1. Groundwater: Your Goal and your Geology determines your Strategy
By Mikael Jorgensen, NIRAS/OCNED : ONWATER SDN. BHD.
Water shortage is common in Malaysia. In some states it is mainly a dry season issue, in other states it is increasingly becoming a perennial problem.
This presentation is advocating that you have to define your goal with a groundwater exploration and then determine your investigations strategy based mainly on the geology of your area, but also other factors. In this process, the goal may have to be modified based on a realistic assessment of the available groundwater resources.
What you will learn:
• How to define the goal of a groundwater exploration
• What is involved in a preliminary groundwater resources assessment
• How the preliminary groundwater resources assessment may lead to revision of goals
• How the investigation strategy may be developed when the goal is defined and the geology is known
2. Denmark’s Policy on Groundwater
By BIRGER CHRISTIAN BLEM, OCNED/NIRAS : ONWATER SDN BHD
The consequences of climate changes have a major impact on the quantity and quality of the water resources in general and in combination with ever growing demand for sustainable water reserves, the groundwater resources play a more and more significant role in the overall water management in many areas and regions that traditionally have relied on surface water as the dominant water resource.
What You Will Learn
• Introduction of groundwater as an important and reliable water resource
• The needs and benefits for robust policies and detailed water resource management
• How a nation-wide groundwater resources mapping can be done
• State of the art of groundwater treatment processes
• The importance of considering long-term sustainability in relation to groundwater abstraction