Bellfounding in a Huntingdonshire Town 1733-1821
Between 1733 and 1821 the Huntingdonshire town of St Neots was home to one of England’s major bellfoundries. The present-day firm of John Taylor & Co of Loughborough is the direct successor of the foundry at St Neots. This webinar will recount the story of the foundry, the growth of the business, its successive owners and its most significant bells. The proprietors were more than just bellfounders, though. They also manufactured a wide range of other cast goods and mechanical products – church clocks, chiming machines, chemists’ mortars, smoke jacks, and weighing engines for turnpike roads. Joseph Eayre, especially, left his mark on the town too as a property developer.
Chris Pickford, formerly the Bedfordshire County Archivist and now volunteer archivist at Loughborough, has a long-standing interest in the history of the firm and is well qualified to tell us about it.