Composite manufacturing is changing as the manufacturing industry is more digital, more connected, and more agile to meet the growing demands of the industry. The presentation will cover the following:
• The digital thread has enabled significant advancements in:
o work instructions
o quality verification
• Expansion of the digital thread is now driving connections from
o factory equipment to the internet/intranet (IoT)
o manufacturing to the enterprise IT systems (PLM, ERP, and MES)
• This expansion will have profound impacts on
o enterprise product development speed and agility,
o performance insight and predictability, and
o process efficiency on and above the shop floor.
• Applications to composites manufacturing will be reviewed and discussed from the perspective of Lockheed Martin.
• Lessons learned can be applied across the composite manufacturing ecosystem from material suppliers to component manufacturers.