Presentation will be in 3 parts:
1. Defining moral injury, and the role of killing in moral injury.
2. How post traumatic stress and moral injury are often co-present in military veterans. Understanding brain and body factors.
3. Several Interfaith Veterans Workgroup non-clinical treatments for moral injury: meditation, hiking, writing, making art, community service.
3 Learning Objectives:
1. In your own words define moral injury and describe two typical experiences that may cause moral injury in military veterans.
2. Explain how post traumatic stress and moral injury often contribute to severe depression in military veterans.
3. Explain why "Thank you for your service" may not be the kindest and wisest greeting to honor a military veteran, and describe a better alternative.