Zoom Logo

Los Angeles Neighborhood Council Coalition (LANCC) - Shared screen with speaker view
Glenn Bailey
20:39
This Planning Department slide show will be posted as a PDF on the LANCC Meetings webpage once we receive it. Check tomorrow morning....
Jennifer Goodie
23:53
This was a great update.
Glenn Bailey
31:01
PlanCheckNC meetings are held the SECOND Saturdays at 10 am currently virtually via Zoom. Check out their website: https://plancheckncla.com/
Tony Wilkinson
37:01
No room for EVs in any of the new TOC housing! The ivory tower ppl think rich market rate housing people will give up their Eurocars.
David Uebersax
37:03
They incent transit ridership by worsening gridlock, of course...
Tony Wilkinson
38:45
David, no matter what they do, transit ridership keeps dropping. Rider safety is the current add-on barrier to ridership.
Mark Dutton
39:17
Thank you Terrence!
Liz Amsden
40:36
The problem is that road diets exacerbate emissions with everyone stuck behind buses and delivery trucks in the one lane. Road diets are the problem, not low-emission vehicles
cindy cleghorn
40:38
PlanCheckNC meeting next Saturday Oct 8 topic: Metro TCN Ordinancepresented by the L.A. City Planning Department Code Studies Team:Terri Osborne, Hagu Solomon-Cary, and Andrew Pennington
Tony Wilkinson
41:08
Probably 2/3 of transit riders use transit multiple times a week. They are transit dependent ppl such as in my NE Valley community. Vehicles are a reality of our city, and planning is not going to be able to turn us into NYC by ordinance.
Jennifer Goodie
41:24
The way the Department has tried to gaslight NCs over this CIS outage not being a real issue is very disturbing.
cindy cleghorn
41:37
Thank you Jamie ! Good to see you here.
David Uebersax
41:53
Go figure?
Terrence Gomes Chair SORO NC
42:31
v
Terrence Gomes Chair SORO NC
42:40
https://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2022/22-1146_mot_9-30-22.pdf
Jennifer Goodie
43:59
The fact that the Dept keeps insisting on only looking at this fiscal year when reporting is laughable -- the issue was pointed out in August
Glenn Bailey
46:25
Again, it is Council File 22-1146
Lionel Mares
46:39
We should all work together on these issues.
Lionel Mares
46:46
Solidarity
Katherine McNenny
48:11
Scandalous - DONE is so busy micro managing the NCs they are not focusing on their core duties, making sure the CISs are filed properly.
Jennifer Goodie
48:32
@Katherine - exactly!
Jennifer Goodie
49:31
and they are trying to shirk responsibility by claiming it was a funding issue, but they didn't need money to fix what was broken, and trying to minimize by looking at a subset of the data
Lionel Mares
51:06
“DONE” doesn’t help out! I requested help. NONE!
Lionel Mares
51:13
I am alone. 🥹
Lionel Mares
51:26
No one listens to me.
Lionel Mares
51:50
I reached out to other neighborhood councils. No support!
Lionel Mares
51:52
Uh!
Jamie York
51:54
We got an email from Tom stating that everything submitted after July 1 was correct and we had two submitted on July 19th I believe that went to the wrong place. So even that email was wrong.
Tony Wilkinson
52:07
YES Cindy! The city (which sadly includes DONE) just wants us to file a CIS and let it be ignored. DONE should be affirmatively advocating for NCs to *ALWAYS* send CIS resolutions to key STAFF of all the involved elected officials, certainly at least your own Councilmember.
Jennifer Goodie
52:30
Tom is on vacation for, I think, 2 weeks, btw
Tony Wilkinson
53:37
Despite all the pilin-on over this issue, I personally appreciated Thomas Soong's detailed message explaining just what the problem was. It was circulated widely and represented a good step in transparency.
Jamie York
53:46
Tom wants to have a meeting with my nc president bc I asserted his email was factually correct and I’m not invited to that meeting for some reason despite being the person who discovered the issue.
