The Accelerating Learning series features five webinars designed for school system leaders, their teams, and other education stakeholders to inform their work in supporting student learning in the pandemic and post-pandemic world. Co-produced by the Learning Policy Institute and The School Superintendents Association (AASA), the webinars provide research on effective accelerated learning practices, examples from a diverse set of districts, and an opportunity for participants to dig into the nuts and bolts of strategies. Topics are summer learning, tutoring, expanded learning time, formative and diagnostic assessments, and centering equity.
How can districts assess their students’ experiences and needs and provide targeted supports for accelerating learning? Panelists will discuss strategies to assess students’ social and emotional well-being, as well as to illuminate student growth and learning through authentic diagnostic and formative assessments. They will discuss best practices to avoid separating students into tracks and to foster heterogeneous groups. This webinar is the fourth in a five-part series focused on strategies to accelerate student learning and support recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Jorge Aguilar, Superintendent, Sacramento City Unified School District (CA)
• Baron Davis, Superintendent, Richland School District Two (SC)
• Heather Hough, Executive Director, Policy Analysis for California Education (PACE)
• Monica Martinez, Director of Strategic Initiatives, Learning Policy Institute (moderator)
• John Payne, Deputy Superintendent, Innovation and Effectiveness
• Molly Spearman, South Carolina Superintendent of Education