Zoom Logo

Community Safety Meeting - Shared screen with speaker view
Vanessa Haight
35:31
Hi everyone! Thanks for being here.
Lisa Geehan
37:44
Hello-happy to be involved in this discussion.
Brandon Tice
37:47
hi everyone! I like the person-first language agreement.
Vanessa Haight
43:10
If I get your statement wrong in the notes, please let me know and I'll do my best to edit.
Cassie Garner
44:09
Here is a good resource: https://www.mpd150.com/
Cassie Garner
44:15
MPD150 is a community-based initiative challenging the narrative that police exist to protect and serve.
Katie Pilarski
47:04
Cars also racing down 15th street to/from 94.
Renee Allen
48:14
Hot rodders are an increased problem throughout the city
Lisa Geehan
48:54
My mike doesn't seem to be working correctly. I work at Catholic Charities on 17th and Chicago. There is an increase in predators trying to sell drugs to people experiencing homelessness. The bus stop is problematic. Increased trash and we clean up each day .
Brandon Tice
49:16
I live near 16th and Chicago Ave in the Old Town In Town co-op, and can second that litter is a big issue. Not necessarily a public safety issue, but it does make just walking through the neighborhood and enjoying it a challenge.
Stacy Lindahl
50:06
As a landlord in the area, we have experienced lots of property damage, gunfire, assaults and threats against our residents, tons of trash and needles, etc. Our residents are in great fear in their own homes.
Danelle Weintzweig
50:26
yes folks have been camping in the parking lot in the opportunity center, using our trash area as a bathroom, this corner is hard to navigate during business hours and after...
Patty Smith
51:29
People are also camping in the parking lot behind Buri Manor, also stealing from and sleeping in the community garden at Buri
Becca Thomas
52:12
I don't know details but there was a robbery last weekend at Segue on 11th as well
Stacy Lindahl
52:26
37th & Elliot, Also Chicago Ave. and Powderhorn Park area
Danelle Weintzweig
52:48
yes out of their minds on drugs or something, walking right up to me and or residents in our private courtyards asking for money, cigs, or just imposing themselves on the folks around them.
Renee Allen
54:36
Segue was not a robbery, it was a burglary. Used a crow bar to enter building and stole cash. Assigned to Sgt Stenerson. Has video
Lisa Geehan
55:37
Many people who have addiction challenges are using in several areas of the neighborhood and many end up at the bus stop to sit on the bench and pass out. Opportunity Center staff call ambulances often.
Carrie Kalweit
55:45
15th to 17th crazy crowds drugs, people passed out, all times of day and night. trash around Catholic Charities and all along 17th. I live on 10 ave between 16 and 17, catalytic convetor stolen last week and my car run into.
Julie Steller
57:15
II would add that the trash along Chicago and in the alley is really out of control.
Levi Dokken
01:00:25
I agree with Billy I this officers should live in the area they patrol.
Julie Steller
01:00:51
And I would add that having a neighborhood “beat cop
Julie Steller
01:01:03
Or foot patrol would make such a difference.
Levi Dokken
01:01:26
Yup
Julie Steller
01:01:42
That is how a police officers can develop relationships with the people who live in out neighborhood.
hamid
01:02:10
Chicago and Franklin is a busy place,
Levi Dokken
01:02:32
I have had similar issues with dogs coming up to my service dog.
Lisa Geehan
01:02:38
I remember several years ago we had two beat cops, who helped with issues that we are talking about this evening.
Brandon Tice
01:02:56
agreed that foot patrol and someone assigned to the neighborhood would help. It seems like we have some community members who would welcome more police presence if we felt like they were more connected to the community.
Brian Smoliak [he/him]
01:02:56
I would also add a little detail to the assault & robbery I experienced on the afternoon of Sept. 8 along 17th between Elliot Ave and Chicago Ave. The police took 60 minutes to respond in the middle of the afternoon. I have also had a hard time contacting Criminal Investigations to provide additional evidence. It seems like the system is not set up to facilitate communicaton
Julie Steller
01:02:59
Lisa, I remember that too. It was wonderful
Brandon Tice
01:03:38
I second the issue of not being able to walk in or out of my front door, due to people hanging out on the front step. Sometimes people are passed out on the front step, or in the entrance to our parking area.
hamid
01:04:56
we should a MALE neightborhood patrol once on Fridays.
