In this 3-hr demonstration, Rachel will show you a grab-bag of tricks to initiate you into the wide world of shoe construction. This will include:
• Looking at a few examples of deconstructed shoes and discussing how and why they were made in a particular way.
• Talking about the various components that make up a shoe, and which items you might use for a shoe project of your own. Materials, sourcing, and tool advice.
• A demo of how to reattach a sole that has opened up on an existing pair of shoes.
• A demo of stitching leather to leather, adhering leather to leather, cutting leather, cutting rubber, etc.
• A demo of how to drape straps over your own foot as you begin a pair of sandals, an ideal first project.
Participants will be invited to submit questions. There will be 30 minute break midway through the webinar, and the webinar ends at 1:30 pm.
A video of the webinar will be made available to webinar registrants within approximately one week of the event.
— — — — —
This webinar will be streaming live via Zoom from the Fibershed Learning Center, a multi-use space to demonstrate and provide hands-on connections to natural fiber and dye systems. The Learning Center will open later this year in Point Reyes Station, California, on the traditional and ancestral territory of the Coast Miwok and within the historic Black Mountain Ranch property.
Proceeds from each event support the class instructor and contribute to Fibershed for educational programming. A portion of the proceeds from each virtual event will also be shared with a local and mission-aligned non-profit organization, selected by the instructor. Currently scheduled online events are listed at fibershed.org/learningcenter.