Join us Thursday, May 28 at 6 PM ET for a virtual National Town Hall to celebrate the many ways afterschool programs have risen to the moment to help their communities respond to the pandemic, and to look ahead toward afterschool and summer learning programs’ critical role in recovery.
Afterschool and summer programs are committed to helping parents return to work, and to support youth during this difficult time. But there are significant challenges ahead – let’s talk about shaping a path forward together. We’ll discuss what youth, programs, and communities are experiencing now and what they need to emerge from this crisis strong, resilient, and hopeful.
We're proud to have the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Every Hour Counts, National Summer Learning Association, After-School All-Stars, National League of Cities, and the Y as partners of this event.
Speakers (as of 5/19/20):
- Mila Flowers, Afterschool Youth Ambassador, 21st Century Community Learning Center, Walla Walla, WA
- Jodi Grant, Executive Director, Afterschool Alliance
- Dr. Deb Moroney, Managing Director, American Institutes for Research
- Tony Smith, Whyspeople, Former State Superintendent of Education, Illinois
- Laveta Wills-Hale, Arkansas Out of School Network
- Michael Wilson, PhD, Principal, Magic City Acceptance Academy, Former Principal, Glen Iris Elementary School, Birmingham, Alabama
- Rico X, Vice President of School Age Services, YMCA of Middle TN
- Randi Weingarten, President, American Federation of Teachers
- Joe Buscaino, City Councilmember, Los Angeles, CA; President, National League of Cities