This two-hour training will introduce the foundational steps of proactively and intentionally teaching sensory and emotional literacy, which supports children’s emotional and behavioral regulation
-Helps children find ways to communicate without words how they feel and what they are experiencing
- Trauma memories are stored the reptile brain with sensations, not words
- When triggered, a child cannot access words, so communicating in other ways is the first point of entry for emotional and behavioral regulation.
This Zoom webinar is offered for FIRST 5 Partners and other local professionals such as Social Workers, Home Visitors, Childcare and Preschool providers, Family Resource Center staff, and Therapeutic Service Providers. Parents are also welcome.
Presented by Julie Kurtz, Founder - Center for Optimal Brain Integration. She is an author, national speaker and expert consulting and training internationally on trauma-responsive and resilience building strategies. She has over 30 years of experience working with youth, adults and families who have experienced trauma and toxic stress.
She is a co-author of:
- Trauma-Informed Practices for Early Childhood Educators: Relationship-Based Approaches that Support Healing and Build Resilience in Young Children (2019)
- Culturally Responsive Self-Care for Early Childhood Educators (2019)
- Creating and Sustaining Trauma-Informed and Healing Engaged Early Childhood Organizations and Systems (2021).
- Trauma Informed Practices for Early Childhood Educators: Family Engagement with a Strength-Based and Trauma Informed Lens (2022)
Funded by First 5 Santa Clara County