Kelly Dillon
01:06:06
we've had instances of intimidation at Chicago Ave and Buri manor. Residents of these locations don't feel comfortable calling police because they feel they will be retaliated against by those causing harm, which has happened.
Renee Allen
01:06:17
Robbery on 9/8 CN is 20-233482.
Renee Allen
01:06:28
Sgt Grant Snyder
Julie Steller
01:06:39
How does Opportunity Center fit into the situation on Chicago ave? I have watch drug dealing right on the sidewalk when the center is open.
Cassie Garner
01:07:02
Hello! I would like to chime in for just one moment, when I may have the floor.
Renee Allen
01:07:06
Sorry. Grant Snyder is in relation to the encampment
Cassie Garner
01:10:06
I would like to address that the neighborhood coming together has been working well for other communities, ie: a neighborhood patrol. These experiences that are occurring in Elliot Park are occurring all across the city.
Jerry Dustrud
01:10:33
To: Renee ~ I only have the name SGT Grant who was going to contact me but hasn’t yet,,,,
hamid
01:10:38
neightborhood patrol is a great idea
Jamal
01:10:39
cassie--- I agree with you
Stacy Lindahl
01:10:40
sorry I had another call, had to step away.
Lisa Geehan
01:11:21
Julie-we do our best to manage what happens outside of our building. staff and our security guard ask people to move along or enter into our courtyard. We are frustrated as well. People say that they are waiting for the bus and there is nothing that we can do because it's public. Police presence is scarce in our precinct to help assist. The problem was much less of an issue when we had the beat cops.
Renee Allen
01:11:32
I answered above. former Sgt, now LT Grant Snyder
Jerry Dustrud
01:12:28
Thank You I’ll pursue that with MNdo
Jim Hirst
01:12:29
FRANKLIN STEELE IS NOT QUIET AND HARBORS ALOT OF PROBLEMS. DRUGS, LITTER, OVERTURNED TRASH CANS, OVERTURNED BIFFS, AND I'VE HAD CAMPERS ON MY YARD THREATENING ME.
Janelle Beenken
01:14:43
To Renee: How can residents get help for nonviolent crimes? The police will only respond to violent crimes and won't investigate non-violent crimes.
Renee Allen
01:14:43
Will we be able to get a copy of the notes?
Julie Steller
01:14:54
Lisa, thanks for responding
Vachel Hudson
01:15:07
Renee, Vanessa will be the one to ask that question.
Renee Allen
01:15:25
For Janelle What type of non violent crimes?
Jamal
01:15:29
Cassie- I m sorry that you had to go through this---we need to create a security firm.. run by the resident of neighborhood....
Janelle Beenken
01:15:59
stalking, invasion of privacy from my upstairs neighbor.
Renee Allen
01:17:25
Janelle Please email me at renee.allen@minneapolismn.gov to discuss
Vanessa Haight
01:17:28
Thank you all! I hope I adequately captured your concerns.
Cassie Garner
01:17:30
Thank you Jamal. Our city is really hurting right now, clearly as we can all see.
Danelle Weintzweig
01:19:53
the clients do not leave at 1pm they hang around and then move into our properties
hamid
01:27:30
thank you Jamal
Soren Poffenberger
01:28:12
Thank you councilman Osman. Appreciate hearing your voice in this meeting.
Vanessa Haight
01:29:05
Renee's email again: renee.allen@minneapolismn.gov
Vachel Hudson
01:29:16
renee.allen@minneapolismn.gov
Michael Dwyer
01:29:28
Council Member Osman & Ms. Allen, it sounds as though MPD is short staffed. Has the Council considered requesting support from Hennepin County Sheriff’s department?
Lisa Geehan
01:29:37
Danelle-Can we schedule a meeting to discuss these issues? It would be helpful if we could meet regularly.
Danelle Weintzweig
01:30:01
I would LOVE that, when and where?
Michael Dwyer
01:32:09
Renee, Please repeat your email address.
Cassie Garner
01:32:18
Thank you Renee!
Julie Steller
01:32:37
Thank you so much Renee!
Stacy Lindahl
01:32:39
We have been told that much of the area near 38/Chicago is a “no go zone” for police? Thank you Renee!
Soren Poffenberger
01:32:45
Thank you Renee. Your contact info will be helpful to share with my staff
Jim Hirst
01:33:07
My experience has been very positive working with Renee Allen. Thank you for your hard work in these challenging times.
Jerry Dustrud
01:33:19
Any plans for addressing the staffing deficiency for officers?
Lisa Geehan
01:33:37
Good to hear you again Renee!
