wilkinson
02:00:38
Are there not a dozen or so that have not been addressed by DONE?
Kathleen Edwards.NWNC
02:01:07
Lee and everyone: you may find the info on your NC demographics at: EmpowerLA - neighborhood demographics  https://empowerla.org/data/
lydia grant
02:01:10
Raising my hand
Lee Blumenfeld Encino
02:01:36
Anyone else find it strange that during the 2020 elections, ballots were sent to everyone and you can register to vote on the day off but not now? Why is it no longer disenfranchisement?
Cheri Derohanian
02:02:17
This is neither the time nor the place for PRNC to address a GREVIENCE!!!!
Aaron M Quantz WHWCNC
02:02:36
different election laws based on locality
Kathleen Edwards.NWNC
02:04:52
When NCs started politicizing Censure claims, the need for a clear Grievance Policy became critical.
lydia grant
02:06:40
Please specify the exact rule and explain the facts of the alleged violation.
Cheri Derohanian
02:07:22
It was re-jashed a nd re-hashed, like a CENSURE all over again in Port Ranch. There was not aven a representative from DONE at that Specials Meeting. Gibson stayed for 15 minutes
lydia grant
02:07:41
Specific Violation Alleged***Failure to indicate the nature of your alleged Grievance will result in the dismissal of your Grievance
Aaron M Quantz WHWCNC
02:07:53
being unaware of the specific grievances helps us how when they are being addressed?
Asaad Alnajjar-PRNC
02:08:00
This is the link to lookup grievances https://lacity.quickbase.com/db/bmadw4dzy?a=nwr&nexturl=%2Fdb%2Fbki8tm99k%3Fa%3Dshowpage%26pageid%3D3
Raquel Beltran (she/her/hers)
02:08:07
Grievance page on website:
Raquel Beltran (she/her/hers)
02:08:14
https://empowerla.org/self-serve/
Asaad Alnajjar-PRNC
02:08:33
Thanks Raquel, here is the direct shortcut https://lacity.quickbase.com/db/bmadw4dzy?a=nwr&nexturl=%2Fdb%2Fbki8tm99k%3Fa%3Dshowpage%26pageid%3D3
Asaad Alnajjar-PRNC
02:09:19
Actuallt this one better link https://lacity.quickbase.com/db/bki8tm99k
Aaron M Quantz WHWCNC
02:11:29
she's right
Aaron M Quantz WHWCNC
02:11:34
again
Nina Royal
02:16:41
Raquel needed to be made aware of this problem with the grievance procedure because it affects all NC’s
Asaad Alnajjar-PRNC
02:17:12
Cheri, this meeting is for Neighborhood Council members, not stakeholders, to address issues related to empowerla procedure. We have questions to be answered. Thank you.
lydia grant
02:21:09
after peoples reputations are destroyed
Aaron M Quantz WHWCNC
02:22:14
grievances exist to try to hold NCs 'accountable' when they abuse their power
Kathleen Edwards.NWNC
02:23:31
Lydia, that goes both ways, right? Bd members should not be attacking other board members, unless it’s for truly egregious reasons.
Asaad Alnajjar-PRNC
02:23:32
Well said Brian, right on the point. Excellent recommendation.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:23:37
Raquel said no meeting to work through the grievance with the board. Can you clarify this ? There are 3 choices that the NC has within 60 days. 1) agendize and discuss grievance; 2) May consider possible remedy that could satisfy the grievance; 3) if accepted by the grievance, matter could avoid Regional Grievance Hearing. Is it a mistake what I’m seeing on the process ?
Corinne Ho
02:25:10
Agree with you Brian Allen. Thanks for uplifting that. We need more training.
Keren Waters-GHNNC
02:25:41
Well said Brian!
Kathleen Edwards.NWNC
02:26:13
yes!
Aaron M Quantz WHWCNC
02:28:36
that's why you don't ignore Council
Keren Waters-GHNNC
02:28:41
That is correct Raquel.
Aaron M Quantz WHWCNC
02:28:49
😃
Asaad Alnajjar-PRNC
02:32:02
Exactly correct Raquel. The response drop menu allows options of response to a stakeholder.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:33:59
I think Raquel is responding to my earlier chat post. I don’t think what she is describing is detailed in the procedure. The certification from DONE actually offers these choices. This so the NC could solve its own problems but Raquel stated it differently when its a board member to board grievance. Just want to clarify this. Thank you.
Sharon Brewer
02:34:47
Does the person filing grievance have to use real name?
Keren Waters-GHNNC
02:35:07
NCs should try to resolve grievances like an out of court settlement. It is best to be efficient and move things along.
Cindy Cleghorn
02:35:25
Keren — yes.
Asaad Alnajjar-PRNC
02:36:09
Yes Keren, exactly. Solve it before it jumps to level 2 without oral discsussions.
