Goat Camp Ruin, located within the Town of Payson, Arizona, is a relatively small but well preserved prehistoric village containing 25+ surface rooms of both full height stone masonry and jacal walls on stone foundations, a central plaza, a number of stone retaining walls and check dams, a large, partial enclosing retaining wall, an earlier (buried) pithouse component, and several roasting pits that are probably Apache. There is also an Apache reoccupation component in several of the rooms. The site originally measured approximately 300 meters by 160 meters and its Classic Period component was occupied at more or less the same time as Shoofly Village, a nearby archaeological site developed by the US Forest Service (USFS) as a public heritage recreation area.
The site was occupied by Native people archaeologists call the Northern Salado, a sub-tradition of the widespread Central Arizona Tradition, sometime between A.D. 750 and 1280. It has been known to the historic and modern residents of Payson since the 1880s and got its name from nearby Goat Camp Creek, an area used historically by local goat ranchers to water their flocks.
This virtual field trip will include a walk through the site with Scott Wood, recently pre-recorded as well as a question and answer period and comments by Scott on the day of the presentation.