Good and sufficient sleep is arguably the most important factor in determining drivers’ general health and state of alertness. In this session, learn why sleep is so important, what “good” and “sufficient” sleep looks like, and how sleep hygiene can help drivers get the sleep needed to stay alert and healthy.
Featured speaker: Tom DiSalvi, vice chairman of the National Sleep Foundation Board of Directors, and Schneider National's vice president of safety, driver training and compliance.
Sleep hygiene includes knowing:
• When and for how long to sleep
• Whether naps are beneficiary and, if so, for how long
• How to take advantage of light and darkness for better sleep
• When to exercise and the types that help sleep
• How food and drinks may interfere with sleep
• What are the effects on sleep of caffeine, nicotine and alcohol
• What do sleeping aids do and what other medications affect alertness
• What are the optimal environmental conditions for sleep
• How a bedtime routine may help fall asleep
• What to do when you cannot sleep
This CVSA webinar is part of a series addressing driver topics covered in the North American Fatigue Management Program. Each session is divided into three 20- minute segments:
1. Content delivery
2. Conversation with the featured speaker
3. Answers to audience questions
Even if you cannot attend the session, you may submit your question(s) when you register for this webinar and then watch the recording afterward to view the answer to your question(s) at www.nafmp.org/webinars.