Welcome to the American Floral Endowment's Grow Pro Webinar Series! Throughout this series, our nationally recognized researchers, hosts, and speakers will offer ‘how-to’ advice based on AFE-funded and other research projects to help the industry navigate through these ever-changing growing challenges. The webinar topics are current and offer long-term opportunities for growers to focus on increased profit, greater sustainability, and improved labor efficiency. Each session includes a presentation and interactive Q&A. To see the full series calendar visit endowment.org/GrowPro.
The February 28th session of our series focuses on vegetative unrooted cuttings.
Successful greenhouse production starts in propagation. This webinar will explore the essential techniques for the successful propagation of unrooted cuttings starting the moment the cuttings arrive at your business. Handling methods, sticking protocols, rooting hormones, mist control, and the propagation environment will all be discussed in detail.
Topics will include:
• How to properly handle cutting from the time of arrival to the time of sticking to minimize losses and maximize rooting
• How to prioritize the order of sticking cuttings from each shipment
• How to organize multiple species on the propagation bench
• How to choose a rooting hormone, the optimal concentration, and best application technique
• How to manage mist systems (mist frequency and water volume applied)
• How to manage the propagation environment (temperature, humidity and air velocity)
Speaker: Dr. Jim Faust, Clemson University
(see bio below)