This course will explore practical ways to reduce unplanned moves from your service.
Unplanned moves from hostel accommodation and other supported housing projects (in the form of evictions and abandonment) often result in people returning to street homelessness. Repeat homelessness for this very vulnerable client group could be prevented, resulting in better outcomes for people experiencing homelessness and cost savings for the agencies that support them.
Sustaining tenancies and reducing evictions is essential for those managing hostels and supported housing as this is a key requirement of many funders.
On completion of this course you will have:
• Learned how to use housing management procedures as an opportunity to plan for success
• Learned how to manage residents’ or tenants' behaviour effectively
• Discussed how to use good practice from the homelessness sector
• Looked the range of barriers that contribute to exclusions and evictions arising from common housing support practice.
• Discussed how to plan to reduce exclusions using a process of good risk and needs management
• Learned how to adopt a practical approach to partnership working to reduce exclusions
• Explored how to use key communication skills such as negotiation and feedback
• Developed a personal action plan.