Brandon Tice
01:36:40
I heard from one of the staff people at House of Charity that a new housing complex for people experiencing homelessness recently went up behind their building. That was some welcome good news. Are there more plans for increasing shelter spaces in the works?
Jim Hirst
01:37:33
President Cowgill--why is the encampment in Franklin Steele continuously over the limit that MPRB established for the permit holder? Why are there still tents next to the playground?
Cassie Garner
01:37:51
Is it possible to get needle boxes placed in the area? They are around East Phillips & I have seen a decrease of needles on the ground.
Abdi Mukhtar
01:38:35
Franklin Steele have 19 tents as of today and that is 6 tents less than the permitted tents number.
Jono Cowgill
01:39:32
For those who would like to connect on Park Board issues after this evening's meeting, you can reach me at jcowgill@minneapolisparks.org or 612-598-5157
Jim Hirst
01:39:36
According to MPRB the permitted amount is 15, and they are still next to the playground
Glen Johnson
01:42:08
I believe Jim is citing the Park Board website page on encampments which lists 15 tents are permitted. Is this an error?
Cassie Garner
01:42:32
That is a hot spot for dealing, has been for years. The city has not cared about Chicago & Franklin for a minute.
Abdi Mukhtar
01:44:31
Glen, yes, that is an error. Franklin Steele is permitted for 25 tents and it has 19 tents as of today. Thanks!
Cassie Garner
01:44:33
Prostitution occurs as well on Chicago & Franklin. I know this has been a common factor amongst the camps too.
Jim Hirst
01:45:44
So is it an error to assume proximity to amenities such as the playground is not applicable as well?
Jamal
01:47:02
are you joking? tax
Vachel Hudson
01:47:48
Tags, not tax (I believe), Jamal
Patti Wettlin
01:48:04
what about the tents that are not in the parks? or are permitted?
Levi Dokken
01:48:17
I think he’s saying tag
Lisa Geehan
01:48:36
I would like to have Metro Transit involved to revisit having the bus stop at Chicago and 17th. moved. They are hesitant to do this because it is has a high volume of ridership. It is not fair to residents who want to use this stop, but I believe residents aren't using the stop due to the negative activity.
Lisa Geehan
01:50:19
Danelle- I will give you a call the beginning of next week to schedule a meeting :)
Brian Smoliak [he/him]
01:50:27
I agree with Lisa that temporarily closing the 17th and Chicago bus stops could be part of a solution. There is a Southbound stop at 15th and Chicago and a Northbound stop at 14th and Chicago
Danelle Weintzweig
01:51:03
I would walk several blocks to avoid that stop...to take the bus.
Brandon Tice
01:51:20
I agree with Lisa that it would maybe be worth removing that bus stop. I ride the bus (or did so before COVID) and I wouldn't want to wait at that bus stop to catch the bus, even though it's the closest stop to where I live
Jim Hirst
01:51:22
I would add removing the bus shelter at 17th and Portland, You can keep the stop, but remove the bus shelter and move it to the stop at 15th and Portland in front of Madison Apartments which has more bus users
Jamal
01:52:32
yes sir...On point councilman
Brandon Tice
01:53:30
I also like the idea of beat police officers that are on foot being assigned to the neighborhood. that was something discussed earlier, and might be better than assigning Hennepin County sheriffs to come in for just a temporary basis and then leave.
Cassie Garner
01:53:45
Trash Solituon: Adapt a bin
Cassie Garner
01:53:47
http://www2.minneapolismn.gov/solid-waste/cleancity/WCMSP-213205
Brian Smoliak [he/him]
01:54:41
I would be willing to link arms with others to do a periodic trash clean up. A group of 5 might be a minimum. It's not so much about the litter, but about showing community and our care for the neighborhood
Jim Hirst
01:55:38
I'll join you Brian
Kelly Dillon
01:55:38
I think the community trash pick-up idea is great!
Danelle Weintzweig
01:55:41
just the shelter
Brandon Tice
01:56:35
I like the community trash pick up idea too. I'd be happy to participate in that.
Michael Dwyer
01:56:48
Like the idea, Brian. I’d also be willing to help with that. Just a presence on the street would demonstrate that Elliot Park is a community that sticks together.
Danelle Weintzweig
01:57:40
i would be down with trash pick up as well and could likely get some of my residents to participate as well.
Jerry Dustrud
01:57:42
It appears there is a serious budget problem to enable hiring of sufficient officers for us all to feel safer. I would support a temporary city tav to compensate for the shortfall.
