Investing in US property – What Asian clients need to know about the US tax, legal, and practical considerations
"What is the best way for a non-US person to buy and hold US real estate?"
It depends. It depends on the purpose of your US real estate investment, whether you are acquiring the property for personal use, or investment opportunity, or both. It also depends on the value of the property, the potential US income and estate tax implications, your tax residency status, your succession planning objectives, etc. Determining the best way to acquire and hold a US property is often a cost-benefit analysis. We will highlight the important US legal, tax and practical issues involved, including the current market condition and proposed tax changes in the new political climate.
Join us for this complimentary interactive webinar, during which Withers' US real estate and tax lawyers, based in the US and Singapore, will discuss the following:
- The US income and estate tax issues that apply to a non-US person investing in US real estate, including certain New York and California state income tax and property tax implications
- Planning options for acquiring and holding US real estate for US tax efficiency and succession planning purposes
- Potential restructuring of US real estate after acquisition and the relevant US tax implications
- Common pitfalls and practical considerations during the US real estate conveyance process
- Potential tax changes following the 2020 US election
By registering for this webinar, you submit your information to the webinar organiser and consent to the organisation using your data to communicate with you regarding this event and their services in line with their respective privacy policies. You can opt out of future communications at any time.
As part of security and compliance restrictions, certain organisations may have blocked the use of external video conferencing platforms such as Zoom. If you encounter this issue, we suggest that you register with an alternative email address and subsequently access the webinar from a personal device.