Long before there was an FDR Park, there was Bellaire Manor, built c. 1714. In fact, this house is so old that it originally sat at the water's edge, before being surrounded by what is now hundreds of acres of landfill turned into parkland. Longtime caretakers Cheryl and Meryl Brubaker will lead us on a truly behind-the-scenes tour of a hidden historic house that is seldom seen on the inside (public tours ended years ago). This is an opportunity not to be missed!
ABOUT BELLAIRE MANOR
Bellaire is an early Georgian-style mansion located in Philadelphia's FDR Park, completed sometime between 1714 and 1735. Noted for its flemish-bond brickwork with glazed header bricks and original wood-panelled walls and built-in furniture, this house is in exceptional condition considering its age.
Now called Bellaire Manor (sometimes Mansion), the building was known by all variations of Bell Air, and from the names of a long history of owners who called it the Singley House, Lasse Cock's Manor House, and by the name of the first documented owner of this property, Samuel Preston (1665–1743). He was alderman in the Quaker community, William Penn's executor, and eventually served as Philadelphia's mayor from 1711–1712 and treasurer of the province. It's likely that the house was completed at that time of his career.