Carrie Kalweit
02:01:12
would like to know how other neighborhoods are tackling these issues.
Patty Smith
02:01:48
Is there a way that DID can expand their territory to include Chicago ave to 17th?
Cassie Garner
02:02:01
I am wondering if anyone has looked into the Elliot Park Grocery on Chicago & 16th? It is another hotbed.
Michael Dwyer
02:02:35
I agree, Julie. You’re spot on. If we don’t get control of the safety problem soon, there will be no resources to solve the bigger problems.
Cassie Garner
02:02:40
It is not against the law to be high, it s only a crime to be in possesion
Levi Dokken
02:03:01
Speaking about large furniture. who do we contact about removal? there is a couch on E 14th between Portland and 5th Ave for over a week.
Carrie Kalweit
02:03:26
do we have a community police liaison? we had Luther Kruger
Mobey Moberg (she/her)
02:03:56
Patty, I also have wondered about Downtown Improvement District expanding to service our neighborhood
Renee Allen
02:04:18
Luther has been gone for 11 years. I took his place
Cassie Garner
02:04:38
Addicts are going to be addicts…that is the world we live in.
Renee Allen
02:05:02
311 for dumped items
Levi Dokken
02:05:20
thanks Renee
Jono Cowgill
02:05:47
I have to jump to another meeting. I so appreciate everyone's time and look forward to connecting with Elliot Park
Jono Cowgill
02:06:08
further on this issue as we work together for solutions.
Renee Allen
02:06:29
City Program for Adopt a trash container is a good program
Brian Smoliak [he/him]
02:07:11
Restoring budget to the Community Service Office program at MPD could be part of a solution
Brian Smoliak [he/him]
02:07:20
Community Service officer*
Patty Smith
02:09:25
COPE is not responding in person, I called them a couple of weeks ago for someone
Cassie Garner
02:10:03
Mobile Crisis Team
Cassie Garner
02:10:05
Mobile crisis teams(may choose to send police) Adults, 18 and older: COPE – 612-596-1223 Children, ages 17 and younger: Child Crisis– 612-348-2233 Crisis Text Line text MN to 741 741
Renee Allen
02:11:35
CSO program are the incubator to becoming sworn officers
Patty Smith
02:11:39
We had one on Chicago for a while a couple of years ago
Cassie Garner
02:11:45
The MPD150 site which I had listed in the beginning has many great resources.
Cassie Garner
02:11:46
https://www.mpd150.com/resources/
Danelle Weintzweig
02:13:46
how do we request it- can i request it now?
Danelle Weintzweig
02:14:07
sending the email now
Becca Thomas
02:14:10
Sorry if I missed it, but has Grant Snyder's contact been added to the chat?
Danelle Weintzweig
02:14:42
where do we want the camera?
Jerry Dustrud
02:14:52
To Jamal: a suggestion arose to advocate for police residency for getting to the relationship preference
Renee Allen
02:14:53
grant.snyder@minneapolismn.gov
Becca Thomas
02:15:40
I am not sure what the current capacity or response is but St Stephens also has an outreach team with some mental health response trained staff
Jim Hirst
02:17:15
Could we organize a daily or every other day group of volunteers to meet and pick up trash AND be eyes on the street to report criminal activity to MPD? This can be focused on problem areas first
Jamal Osman
02:17:49
Thank you all, looking forward connecting with you. Jamal.Osman@minneapolismn.gov
Michael Dwyer
02:18:02
Trash pick-up team — Mike Dwyer
Stacy Lindahl
02:18:28
great! Stacy.Lindahl@commonbond.org
Glen Johnson
02:18:48
I'm certainly interested in doing my solo trash pickup loops with others or more organized!
Stacy Lindahl
02:19:10
yes please!
Becca Thomas
02:19:23
Kim I'll be there!
Renee Allen
02:19:23
Picking up litter shows that people in the communiy cares. It is a basic CPTED principal (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design)
Cassie Garner
02:20:03
I would be happy to look into needle boxes for 17th & Chicago, Elliot Park, Franklin Steele & other spots anyone may think of.
Wendy Underwood
02:20:04
There are a lot of people interested in working on the bus stops; could that become a group, too?