Tony Wilkinson
53:49
piling-on
Jennifer Goodie
54:21
Tony, the email wasn't the full truth though. It was an exercise in gaslighting and ass covering, not transparency
Jamie York
54:39
Tony he waited weeks to send anything. Ncs sent things to commissions that were wrong after the issue was discovered
Lionel Mares
55:05
Jeez!
Lionel Mares
55:17
Too much problems at NC’s and DONE
Jamie York
55:23
Same thing has happened at animal services and ethics. Re the time
Glenn Bailey
56:50
DONE is only looking at CIS filed during 2022...
Tony Wilkinson
57:05
Jamie, that is another issue I have with the current approach of DONE to NCs. There seems to be an effort to turn Presidents and Board Chairs into corporation chief executives, with the implication they are IN CHARGE OF the NC. In practice, they are equal to all other Board members to whom we are indebted for their willingness to spend extra volunteer time to make our councils work better. I think DONE should be communicating with BOARDS, not juts the Presidents.
Lionel Mares
59:11
Damn! What a statement!
Lionel Mares
01:00:28
I think we need Reformers at City of Los Angeles and at Department of Neighborhood Empowerment (DONE).I am a Reformer. I want to work at DONE, to bring meaningful changes. I can do this. I am ethical. Thanks!
Lionel Mares
01:00:54
I want people to take me seriously.
Jennifer Goodie
01:01:00
I just put a PDF of the bulk of the email thread with Tom in chat. There were some side emails that are not included.
Lionel Mares
01:02:13
What Agenda Item are we on???
Lionel Mares
01:02:19
Item 5?
Terrence Gomes Chair SORO NC
01:02:40
We are on Item 6.
Jennifer Goodie
01:02:46
I think it is also important to point out that most of the CISes filed are by a handful of NCs and the bulk of NCs file 0-5
Mark Dutton
01:03:11
Thank you Lydia👏👏
Lionel Mares
01:03:19
Did we pass Item 5?
Terrence Gomes Chair SORO NC
01:04:05
We moved to 6 because of this pressing issue.
Lionel Mares
01:04:33
I am disappointed! Not all neighborhood councils do a good job of communicating and community outreach. I am the only one who does this on my own. My neighbors are not aware of neighborhood councils exist.
Lionel Mares
01:04:37
Thanks Terrance!
Glenn Bailey
01:05:43
@Lionel: No we have not discussed the intensity report listed on agenda item 5.
Tony Wilkinson
01:06:13
"These are your metrics" is passing on the Mantra of the Mayor, who is the person who decided that CIS filing were *HIS* metric. In fact (1) the statements should also be going to elected council STAFF, as I noted above, and DONE should be pointing that out to Ncs, and (2) we would get MUCH more traction if we influenced 12 "members of the public" [including ourselves, as individuals] to submit comments to the same issue through the exact same CIS system. They will NOTICE 12 public inputs just as much or more than ine CIS filing from our NC.
Mark Dutton
01:08:45
YES!
Jamie York
01:11:36
https://www.dailynews.com/2022/09/30/las-neighborhood-council-leaders-urge-tougher-ethics-laws-at-city-hall/
Lionel Mares
01:12:02
Community Impact Statement Portal / Transmissions / City Commissions / Issue and Preventionhttps://cityclerk.lacity.org/lacityclerkconnect/index.cfm?fa=ccfi.viewrecord&cfnumber=22-1146
Lionel Mares
01:12:05
😀
Lionel Mares
01:13:08
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OXNf9B192aQ
Lionel Mares
01:13:19
LA’s Neighborhood Council leaders urge tougher ethics laws at City Hall
Lionel Mares
01:13:26
Check out the video
Jennifer Goodie
01:14:12
https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/los_angeles/latest/laac/0-0-0-67437
Jennifer Goodie
01:14:35
Admin code has shalls
Jennifer Goodie
01:15:18
(b) Board and Commission Meetings. The agenda for each City Board or Commission meeting shall contain an agenda item for a Neighborhood Council representative to provide the Neighborhood Council's formal position on any matter listed on the agenda for that Board or Commission meeting. The Neighborhood Council representative shall provide the Board or Commission with a copy of the Neighborhood Council's Resolution or Community Impact Statement. The agenda item for the Neighborhood Council's formal position should be listed on the agenda in an order that ensures prompt consideration of the Neighborhood Council position and should be listed separately from general public comment. In the chair's discretion at the City Board or Commission meeting, the Neighborhood Council representative may be asked to have a seat at the table typically reserved for City staff and may provide the Neighborhood Council representative more comment time than allotted to members of the general public.
