Presented By: Champaign-Urbana attorney Lorna Geiler, shareholder at Meyer Capel
For employers with more than 100 employees, unvaccinated employees must begin wearing masks by December 5, 2021, and undergo weekly COVID-19 tests, beginning January 4, 2022, under the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA’s) highly anticipated Emergency Temporary Standard (https://public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2021-23643.pdf). The standard applies to businesses with at least 100 employees companywide.
The White House announced (https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2021/11/04/fact-sheet-biden-administration-announces-details-of-two-major-vaccination-policies/) the following details about the ETS:
• All unvaccinated workers must begin wearing masks by December 5 and provide a negative COVID-19 test on a weekly basis beginning January 4.
• Employers must pay employees for the time it takes to get vaccinated and recover from any side effects that prevent them from working.
• Companies are not required to pay for or provide the tests unless they are otherwise required to by state or local laws or in labor union contracts.
• The OSHA ETS reaffirms that employers must provide reasonable accommodations.
• Employers are required to have a written vaccination policy.
• There are exceptions to the OSHA ETS for certain categories of employees.
This session will include a presentation of these topics along with the CMS requirements for healthcare workers and the rules applicable to federal contractors relating to COVID-19. The session will be led by Lorna Geiler followed by Q&A. Participants will be able to ask questions in the chatbox, which will be addressed at the end of the presentation, moderated by a member of our team.