Ages 16+ Recommended
The purpose of this class will be to provide a basic foundation for beginners in the world of Bioinformatics. This two-hour class will be open to all ages but targeted to middle and high school students (16 years of age or older). However, the prerequisites include a working knowledge of Python programming (recommended) and Biology 101 (specifically DNA, RNA, and Protein).
Biology 101 (that includes topics covering DNA, RNA, and Proteins)
Intermediate Python Programming (or 1 year or more of Python programming experience) and a working knowledge of basic python programming such as input, replace, find, split functions, and for loops.
As a quick syllabus for this class, we will be covering:
1. Basic Biological Concepts
2. Basic Coding Terminology
3. What is Bioinformatics?
4. Important Research in the Past and the Present
5. Solving Bioinformatics Problems by Hand
6. Solving Bioinformatics problems by Python
7. Solving Bioinformatics problems with BioPython
8. FASTA Format
10. Alignment Tools