Jennifer Goodie
01:16:25
We need a Department and a Commission that are going to fight for NCs, not look for excuses to shut them up.
Jamie York
01:16:27
r council file 15-0389 which state "The Presiding Officer of the City Council, or the Chair of a Council Committee, shall provide an opportunity for duly authorized members of a Certified Neighborhood Council board in the City of Los Angeles, to address the City Council or Council Committee on matters for which a Community Impact Statement has been submitted and posted to the Council File currently under consideration. This opportunity will allow Certified Neighborhood Councils to elaborate on issues raised in filed Community Impact Statements, on behalf of that particular Neighborhood Council, in a manner consistent with opportunities provided to City departments or commission officials."
Jennifer Goodie
01:19:43
Animal Services Commission is an example of a Commission that does not handle CISes well. I witnessed them muting Jamie in the middle of Reseda's CIS time because they didn't like what she was saying.
Doug Epperhart
01:20:05
Perhaps LANCC should rate each of the city's commissions (and city council) on how receptive they are to NC comments.
Tony Wilkinson
01:20:40
Agree with Glenn. Ordinance needs to be amended to remove agenda item as a requirement to speak and include any matter within the body's jurisdiction.
Laura Meyers
01:21:55
Sorry, can you provide a sample agenda item for our NCs to consider this item HERE? I would needthe language within an hour or so to get on the uNNC agenda
Jamie York
01:22:22
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17XEG_4yW9D03mi9Ad0NXJsvUD2HdpT9c/view?usp=drivesdk
Jennifer Goodie
01:23:21
The Reseda CIS is a good stepping off point, Michelle G did a great job on it
David Uebersax
01:24:37
Doug....it occurred to me during Congress that in a perfect LANCC, we would have 'whips', designated SPOC's for various Boards and Commissions to whip up CIS's and associated live testimony....
Tony Wilkinson
01:26:58
Laura, I think you need to decide what you want to do. That is what we have deferred to another day. Problems include the DONE-managed Board and Commission system, uneven reception in bodies to NCs using their CIS submission to present information, the ability to present an NC position within the body's jurisdiction, versus current requirement that the topic must be a curent agenda item. If you just want to bash the Department, that is also a possible topic for a resolution, although personally I prefer to make constructive comments about how to FIX problems.
Jamie York
01:31:45
Also our funding
Glenn Bailey
01:43:43
Here is the link to the Planning Department slide show that was presented earlier this morning (it is now posted on the LANCC Meetings webpage): http://www.lancc.org/resources/LA%20City%20Planning%20Department%20report%202022.10.01.pdf
Len Shaffer
01:45:39
Re CF 15-0389: it was formalized as an ordinance, 178,243 which is the administrative code section 22.819 adopted in June of 2016. Unfortunately the ordinance did not incorporate the stronger language of the original CF as proposed by then council president Wesson.
Tony Wilkinson
01:48:16
Address the CIS on DONE issues to BONC, and send a copy to STAFF of your local Councilmember, plus Pres. Nury Martinez (her Chief of Staff is Alexis Wesson, I think).