Tony Wilkinson
02:36:33
Thanks Keren. That is what Polyana Tony was hoping would at least be tried first.
Glenn Bailey
02:37:20
So much appreciated the two Information Sessions, including the opportunity to question and comment, that were held in December and January on the proposed Digital Media Policy.
Tony Wilkinson
02:38:30
Reading the 2 pages modified by AB 992, it seems to deal with *specific* matters before the Board, not broadly anything that might ever come before the body.
Glenn Bailey
02:38:57
Here is the AB 992 Brown Act amendments bill text, linked here: https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201920200AB992
John and Michele Hales
02:39:42
What is the procedure for an NC to vote on a proposed development?
Keren Waters-GHNNC
02:40:56
Thank you Raquel!
Tony Wilkinson
02:41:31
So LAST CHANCE to write the GM abt your thoughts
Reeyan Raynes
02:43:07
http://www.lancc.org/
Corinne Ho
02:43:30
Thanks Reeyan!
Asaad Alnajjar-PRNC
02:44:26
Thank you Raquel for a great job in a tough environment , your team is great and we all are here to support you.
Raquel Beltran (she/her/hers)
02:54:09
Thanks for all your comments.
Raquel Beltran (she/her/hers)
02:55:16
Oh! Should share that the Planning 101 mandatory training for LUC’s will be on Cornerstone by the end of March in English and Spanish. We are excited about this.
Ariel Jones
02:58:47
Comprehensive Fee Update: http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001N4ugJPvp3GvKziST5bwv74nh6G14vKoZzNKDAKjLBn86d5ly5KrkszwZq8b2TC8qk_pE6G67LM8RnRjDMXAwiXSZrbREGhTxPKFFG21ShTJeJ6n3mdNoubdrfPOXqtqcP5bOnIjCFRU4hly0BIkrSQrdXeP7TJGhN2zSiCbcQbpN5b35VzrPxDL5LMrom5LTanH1sMrj-UOaCYgYAdSEFh9D4bc8puijGndXTbuPJvdakm-qmBNn2q-fSOwW_HAT&c=Z1pYHYpLvfXrp3i9W4uzTG7Igeg2YV4C-gZ5OIy1Rc-ga5pEHYK2Fg==&ch=kQKPVvzBnnuv9UaP80-SPwHbzh_Tbx09fnaYjaeGf3fUV0nBR1jfIA==
Glenn Bailey
02:59:06
PlanCheckNC meeting on Saturday: Next PlanCheckNC Zoom Meeting —SAVE THE DATE: Saturday February 13, 2021 @ 10 a.m.Meeting Agenda for Saturday, February 13, 202110:00 a.m. – Welcome and Check-In10:05 a.m. — City Planning Department Updates + CPC Equity Day11:15 a.m. — PlanCheckNC Round Table +City & State Planning & Land Use Updates1:00 p.m. — Meeting concludesTopic: PlanCheckNC Zoom Meeting 2-13-21Time: February 13, 2021 10:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)Join Zoom Meetinghttps://us02web.zoom.us/j/87279383147Meeting ID: 872 7938 3147One tap mobile+16699009128,,87279383147# US (San Jose)Dial by your location+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)Meeting ID: 872 7938 3147Other Toll Free Numbers: 833-548-0276, 833-548-0282, 877-853-5257
Aaron M Quantz WHWCNC
03:00:13
WHWCNC WHIP Committee delving into this before the city steamroller
Ariel Jones
03:00:25
Revised Sign Ordinance: http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001N4ugJPvp3GvKziST5bwv74nh6G14vKoZzNKDAKjLBn86d5ly5Krks2lsvzlDINPMBM6EdsafqfzwalmKyf0AJn74Wgm169WcAC6Q900beNV3rin3HRZURs3Yqs1I6JvKGzf1D81Nz25Ps_d-H1fZOjA4Rn749ONK76zsCeuVVB5eVCoykXQqxYlDK0tCI_5Jn3t7dn3D4udcYW6i6cWocwbBFco-WLDCGbx6Tsqqa2zaAE7jqzxZHqG59sXMt6L-&c=Z1pYHYpLvfXrp3i9W4uzTG7Igeg2YV4C-gZ5OIy1Rc-ga5pEHYK2Fg==&ch=kQKPVvzBnnuv9UaP80-SPwHbzh_Tbx09fnaYjaeGf3fUV0nBR1jfIA==
Cindy Cleghorn
03:04:07
PlanCheckNC meeting this Saturday @ 10 A.M. PlanCheckNC Meeting isSaturday, February 13, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.Meeting Agenda for Saturday, February 13, 202110:00 a.m. - Welcome and Check-In10:05 a.m. -- City Planning Department Updates + CPC Equity Day11:15 a.m. -- PlanCheckNC Round Table +City & State Planning & Land Use Updates1:00 p.m. -- Meeting concludesTopic: PlanCheckNC Zoom Meeting 2-13-21Time: February 13, 2021 10:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)Join Zoom Meetinghttps://us02web.zoom.us/j/87279383147Meeting ID: 872 7938 3147One tap mobile+16699009128,,87279383147# US (San Jose)
Cindy Cleghorn
03:04:49
Sign up for PlanCheckNC Newsletter — Text PLANCHECKNC to 22828
Tony Wilkinson
03:05:25
Go to a land title company and ask for it.
