Session Objectives: To provide a practical approach to helping children understand and master working with fractions.
• To develop delegates personal understanding of fractions.
• To appreciate the complexities inherently found in the teaching of fractions in LKS2, including rich links to other mathematical domains such as Number and Division.
• To understand the importance of teaching the 12 strands (all of which apply to this phase) of the fractions curriculum practically, where possible, to ensure children can reason and develop deep understanding.
• To explore how to introduce children to calculating with fractions, working with decimal fractions and to working with equivalences.
• To demonstrate creative, visual, tactile and engaging activities that help children understand, have fun with, manipulate and calculate with fractions.