Liz Amsden
01:48:37
Motion for the NCs to take the Report on the first survey to all committees, general public CF (to some), to agendize adding to discussion to the next BONC meeting and to the City Council
Laura Meyers
01:49:09
Thanks, Tony. I am now the immediate past president of UNNC, so while I can ask to place something on the agenda (by deadline), and may have an influential voice....I can't "decide" what to do with it. I was asking for a generic agenda item, if possible. UNNC appears to have had some glitches (e.g., CISs filed but lost in the ether) but recently have had no trouble filing to the Planning Commission.
Jennifer Goodie
01:49:37
BONC has made it pretty clear they think the NCs are just whiny entitled babies
Jamie York
01:49:40
https://cityclerk.lacity.org/lacityclerkconnect/index.cfm?fa=ccfi.viewrecord&cfnumber=22-1111-S1
Jamie York
01:49:49
Here is the general public comment file for aphen
Tony Wilkinson
01:50:17
YES Lydia. The more CM John Lee sees about NCs, the more attention he will pay to our issues and concerns.
Liz Amsden
01:52:53
Motion for the NCs to take the Report on the first survey to all committees including John Lee at APHEN, and to the general public CF 22-1111-S1 for BONC and to the City Council to agendize it at their next meetings, with a copy to all appropriate Council District staff.
Sharon Brewer
01:52:58
If BONC really cared what the attendees had to say at their meetings, those comments would be listed in the minutes for each meeting!
Glenn Bailey
01:53:31
MLO = Municipal Lobbying Ordinance
Tony Wilkinson
01:54:23
The land use people, at least, are now making sure to identify themselves as lobbyists. I am still waiting for the paid reps for organizations life Food and Water Watch to do the same.
Jamie York
01:55:39
Well tony city council hasn’t yet agendized the mlo. And there are still land use people in other nc meetings who are not identifying themselves. So your experience is not everyone’s experience
cindy cleghorn
01:55:52
Why only one ?
Jamie York
01:57:20
Additionally there are carve outs regarding non profits. I address those in the amendments I ask for. I would encourage your nc to agendize the mlo. My draft actually addresses the non profit issue.
Tony Wilkinson
01:57:57
Thanks Jamie. I'll take another look at that.
Glenn Bailey
01:59:30
Yes, but recall that at that time the appointment to the South Valley BONC Commissioner position was to replace Al Abrams who had to resign due to charges of possession of child pornography.
Jamie York
02:00:01
Sharon is our voting member
Jamie York
02:00:04
For reseda
Jennifer Goodie
02:00:24
I think the latest BONC commissioner apparently having no NC experience or interaction prior to appointment is problematic too
Jennifer Goodie
02:01:25
On the subject of BONC appointments
Raquel Beltran
02:01:58
Hi everyone, I have to leave for another meeting. Some updates are: our workshops on labor relations and dealing with difficult people, and empowering the chairs/presidents was well attended. A second labor relations/dealing with difficult people will be scheduled on Oct. The civic U series
Raquel Beltran
02:02:10
starts 10/6.
Terrence Gomes Chair SORO NC
02:02:44
Thank you. Will see you next month.
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:06:32
As long as we are in limbo, I recommend that the NC resolution SPEFICY the Budget Advocates organization. That should create a fiduciary duty to hold the money for that purpose. The "advocacy" issue, to me, is only permissive for DONE if there is not a clear and specific earmark.
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:06:44
SPECIFY
Glenn Bailey
02:08:31
Speaking of NC Budget Day, please save the date for 2023 event: Saturday, June 17, 2023, placeholder times 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Stay tuned for further updates.
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:08:31
The name and definition of the fund itself should only forbid its use for unrelated purposes, such as street improvements.
Raquel Beltran
02:09:08
We have a list of at least 1 person per region to be recorded for promotional videos for the upcoming election. The EVG-h workgroup has a report ready to present to the workgroup re: piloting hybrid NC meetings. AB2449 was signed by the Governor. It substantially modifies the Brown Act relative to the hybrid meetings. We are scheduling a meeting with the treasurers of the NC Budget Advocates and Congress to discuss CF 11-1020s3. See you next month.