Cindy Cleghorn
03:05:34
Visit PlanCheckNCLA.com website for more details. Thank you! Thank you to the City Planning Department for their outstanding community engagement !
Tony Wilkinson
03:05:55
Only city employees can see the recorded documents from the assessor in ZIMAS
David Balen - PRNC
03:06:54
Any local Title Company can give the information or call David Balen 818.943.7676
Tony Wilkinson
03:08:56
If "The peoples' Budget" can get traction with the Mayor, our Budget Advocates should have the same kind of access.
Cindy Cleghorn
03:09:17
Brian — How can the NCBAs stop special favors only in community improvement ? ;)
Tony Wilkinson
03:10:26
Along the line of Cindy's Q, we need to ask (and have Budget Adv ask) for transparency on City Council District 'slush funds'
Tony Wilkinson
03:10:52
for example, in CD 7, the Lopez Canyon LKand Fill fund use.
Tony Wilkinson
03:11:57
Every NC needs to send their Budget REPS to the BA meetings and have them report back
Cindy Cleghorn
03:12:15
Exactly Tony — thank you!
Cindy Cleghorn
03:12:54
Could the NCBAs hold roundtables via Zoom where we could engage the community more often ?
Tony Wilkinson
03:13:25
cindy's point abt Zoom ^^^^
Tony Wilkinson
03:14:28
Tony is happy to second
Cindy Cleghorn
03:14:37
Tonight we heard a great deal from the Commander as to the public safety we’ve expected will no longer exist. How will communities deal with this when crime is higher than ever ?
Asaad Alnajjar-PRNC
03:15:21
If zimas is not helping, then please try Navigate LA https://navigatela.lacity.org/navigatela/
Garry Fordyce
03:18:13
Cindy, perhaps its time to get the LAPD funding and staff restoration on the ballot. Secondly, do the same with Neighborhood Councils CIS demanding the same.
Glenn Bailey
03:18:33
Here is the link to the January 28 report on the West Valley Animal Shelter: https://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2020/20-1114_rpt_DAS_01-28-2021.pdf
Cindy Cleghorn
03:18:59
Specifically: No more Hope teams. What will replace that service ? Animal abuse officers. What process for those crimes will replace this. At a time when we are working to try and engage more stakeholders the doors are being closed and on top of it, we’re still in a pandemic.
Lisa Reeber (Winnetka NC)
03:19:12
I did not get your email, Michelle. Can you send it to lreeberwnc@gmail.com
Becky Leveque,PRNC
03:20:29
thank you for looking out for the animal population.
Brian Allen
03:21:00
Commander Hamilton, Is it true that the motors will be taken off the streets?
Tony Wilkinson
03:21:05
This is classic Valley Secession kind of budget issue. Valley gets the shaft. Downtown keeps the money.
Becky Leveque,PRNC
03:21:25
Ken great point. we need to be proactive.
John and Michele Hales
03:22:37
Thank you Ariel and others for answering my question about getting information about a current development.
Michelle Cornelius
03:23:12
Yes Lisa I will send it to you.
Commander Alan Hamilton
03:24:06
No motors are planned to be removed at this time from any of our deployment
Nina Royal
03:24:08
Holy smoke please vote to the amended motion re animals
Commander Alan Hamilton
03:25:39
There will not be a replacement for the HOPE Teams in the Valley. At this time they can not be funded under the current resources deployed for the Department.
Cindy Cleghorn
03:26:35
Thank you Commander. This is sad. I hope we can find a solution. Thank you for all you do.
Commander Alan Hamilton
03:28:11
I want to thank all of you for your support for our Department. It has not gone unnoticed. If there is anything our office can do to support you and your NCs please let me know.
Cindy Cleghorn
03:28:48
Thank you.
Cheri Derohanian
03:29:06
Thank you again for coming tonight
Corinne Ho
03:29:11
Be safe out there Commander! and thank you for keeping all of us safe under these difficult times!
Commander Alan Hamilton
03:29:27
Commander Alan Hamilton email - 27393@lapd.online
Jeff Mausner
03:29:33
Jeff@Mausnerlaw.com
Corinne Ho
03:29:49
Gratitude Jeff!
