The future of the Western Balkans will shape the future of Europe. But during the pandemic, actors with competing values and principles have actively pursued their own agendas in the region. Have Europe and the West missed an opportunity to bring the Western Balkans closer?
Is there political will in Europe for effective strategic engagement with the region? And how can the region, with the rest of Europe, renew momentum for Euro-Atlantic integration – in the face of the influence and interests of other global players?
As the pandemic's horizon comes into view, we invite you to join the latest episode in our “Future Perfect” series. The British Embassy Ljubljana and Centre for European Perspective will host a discussion with leading British, Slovene and regional experts to explore potential paths for the Western Balkans – and what this means for the future of Europe.
- Opening address by Tiffany Sadler, Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Republic of Slovenia
- Matt Baugh, Director, Political & Security at the UK Mission to the EU in Brussels
- Peter Grk, National Coordinator for the Western Balkans, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Slovenia
- Zoran Nechev, Head of the Center for European Integration, Institute for Democracy/Senior Researcher, Member of BiEPAG
- Moderated by Ambassador Iztok Mirošič, BSF Programme Director.
This will be the fourth event in the British Embassy Ljubljana’s #FuturePerfectSeries, which convenes experts to ask big questions about our post-COVID future. For more about the series, follow the British Embassy on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram (@ukinslovenia).