Len Shaffer
02:11:02
No reports other than BONC's next meeting will be October 17th 1:00 PM. I do have to leave for another appointment. I will recommend that the CF issue be on the next agenda. Keep up the good work and thanks for your continued public engagement.
David Uebersax
02:11:23
Thanks Len
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:11:30
Thank you for the AB2449 and CF 11-1020-S3 references. Thank you for being with us despite all the angst today.
Glenn Bailey
02:14:20
Budget Advocacy versus Advocates Council File 11-1020-S3
Jennifer Goodie
02:14:55
The constant refrain from DONE is actually that Congress is different than NCBA because Congress is a DONE program that is implemented by a planning committee
Lionel Mares
02:17:50
I agree!
Jamie York
02:18:16
Thats what I’m trying to do with the mlo!
Jamie York
02:18:18
https://cityclerk.lacity.org/lacityclerkconnect/index.cfm?fa=ccfi.viewrecord&cfnumber=22-0560
Lionel Mares
02:18:22
I wish all neighborhood councils will be proactive and progressive on many issues. Mines is not act active as some others.
Jamie York
02:18:29
If you have filed or agendized please consider!
Liz Amsden
02:22:03
Lionel and others, write a brief opinion on issues that concern you - preferably ones for which you can find a Council File # and ask your NC to put it on the agenda. Start small and make changes incrementally.
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:23:34
Surprise announcement by the Congress Planning Committee chair. I won't be going to the in-person meeting either. 80 and overweight and cautious.
David Uebersax
02:23:49
There were some unfortunate technical issues...from the first opening session. They delay in restarting and setting audio made the next sessions either late, or attendees had to join in progress
Jennifer Goodie
02:23:57
Good point, Sharon
Glenn Bailey
02:29:23
Congress Planning Committee meeting details: Congress Planning Committee (debrief meeting)Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 1:30-3:30pmIn-person at Las Cazuelas in Highland Park5707 N Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90042 (1 block from Metro L (Gold) Line)Lunch to be subsidized $15 per person.RSVP required
Jamie York
02:30:00
Seriously? We can’t meet in person but this is happening?
David Uebersax
02:30:30
Also, I prefer pdf to Canva catalog
Sharon Brewer
02:30:31
Unacceptable answer that in person meeting was decided at Executive Committee meeting? Why wasn't it voted on at a regular Congress Planning meeting? How many people on Executive Committee?
Jennifer Goodie
02:33:20
Maybe the new one will be more useful and not go into things that don't really apply to NCs like do not enter orders and filming people at in person meetings
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:34:24
Sharon, but that point the number of ppl on exec and who CAME to planning were abt the same. The problem with not enough total volunteers that in referenced in my verbal comments.
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:35:10
I though the entire DONE outfit considers ALL of us "problem children"...
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:35:16
thought
Glenn Bailey
02:36:10
@Sharon: I believe there are seven members of the Congress Executive Subcommittee. Miran is one of them, and he is in attendance at this meeting, so you could ask him.
Jennifer Goodie
02:36:44
Re the GM report that a meeting is being scheduled with the NCBA treasurer about 11-1020-S3, that's news to me.
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:36:58
Ayelet Feiman (spelling?) is a GOOD PERSON. She was my Neighborhood Prosecutor for years. I wouldn't blame her for recent atty actions.
Jamie York
02:37:30
I couldn’t attend and I asked them to record prior to the meeting occurring so lol that the recording got messed up
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:38:57
We may not be EMPLOYEES, but we have always known that we (jointly, as a Board) are responsible for maintaining a "safe workplace". Volunteer workers are still in a workplace, and they deserve emotional and physical safety in that environment.
