This webinar will discuss the alignment of the European recovery plans with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). To recover from the COVID-19 crisis the EU will make €672.5 billion available through its Recovery and Resilience Facility. To benefit from the support of the Facility, Belgium and the other Member States will prepare recovery and resilience plans with reforms and investments, which will be submitted by April 2021 in the framework of the European Semester. We will discuss the role of the SDGs in these plans, both for the EU as a whole and for Belgium in particular.
- Jeffrey Sachs, President of SDSN and Special Advisor to the High Representative Josep Borrell on the EU Green Deal Diplomacy
- Nikhil Seth, UN Assistant Secretary-General and Executive Director UNITAR
- Thomas Dermine, State Secretary for Recovery, Strategic Investments and Science Policy
- Veerle Nuyts, European Semester Officer and Member of the RECOVER Task Force of the European Commission
- Dirk Fransaer, Managing Director of VITO
- Eloïse Bodin, Policy analyst, Institute for European Environmental Policy
- María Cortés Puch, Vice-President of Networks, UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network
- Anton Muyldermans, Counsellor to Belgian State Secretary Thomas Dermine
- Peter Wollaert, Managing Director CIFAL Flanders and UNITAR Fellow
All discussions will be held in English.
About CIFAL Flanders & SDSN Belgium:
CIFAL Flanders is a UNITAR-affiliated training centre on peace, human rights and sustainable development, with a focus on the implementation of the Agenda 2030. CIFAL Flanders is based in Antwerp and is one of the 20 international training centres of the CIFAL Global Network.
SDSN Belgium is a Network for sustainable development solutions in education, research, industry & valorisation. As part of Sustainable Development Solutions Network, it takes part in mobilising global scientific and technological expertise for achieving the SDGs.