La Democracia Colombiana en la Encrucijada
Colombian Democracy at a Crossroads
Junio 8, 2021. 2 pm (Colombia), 3 pm (EDT), 9 pm (Spain)
This urgent webinar aims to offer a historical, political, and legal look at the current moment in Colombia. We will listen to the voices of different protagonists inside and outside of Colombia to understand the possible solutions to the crisis. Either the varied democratic expressions of citizenship lead to a new Colombia, or the government strengthens its concentration of power and continues to reject popular petitions, repress protest, and institutionalize a dictatorship with more declarations of a "state of siege."
The 90-minute conference will be in English and Spanish with simultaneous subtitling.
Theme 1: What is happening on the ground? Voices from Colombia.
• Maria Elvira Cabrera, Temblores/Indepaz
• Marylén Serna Salinas Social leader and farmer from El Cauca/Lideresa social y campesina del Cauca. Spokesperson from Congreso de los Pueblos/Vocera del Congreso de los Pueblos
• Alexis Tascon Calvo, Member of “First Line of Puerto Madera and Calipso, Cali. Volunteer of Caravana Alimentaria
Theme 2: Contextualization and Analysis: the old, the new, and the future of Colombia's democracy.
• Jessica Corredor, DeJusticia
• Yadira Borrero, Universidad de Antioquia and Pacto por la Salud y la Vida
Theme 3: International Policy Implications
• Gimena Sánchez, WOLA
• Senator Chris Murphy (Pending Confirmation)