The practice of evaluating research and researchers based on few quantitative publication metrics has led to the rise of several relevant global initiatives such as the San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA), the Leiden Manifesto, the Hong Kong principles and Open Science. These initiatives call for a more fair and transparent research assessment system, based on quality rather than pure quantity. The new European Research Area also recognizes the necessity to change the current assessment system, moving away from publication metrics and focusing rather on the content, quality and added value of the scientific outputs. However, there are still relevant challenges at the implementation level that call for urgent solutions.
In this EU-LIFE webinar, we will discuss assessment of research organisations and individual researchers, with a focus on promotion and career progression. We will first have a round table with a panel of speakers followed by a Questions & Answers session.
• Kostas Glinos, Head of Unit for Open Science, DG Research & Innovation, European Commission
• Paola Bovolenta, ERC Scientific Council Member and Research Professor at the Center for Molecular Biology Severo Ochoa, CSIC-UAM
• René Medema, Chair of EU-LIFE and Scientific Director of NKI
• Monica Bettencourt Dias, Co-Chair of EU-LIFE and Director of IGC
• Ignasi López Verdeguer, Director of the Department of Research and Innovation at “la Caixa” Foundation
The session is being recorded and will be put on the EU-LIFE youtube channel.