Join expert knitter, Gayle Ravenscroft, for a virtual class on knitting with farm yarns. Some of the topics Gayle will address are:
• Why knitters should consider farm yarns, and in particular, yarns from their Fibershed
• How to find farm yarns
• Projects that are particularly suitable and why
• Breed specificity (including heritage breeds) and why it can matter
• Local designers and the pleasure of introducing a unique and local 'angle' into your craft
• The creation of a monthly knitting circle at the Fibershed Learning Center (on Zoom until safe to gather in person) offering support and community, samples of projects/kits/swatches of farm yarns and projects and eventually more organized visits with individual farms and sheep
Yarns that Gayle is currently working with include Lani's Lana, Meridian Jacobs, Heartfelt Fiber Farm, Ace in the Hole Romneys, Rhoby's Ranch, Chico Flax (these represent a very wide spectrum!). There are quite a few more on Gayle's list...
_ _ _ _ _
This webinar is part of a series that will be streaming live via Zoom from the Fibershed Learning Center,
The Fibershed Learning Center is a multi-use space to demonstrate and provide hands-on connections to natural fiber and dye systems. The Learning Center will open later this year in Point Reyes Station, California, on the traditional and ancestral territory of the Coast Miwok and within the historic Black Mountain Ranch property.
Proceeds from each event support the class instructor and contribute to Fibershed for educational programming. A portion of the proceeds from each virtual event will also be shared with a local and mission-aligned non-profit organization, selected by the instructor. Currently scheduled online events are listed on our Learning Center page: https://fibershed.org/programs/education/learningcenter/
(Photos by Paige Green)