In this talk, Lester will attempt to provide insight into how he combined the various tools, skills, and mindsets of the three ‘product manager’, ‘program manager’ and ‘project manager’ roles to be effective in his job:
• Taking ownership and being accountable for the timely delivery of a product or program (or components thereof)
• Being the ‘glue’ that connects all the different product contributors to each other – communicating across teams, functions, domains, organizations
• Defining the strategy that guides the journey from big picture to task breakdown – the ‘How’
• Paying attention to the details, watching the calendar, being the ‘canary in the coal mine’, documenting the process, following up and bringing closure to open items.
• Growing and exercising ‘soft skill’ muscles – building strong interpersonal relationships, adopting/adapting to different working styles (methodologies, frameworks, mechanisms etc),
• Understanding what powers you have and how to make effective use of them