Brian Smoliak [he/him]
02:20:06
Count me in for the regular clean-up & patrol too. I'll email info@elliotpark.org for some help coordinating
Jim Hirst
02:20:49
The group can also report graffiti for removal to 311 as well
Julie Steller
02:21:52
I will email Renee about how to get Community officer/beat cop presence in Elliot Park
Danelle Weintzweig
02:22:09
email for the camera is completed
Glen Johnson
02:22:10
Thank you, Julie!
Cassie Garner
02:22:13
I will look into needle boxes, can this be addressed?
Danelle Weintzweig
02:23:00
what is the connections?
Cassie Garner
02:23:07
Thank you Becca & Glenn
Patty Smith
02:23:51
I will work on the Chicago connections
Julie Steller
02:24:06
I would like to be a part of the 17th/15th connections
Lisa Geehan
02:24:17
I will work on the Chicago Connections as well.
Danelle Weintzweig
02:24:19
i would also like to be on the connections group and will help with clean ups
Brian Smoliak [he/him]
02:24:34
Kudos to all of you who showed up this evening. I hear a lot of love for our neighborhood, our city, and our fellow humans
Cassie Garner
02:24:37
Is the a member of the Somali Community that can help gather members from the community we may not have a better routed connection to help address the issues we have chatted about?
Millie Schafer
02:24:43
I want to agree with Jerry to increase the police dept
Wendy Underwood
02:24:59
I agree with Glen - the bus stop work would fit great with the Chicago Connections focus.
Stacy Lindahl
02:25:19
Please email connections info as well, I manage buildings all throughout S Mpls, and will share with my teams as well.
Renee Allen
02:25:42
Connect with the Elders
Cassie Garner
02:26:06
Renee, do you have any elders contact?
Vanessa Haight
02:26:15
Do we want another meeting?
Julie Steller
02:26:22
How will we follow up?
Kelly Dillon
02:26:31
yes
Cassie Garner
02:26:42
Yes.
Jim Hirst
02:26:55
We need more safety meetings like we used to regular sponsor
Vachel Hudson
02:27:10
come to the next BLUH meeting! 😃
Renee Allen
02:27:22
I have connections in Cedar Riverside but not in Elliot Park. This is best by having converstions with neighbors
Abdi Mukhtar
02:27:26
I also think reaching out to the local businesses and informing them about these efforts will be very helpful. A lot of the small businesses are struggling as well and they don't know how to address some of these current issues.
Mobey Moberg (she/her)
02:27:52
I want to be part of the Chicago/15th-17th connections group, and the regular litter-patrol group
Julie Steller
02:28:32
Abdi, I think this is a great idea. We have a childcare, restaurant and convince shop all right in the middle of this concerned area on Chicago av
Glen Johnson
02:28:34
October 15th at 6pm for our upcoming BLUH meeting
Jim Hirst
02:28:38
I believe we need a designated safety committee meeting within EPNI. BLUH is not the appropriate venue to host these discussions as they have other duties
Jim Hirst
02:29:21
3 weeks at the most for the next meeting
Julie Steller
02:29:39
Sooner rather than later
Abdi Mukhtar
02:29:56
Make the meeting consistence. The 3rd Thursday of every month. Same time.
Patty Smith
02:30:09
Agree we should keep the momentum within next month
Renee Allen
02:30:12
Perhaps invite both an LT and Inspector Peterson to the next meeting
Stacy Lindahl
02:30:29
agreed, sooner than later
Julie Steller
02:30:52
thanks to epni board and staff for working with us on these important issues.
Cassie Garner
02:31:25
Thank you to tonights moderators & note takers.
Carrie Kalweit
02:31:29
will this chat info be saved so can go back info?
Danelle Weintzweig
02:31:35
will we be getting these action items emailed or how do we get these notes?
Glen Johnson
02:31:38
We want to connect the neighborhood and get these discussions on concerns AND solutions. Thank you to everyone participating
Stacy Lindahl
02:31:40
Thank you so much to all! So appreciative of these efforts!
Wendy Underwood
02:31:53
Thank you, everyone!! Really appreciate the conversation and energy for next steps.
Vanessa Haight
02:32:08
We'll work on some notes.
Renee Allen
02:32:08
Park PD and Transit should be invited as well
Millie Schafer
02:32:10
Thank you Julie!
Kelly Dillon
02:32:19
thank you!
Danelle Weintzweig
02:32:49
THANK YOU!!!! dweintzweig@aeon.org
Venus Tomlinson
02:33:17
Thank you everyone.
Halima Ahmed
02:33:21
Thank you!
Patty Smith
02:33:33
Thanks!