Glenn Bailey
02:43:33
Yes, many NCs are "visited" by Goat Puppet aka Wayne Spindler....
cindy cleghorn
02:44:44
Submit to the city at this 24/7 WVN — ctat@lacity.org
Jennifer Goodie
02:46:10
BONC meeting calendar https://empowerla.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/Commission-Meeting-Schedule-12.2.21.docx.pdf
Sharon Brewer
02:46:30
Congress debriefing in person meeting is intentionally leaving out those people who do not feel comfortable going to in person meeting which is why NCs cannot have in person meetings. Obviously in my opinion those people on the Executive Committee do not care about other people's concerns.
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:46:38
Agree that *WE* (NC members) need to advocate for online meetings state rules for advisory bodies. City does not appear to want to do it.
Glenn Bailey
02:47:20
Here is a link to previous news articles mentioning Wayne Spindler (aka Goat Puppet): https://lasentinel.net/tag/wayne-spindler
Jamie York
02:48:02
Very cool about the Narcan training
Jamie York
02:48:28
https://www.dailynews.com/2022/09/30/las-neighborhood-council-leaders-urge-tougher-ethics-laws-at-city-hall/
Laura Meyers
02:48:42
By the way, Mr. Spindler attended a UNNC committee meeting and was perfectly polite.
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:48:44
Hybrid meetings will kill online meetings because of technical cost and complexity, especially audio. Think we should be able to do EITHER, at the NC option, although I would also prefer to do online forever because it empower so many more people to attend.\
Jamie York
02:49:37
How lucky for you laura he comes to ours and calls people c*nts and use the n word.
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:50:11
I think LAHSA changed their methods and it went terribly wrong. Big undercount.
Laura Meyers
02:50:32
Yes, I know -- I go to plenty of public meetings, ditto. But perhaps since we run the committees in the meeting format, very collaboratively, there was nothing for him to perform about?
Liz Amsden
02:50:40
Agree with Tony. Online meetings allow MORE participation. State rules i.e. the Brown Act were promulgated before I was born. Before smart phones, before personal computers, before Covid. Since the pandemic people have MORE need of Zoom meetings for health reasons, child care, dangers of traveling after dark, etc., etc.
David Uebersax
02:50:46
Tony...there were some interesting things I learned from my (LAUSD Teacher) wife's classroom solutions that could apply, but tech savvy may differ by NC's, so DONE would lower all boats.
Jennifer Goodie
02:51:02
Jamie, according to the workshop on difficult people you should just be able to scare him into behaving by recording him
Jennifer Goodie
02:51:13
so keep that in mind at your next meeting
Jamie York
02:51:25
Lololol
Liz Amsden
02:51:48
Sometimes ignoring people is the best policy.
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:51:57
LAHSA, a joint powers entity in which neither city nor county has responsibility, has never been a strong organizational way to handle a problem as b ig as homelessness.
Jamie York
02:52:07
I’ll keep that in mind next time he sends me an unhinged email after attempting to accost me in person at city hall
Lionel Mares
02:53:50
CicLAvia - Heart of LAhttps://www.ciclavia.org/heart_of_la22
Liz Amsden
02:53:52
And there are a lot of couch surfers that were not counted as homeless even though they are. And they and a number of other homeless people often hold jobs, sometimes two or three but can't afford housing under current rules.
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:54:40
The core meeting issue is that current (ancient, as Liz says) state law requires any and all 'remote' locations (like your home) to be publicly and ADA accessible. Is insane that an advisory agency that is supposed to encourage CIVIV PARTICIPATION should be forced to meet in person.
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:54:53
CIVIC
Tony Wilk (Panorama City)
02:56:37
First Saturday of every month, 8:30 am, online. NC-DWP MOU meetings on everything water and power. Always link at this site (save the chat!)
David Uebersax
02:58:14
And you didn't rudely say to hell with LANCC like Jack did last month!
David Uebersax
02:59:17
Maybe Wayne can zoom bomb at 9:55...
David Uebersax
02:59:31
Again?
Phyllis Ling (HCNNC, not voting)
03:00:26
I forgot to mention ... the Ciclavia next week will go over the 6th Street Bridge. Arts District and Boyle Heights.