South African Government Official Will Provide Update on WTO Vaccine Waiver as Delta Variant Devastation Foreshadows Devastation of Endless Pandemic.
Ahead of the U.N. General Assembly (UNGA) heads of state summit, Member of the U.S. Congress and heads of labor, faith and health organizations will spotlight in a Public Citizen Zoom press conference why President Joe Biden’s leadership is essential to ending the pandemic.
In the months since Biden’s historic support for a waiver of World Trade Organization (WTO) monopoly barriers to greater COVID vaccine production, little progress has been made. And White House COVID Czar Jeffrey Zients has yet to unveil a global plan as the Delta variant detected in India where vaccines are scarce is now raging worldwide. UNGA and Biden’s global COVID-19 summit will be successful if the president uses them to get the WTO waiver done, require vaccine recipes be shared via broad tech transfer to speed expansion of COVID medicine supplies, and move funding for much expanded global production.
• U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.)
• U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.)
• Zane Dangor, Republic of South Africa, Special Advisor to the Foreign Minister
• Dr. Joia Mukherjee MD, MPH, Chief Medical Officer, Partners In Health
• Father Charles Chilufya SJ, Jesuit Representative for Africa and Madagascar
• Sara Nelson, AFA-CWA, president
• Moderated by Lori Wallach, Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch