This webinar will provide an update on the current status of degenerative cervical myelopathy. It will cover the basics, provide an update on where current research stands and how this influences clinical decision making. The webinar will cover the recent international guidelines, and provide evidence of current bottlenecks in the patient pathway in the UK.
By the end of this webinar, attendees should be able to understand:
1. the basic pathophysiology, etiology, prevalence and presentation of DCM
2. the implications that a diagnosis of DCM can cause on quality of life and societal cost
3. that delayed treatment is associated with a poorer outcome
4. that surgery is the only validated effective treatment for DCM; guidelines propose that surgical decision making needs to prioritise patient symptoms, not imaging.
- Dr Mark Kotter, NIHR Clinician Scientist and Honorary Consultant Spinal Neurosurgeon, Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Mario Ganau, Consultant Neurosurgeon, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
RCSEd Webinar Disclaimer
The content of this webinar is provided for informational purposes only and is general and educational in nature and does not constitute medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. In registering for this webinar, you accept our disclaimer which can be read in full on our website: https://rcsed.ac.uk/webinar-disclaimer