Join us as we launch the 2020 ARNEC Connections with the theme Ensuring the well-being of young children amidst environmental risks in the Asia-Pacific region on 21 January 2021 at 3:30-4:30PM Singapore time.
The 2020 edition explores the nexus between ECD and the physical environment, including the environmental risks young children are exposed to in the region.
The hour-long launch will feature insights from experts on the vulnerabilities young children experience under unhealthy environments and changing climates in the region, as well as the multisectoral, holistic approaches required to ensure nurturing and sustainable environments for them.
The tentative programme includes:
1. Message from Evelyn D. Santiago, Executive Director, ARNEC Secretariat
2. ECD and the physical environment by Dr. Bernadette Daelmans, Team Coordinator, Department of Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health, WHO Geneva
3. Presentations by selected authors
• Clean air for children’s health by Dr. Kidong Park, WHO
• Raising awareness of climate change and ocean acidification effects on young children’s development
by Dr. Maria Raquel da Costa and Dr. Silvana N. R. Birchenough
• Green-blue schoolyards: an effective investment for early childhood, nature, and climate by Julien
Vincelot and Esther Goh
• Environment for healthy development of young children: the policies and practices of a carbon-negative country by Karma Gayleg
4. Response to the presentations
• Marie-Noel Brune Drisse, Children’s Environmental Health, Department of Environment, Climate Change
and Health, WHO Geneva
5. Closing message and launch by Dr. Sheldon Shaeffer, Chair, ARNEC Board of Directors
Moderator: Ms. Sara Dang, Chair of ARNEC Executive Committee
More details on the programme and profiles of presenters will be released soon. Please visit ARNEC's Facebook page for updates!