Tune in to learn about the importance of using the Risk Approach when it comes to the protection of women and men human rights defenders (W/HRDs*) as well as why we need minimum standards when doing so. In 2020, Protection International hosted a consultation process with UN agencies, NGOs, protection mechanisms, and practitioners from around the globe to write 20+ recommendations for these standards, and on January 27th we will launch the results. Participate in our kick-off event which aims to change the way we approach W/HRD protection for the better.
The launch event will include the following speakers:
- Joel Hernández García, President, Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR)
-Brian Dooley, Senior Advisor to the UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders
- Luciana Peri, Coordinator of the European Union Temporary Relocation Platform (EUTRP) and the “Shelter Initiatives” programme, Secretariat of ProtectDefenders.eu
- Magda Adamowicz, Program Officer, Human Rights Initiative, Open Society Foundations
- Ricardo Neves, Human Rights Officer, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights in Honduras
- Paola Pacheco Ruíz, Coordinator of Comprehensive Accompaniment to Human Rights Defenders and Migrants of the Scalabrinianas Mission with Migrants and Refugees, Espacio OSC Mexico
- Islam Al-Khatib, Project Officer, WHRD MENA Coalition
- Salome Nduta, Director of Programs, Defenders Coalition (Participating independently)
- Jorge Ruiz del Angel, Director General for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders and Journalists, Mechanism for the Protection of Human Rights Defenders and Journalists, SEGOB Mexico
Moderated by: Luis Enrique Eguren & Meredith Veit, Protection International
*W/HRDs – the term is understood as encompassing many different identities and therefore inclusive of LGBTI persons; this term may refer to an individual defender, a group of defenders, an organization, or a community.