Our Gangs & County Lines Parents’ Session consists of speakers utilising their lived experience within the criminal justice system to unpack and explore the realities and consequences of county lines drug smuggling, gang involvement, criminal exploitation and serious youth violence. Perspectives from previous perpetrators and runners/transporters, combined with relevant case studies, aid audiences in gaining an authentic and credible understanding of this complex and cross cutting issue. The session will allow parents to identify signs and triggers that a young person might be involved in a county line and know how to appropriate respond.
After the webinar, all parents will be able to:
• Define the term county lines;
• Outline the methods used to groom, recruit and exploit young people;
• Have an awareness of the push and pull factors that contribute to a young person becoming vulnerable and susceptible to county lines involvement;
• List the risks and consequences of county lines involvement;
• Recognise key signs and indicators that young people are being exploited or at risk of county lines involvement;
• Understand the perspective of either a survivor or perpetrator after hearing from an expert witness, including a brief overview of how girls are used;
• Facilitate a safe place within the household to encourage healthy conversations;
• Identify the services available to support a young person at risk of or involved in county lines, and the conventional referral processes;
• Utilise practical advice and approaches to keep young people safe, including preventing and reducing risks associated with each stage of the county lines process.
The webinar will last for 60 minutes followed by an optional live Q&A.