Session Objective: To provide a practical approach to helping children develop a deep sense of number.
• To explore the foundations for developing number sense in Key Stage 1
• To highlight the importance of using a range of manipulatives and images to help children develop a solid understanding of abstract numerals, including the importance of arrangements
• To highlight a range of ideas to help children count in different multiples (1, 2, 3, 5 & 10) with confidence and understanding, using key models and images that highlight the patterns in our number system (e.g. odd and even)
• To explore ideas for helping children confidently explore the concepts of more and less, including 1 more or 10 more than any number
• To equip delegates to help children develop their understanding of place value with two-digit numbers and read 3-digit numbers with confidence