CET Wednesday 30 June - 14.00 to 15.30
Hosted by MEPs Sarah Wiener (Greens/EFA), Jytte Guteland (S&D) and Martin Hojsik (Renew Europe).
Results of testing campaigns give clear evidence of the recurrent presence of pesticides in public areas, such as children playgrounds where groups with higher levels of vulnerability to exposure are regularly present. Some countries and local authorities in the EU are taking some initiatives to reduce exposure but the problem needs to be addressed in forthcoming revisions of EU legislation.
In this round table we will be discussing opportunities arising with the new EU Strategy on the Rights of the Child and how to use the forthcoming revision of the Sustainable Use Directive and commitments of the Farm to Fork Strategy to ensure effective protection against exposure to dangerous pesticide.
Introductory remarks by the hosting MEPs
• Study: “Children playground contaminated with pesticides all year round in Southern Tyrol", Mr. Koen Hertoge, PAN Europe
• Pesticides & vulnerable groups exposure, a breach of children's rights to a safe & healthy environment, Mr. Baskut Tuncak former UN Special Rapporteur on toxics & human rights
• European Commission: EU Strategy on the Rights of the Child: health & chemical exposure - Mrs Iris Abraham, Cabinet of Mrs. Dubravka Šuica - Vice-President for Demography and Democracy
• Sweden: use of plant protection products banned in sensitive areas, Mr. Peter Bergkvist, KEMI, Swedish Chemicals Agency
• Mr. Andrej Kovarik – Plenipotentiary for Greenery and the Environment, City of Bratislava
Round table discussion:
Priority changes required in EU legislation and its implementation – moderation by Mr. François Veillerette, PAN Europe President
In English with German interpretation. Programme in German can be found here : https://www.pan-europe.info/webinar-no-pesticides-our-playgrounds-schools-and-public-areas