Session Objectives: To provide a practical approach to helping children understand and master working with fractions.
• To develop delegates personal understanding of fractions.
• To appreciate the complexities inherently found in the teaching of fractions in KS1, including rich links to other mathematical domains such as Number and Division.
• The importance of using correct mathematical vocabulary and providing children with accurate definitions, backed up by visual representations, in order to alleviate misconceptions.
• To understand the importance of teaching fractions practically, and with care, to ensure children can tackle more tricky concepts with confidence when they move into KS2.
• To demonstrate creative, visual, tactile and engaging activities that help children understand, have fun with, manipulate and calculate with fractions.