In this webinar, guest speaker Professor John Clarkson, Director of the Cambridge Engineering Design Centre and Co-Chair of Cambridge Public Health, will explain how systems thinking from engineering can be applied to almost any complex challenge, and discuss specific outcomes from his work on the Royal Academy of Engineering project ‘Engineering Better Care’.
John will discuss how the project helped to identify and shape better outcomes in health and social care, as well as how the approach can be used by policy makers and industry professionals.
- Discover how the project and resulting ‘Improving Improvement’ toolkit supports service design and continuous improvement.
- Explore questions that will help you to address your complex challenges through a different lens.
- Find out how the toolkit helps bring clarity to areas including assessing risk, inspiring better design and managing improvement.
- Leave with a short template of questions that you can use to start thinking about the challenges you face by taking a systems approach.
Who should attend?
- Healthcare professionals wanting to find out more about Engineering Better Care and understand how this approach can help to develop systems that meet the needs of patients, carers and NHS staff.
- Policy makers and industry professionals wanting to find a different way of approaching challenges, learning from an expert in systems thinking.
About this webinar
IfM draws on knowledge and expertise from both within our institution and through our networks across the University of Cambridge and beyond. Professor John Clarkson is a frequent IfM collaborator, working with us on a range of projects over many years, and we are pleased to present this insightful session as part of our IfM Focus on Healthcare webinar series.