Sen. Sanders, Other Members of Congress, Will Join Organizations Urging U.S. to Join 100 Nations Supporting Waiver at May WTO General Council Meeting.
Zoom press conference ahead of a key May 5 WTO meeting where Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), other U.S. Senators and U.S. House members, and more than a dozen health, development, labor organizations will deliver two million petitions to President Biden asking him to support WTO TRIPS waiver so that greater supplies of vaccines, treatments and diagnostic tests can be produced in as many countries as possible, as quickly as possible, to end the global pandemic.
The petition delivery will kick off an international week of action in support of the waiver.
• U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.)
• U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.)
• U.S. Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-Ore.)
• U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.)
• U.S. Rep. Chuy Garcia (D-Ill.)
[Additional Senators and Representatives being confirmed]
• Sara Nelson, Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, President
• Abby Maxman, Oxfam America, President
• Pauline Muchina PhD., American Friends Service Committee, Public Education & Advocacy Coordinator for the Africa region
• Matthew Rose, Health GAP, Director of U.S. Policy & Advocacy
• Tulika Singh MPH, Right to Health Action, PhD Candidate in Virology & Vaccinology
• Cate Oswald, Partners In Health, Chief Policy & Partnerships Officer
• Lori Wallach, Public Citizen, Director of Global Trade Watch (Moderator)