Glenn Bailey
03:31:21
Congress of Neighborhoods September 25th
Glenn Bailey
03:32:06
https://www.nccongressla.com/
Glenn Bailey
03:33:02
The Saturday, March 6th Congress Planning Committeemeeting will start at 1:30 p.m.
Tony Wilkinson
03:36:21
And to enhance the ONLINE experience, we will need funds for 2021. Interpreters, tech for exhibitors area, and so on.
Heath Kline
03:38:45
Cindy do you have a target funding $number you would like from each NC? (We have budget meeting next week)
Cindy Cleghorn
03:40:05
Heath — this is up to your NC but if every NC contributed $500 it would be great. But any amount is appreciated.
Cindy Cleghorn
03:40:28
Scott — can we draft something for next meeting ?
Glenn Bailey
03:40:43
Congress contributions typically range from $500 to $1,000 per NC, some give more, some give less. All NCs are given credit on the Congress website and in the program
Cheri Derohanian
03:41:03
Folks, this Sat 2/13/21, Museum of San Fernando Valley has a FREE Artist Lecture 3-5pm, visit our website:
Cheri Derohanian
03:41:39
MuseumofSFV.com
Cindy Cleghorn
03:44:50
I think what the Commander shared is shocking. I don’t think our neighbors know the magnitude of the losses we have and will have going forward.
Nina Royal
03:45:26
YES.....Support our police formally!!! Make the motion!!!
Nina Royal
03:45:57
YES!!!! Make a motion re the police!!!
Cindy Cleghorn
03:48:12
Yes!
Nina Royal
03:48:36
Yes!! ask all the NC’s in the Valley to also support VANC’s motion!!
Jeffrey Brown NoHo NC
03:49:33
Here some emails you can use for issues: Governor Gavin Newsom gavin@gavinnewsom.com,adam.schiff@congressnewsletter.net,KABC PR Email <pr@abc7.com>,LATIMES Pat <patt.morrison@latimes.com>,"Katlyn.Alapati@sfchronicle.com" <Katlyn.Alapati@sfchronicle.com>,"kalexander@sfchronicle.com" <kalexander@sfchronicle.com>,"eallday@sfchronicle.com" <eallday@sfchronicle.com>,"Vanessa.Arredondo@hearst.com" <Vanessa.Arredondo@hearst.com>,KCBS INVESTIGATION HOT LINE <Kcbstvinvestigations@cbs.com>,Kathryn Bos <Kathryn@bos.lacounty.gov>,Hilda Solis <secretaryhildalsolis@gmail.com>,"Sheila K. LA County Board of Supervisors" <sheila@bos.lacounty.gov
Jeffrey Brown NoHo NC
03:51:11
my email is: jeffreybrown814@gmail.com
Garry Fordyce
03:51:31
Thank You Scott
Jeffrey Brown NoHo NC
03:51:38
I am Jeffrey Brown NoHo NC Board Member
Corinne Ho
03:53:44
The VANC opposed any cuts to the LAPD budget and proposes instead that any cuts be made from non public safety funds. Any approved cuts to LAPD should be done to non Valley CDs due to disproportionately damage to the San Fernando Valley because of its large geographic area. Additionally, funding for social service programs should be done by placing a dedicated city tax for voter's approval. The San Fernando Valley is the size of Chicago in square miles and we are disproportionately underserved.
Nina Royal
03:53:53
Those tax should be temporary only and not go to 501c3’s
Corinne Ho
03:54:17
It should say 'Opposes'
Corinne Ho
03:54:21
not opposed
Corinne Ho
03:54:46
234 square miles. 232 square miles L.A
Commander Alan Hamilton
03:56:02
I will be here on Chat
Nina Royal
04:01:20
if anyone already submitted a council file opposes defunding the defunding should be able to vote however their council voted!
Corinne Ho
04:03:12
I'm going to correct it and send it to Glenn.
Commander Alan Hamilton
04:03:26
Thank you for the support everyone!
Cindy Cleghorn
04:03:31
Thank you all! Be safe and healthy!
Len Shaffer Tarzana
04:05:47
Thanks everyone for all that you do for our city. I have to leave now.
Tony Wilkinson
04:06:12
POLICE have NOT been vaccinated!!!!
Cheri Derohanian
04:06:46
I think Police should be next on the vaccination priority, along eith TEACHERS
Glenn Bailey
04:08:13
What is the website for the United Coalition to End Homelessness?
Rudy Melendez
04:08:43
Mismanagement of this city falls squarely on Eric Garcetti and the Los Angeles City Council
Tony Wilkinson
04:09:12
There is no CITY financial ability to build the housing. This is a STATE issue. They killed the only source of funds (the CRA) and took the money
Corinne Ho
04:11:16
Police Commission meetings every Tuesdays morning 9:30 am